Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 07:15:54 PM »
Especially since that means I might actually have to look into it.

I'm of two minds in regards to Langrisser mobile. On the one hand, I really want to support the series, and maybe show that there is a potential market out here in the west. On the other hand, its mobage. And on the lower third ligament, I've had just about enough of FEH's mind-wracking time sink as is (especially since its gotten really toxic and I don't need that kind of stress).
General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 06:54:12 PM »
Probably not worth its own thread for the moment given that the FEH thread is basically just Aeolus and I and this point, but in case anyone was curious, Langrisser Mobile just launched today.

From what I've seen so far, it's typical Gacha stuff of course. Really low pull rates (though I guess Langrisser's cast is much smaller so it's somewhat appropriate), lots of grindy systems everywhere and multiple types of currency. I'll figure it out later (or not).

Gameplay-wise it's much closer to Langrisser III than any other entry, an interesting choice given how that's sort of considered the black sheep (fortunately they never, ever made another one after V so they definitely never made one that would be more controversial). Generals and grunt units are combined into a single unit with two life bars, but so far I haven't seen too much play where that actually matters because the grunt life bar runs out much faster. Anyway aping Langrisser III was probably the right choice in this case given how that simplifies input significantly, and even as is this game's basic gameplay is more complex than FEH's- with mobile games you probably don't want to make it to intensive.

It's what you expect out of Langrisser. Sword > Lance > Cavalry > Sword, Priest > Monster, Ranged get ganked up close. Map size and unit movement is much closer to what you'd get out of a typical console SRPG, rather than FEH's simplified 1-3 movement units. There's equipment upgrading and unit class changing (including a quiz at the beginning to determine Bland Lead's class as per usual).

Not much to say about the story so far, typical throwaway gacha crossover crap, but one thing I do find really interesting is that there's a timewarp thing in the story where they put tl;dr versions of Langrisser I and II maps, complete with story, into the game (and I imagine the other entries will come down the line). In a way that makes this the first Western release of the classic Langrissers since we got Warsong on the Genesis, which is kinda depressing.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 12:25:05 PM »
Good luck with your AR climb Hathen. We're at the point now where higher end players have enough Dew to invest in a Lv 3 Offense and Defense fort so don't expect any support from them (whales probably have enough to go Lv 2/Lv 4 on Offense/Defense if they're running enough bullshit).

As for CYL3 voting practices, my efforts are solely on backing the superior waifus. That means a vote for Ayra, at least one of the Lucias, Miranda, Larcei, Machyua, Karin, and then a wild card because fuck only having 7 votes (I'm going to lay off Olwen this year due to last year's 776's 'banner').

At any rate, I expect the declining player base to have a strong influence on the turnout this year as well as the recent addition of Beasts (although whether that means another year dominated by Fateshit is the real question; a strong barometric on who's still getting whaled). But unfortunately, the elephant in the room this year is once again Smash.

For males, yeah, Marth has the best chance this year, with Chrom, Alm and Bruno as runner ups (while I doubt that Reinhardt can ride the meme-train up to the top 2 males due to that 776 'banner'; a Glade upset would be amazing, even if incredibly unlikely due to not ranking nearly as badly this year; a Bloom upset would be a riot, even if he has even less of a chance to rate than Glade). The two biggest male wild cards IMO are Dadfonse and Helbindi (meme axes have surprised us before in Dorcas, Lot and Marty). Eliwood might also cause a disruption due to being the only FE7 lord to lack a Brave alt. Fortunately, even with the Smash bump, M!Corrin probably wont break into the top 10.

For females though, its nowhere near as clear cut. Thanks to the several months of Alt spam, I can't imagine Camilla even ranking top 10 (unless again, this game truly has turned into Fates/Alt Royals). Eirika probably won't do as well either due to her recent Christmas/Legend alts and that we're thinking back to this time last year where Eirika received her first alt (but the GBA era seems to have the most persistent fanbase so who knows). Selkie and Velouria probably stand to clean the most house now that game mechanics no longer stand in their way (but then their votes might have been because of the lack of said mechanics, and the Fates Spam/Alt Salt might spill over onto them as well). Female Corrin still sadly has a real chance at landing a top 10 spot just on Smash support alone (even in spite of all her Alt Salt). And then there are wildcards like Laevatein and Laegjarn who, in spite of FEH's meh writing, still made strong impressions onto the fanbase. Eir, Hel and Queen Embla have powerful possibilities as well (especially the latter two for the Dracula Chair and the Adult Veronica loophole respectfully), but then, last year, nobody expected most of these OCs to become playable by the end of Book 2, so that might also influence things. And then there's Momrena.... Never underestimate the power of a playable mom.

Admittedly, a Miccy upset on top of her being the January Mythic isn't entirely unpossible. Thanks to the 7 vote limit and being unable to change a vote or fill in a blank vote. Priestess Miccyune might still be a possibility (alternatively, an Altina alt would be fucking amazing, but unlikely to happen even in the above case).

Edit: Amusingly, with this Bathhouse banner, there's now more Green Fates alts than there are Green Fates characters in the draw pool (yes, that includes 5 star locked Rhajat, Valla F!Korn and F!Kana).
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:42:51 AM »
It's been on my list for a while, @Annubis

Keep us updated
« Last post by Annubis on Today at 08:52:19 AM »
Starting playing My Time At Portia

If you liked Stardew Valley, there's pretty much no way you could dislike that game.
From the little I've played, I think it might even be better.
I'll see when I hit midgame/lategame but the early game feels better.
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 06:26:50 AM »
Looks like this time they've finally grouped some of the characters together so Marth is very unlikely to be cheated out of a win this year (So pantsless NES Gladiator Marth is probably already in the works). Some like the Annas, Eliwood, Camus/Sirius/Zeke and Burger King don't get grouped together though- I mean, the lines are a little vague here but I do get the general idea of what they're going for, but if they're going to separate them like this I don't understand why they didn't put back Old Man Hector since they separated Eliwood- I imagine there's still some people who actually do want to see the beard on the guy even if we already have 4 Hectors (but then again we'll probably get him in March anyway).

I'd say in the end this mostly only benefits Marth though, a lot of FE1/3/11/12 and 4/5 characters get grouped together but I think people mostly voted guys like Leif to just get them into the game at all rather than for genuinely aiming for the CYL victory (though I guess Finn specifically has a lot of loyal fans so he might do okay). Also the ill-timed salt party for our new Fates bathhouse shenanigans probably means Camilla will get swept under the rug once again.

I'd say Marth and Alm are the prime candidates for males. Marth is obvious, whereas Alm has surprisingly gotten 0 alts so far so there's actually a demand for that, so he can probably inch out his strong competitors like Chrom and Robin M. The wildcards here are Helbendi and Hrid, I'd say- I think they've become surprisingly popular despite their relatively little characterization. I think it's mostly because they have neat, pretty easily identifiable concepts as opposed to relatively blank slates like Fjorm (in that Helbendi's your typical foul-mouthed ruffian with a heart of gold and Hrid's supposed to be this tragic figure who completely failed and watched almost everyone he cares about die). Also Reinhardt if people still plan on meme voting.

For female it's a bit more of a tossup I think. A lot of popular choices from the past year have been completely saturating us with alts, including Eirika, Azura, Corrin F and of course the aforementioned Camilla. Even Micaiah got an alt and if Yune-caiah really ends up being the Mythic this month it'll probably be the death knell for her. Even with that I'd say Eirika still has a decent shot though, there's just not a lot of Dark Horse candidates I can think of- the popular non-leading ladies like Nino and Tharja have alts too. I guess some of the OCs might have a shot, but I don't think as much as Helbendi/Hrid for guys. Plus they just got that New Year's banner.

All that being said, I think I'm mostly indifferent to contributing to the war in the top tiers and will probably do the same thing as last year and vote for minor characters I want to see added to the game- so probably same as last year, I'll put a lot of my votes into Niime. Some other characters like Gonzales, Rath, Haar, Ced, Tine, Arthur, or Mareeta would also be considerations, but I think pretty much all of those guys are near the top of the list whenever a banner for their respective games will come out, and not so much for Niime. Alternatively I could meme for Merlinus I guess.

Also as for the actual goings on, GC is feathertastic autobattling as usual and AR this week is off to a shaky start for me. Already used 1 ladder and I still lost 2 units over my 3 matches. I crunched the numbers a bit and making the cut to T21 is going to be strict even with me maxing my score by running a shitty team clogged with 2 Eirs. I pretty much have to hit every single Aether Fountain/Amphorae the rest of the week to ensure I don't miss out on a match, I can't lose more than maybe 1 unit a day, and to be safe I will hopefully get a kill or two on my defenses every day (though that's quite unlikely facing whales with super buffed up Light Blessed units).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on Yesterday at 02:21:10 PM »
Arvis...  You scare me sometimes.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Ys IX
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on Yesterday at 02:06:17 PM »
I still need to beat Ys VII on PC.
« Last post by Ranadiel on Yesterday at 06:31:23 AM »
I had no idea Digimon Story - Cyber Sleuth would end up as a sort of spiritual sequel to the .hack series. Went in expecting a fun romp with my long time favorite 'mons and a silly anime plot, came out with a game full of heart, decent-to-great characters and god-tier music. A little gem, despite the rough edges here and there. Dat ending.
You should give Hacker's Memory a try. It is a side story that takes place in the same world as CS, and has the same feel. Plus it has a few gameplay improvements.
« Last post by Aeolus on January 20, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »
Fates in 2018 had at least 1 character show up in every month with the exception of June. And considering that late January 18 was when we got our second(.5) round of SS characters (and the first of that game's many alts since), moar Fates is a definite step back (especially after the triple whammy of September's Newbie Fates, November's Alt Fates banners and December being a total skip). Nevermind the fact that with February looking as dire as it does, its throwing that assurance about FE10 and 6 attention into a whole new light (i.e. it wasn't assurance towards neglected games, but FEH's non-altinerary itinerary for the next 6 months). It wouldn't even be so bad if they weren't constantly spamming the same 11+1 (the +1 is Kagero) Fates (non-ruling) Royals every time, but even our upcoming bathhouse banner is theorized to sport Sakura in her second alt. You could call this game Fates;Alt/Royal by now.

And yeah, busted Prayer Wheel straight up makes Lazura a full powercreep over both Falcolivia and Dazura (and the Valkyrie Lance got left out in the cold). You don't even really need anything more complicated than WoM/Dance Buff for a long reaching Lazura buff machine. It'll be a long ass time before the game powercreeps back to her level. Also, I keep forgetting that they made Ward Fliers accessible with Shigure as I've only picked up like 2 copies of the guy (and I 'still' haven't pulled a Legault yet; I'm swimming in Silvias, Soleils, Tailtius and M!Morgans and their mediocre SI options though).

The only good thing about the Book 3 story so far is that Hel is copying SotN-Dracula-sama as hard as she can. Unfortunately, its probably going to take a Ryoma alt (or possibly Dadfonse) for someone to shout something even remotely close to "Die Monster!" or "You do not belong in this world!".

But yeah, with this FB, the Laguz have been the one bright spot in this game since September (especially since the gag-side manga got around to the below).

(Its stupid that its taking a gag-side manga to cover stuff like this. But at least the ball isn't getting dropped completely.)

Bathhouse edit: To noone's surprise, this turned out to be some weak ass shit. I don't know what's sadder, the fact that Hoshido still can't get a banner to itself, or that we're getting a free Camilla for once. And apparently Hinoka was the one sporting the hairtenna. As for this edition of powercreep, Air Orders is Fliers Armor March (although it doesn't look like it affects the skill's holder) and Grandscratcher is a nasty piece of work for teams armed with low charge Special cannons.

But nevermind that shit because, CYL3 EDIT: CYL3 has begun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10