Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19320 on: June 19, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
France... well, we've been invited to a few things, but that would involve speaking French. That's just not worth it. As for China, well, they immediately jump to bootlegging, so I think we win that one by default as there is no actual competition.

In any case, my current situation is still exhausting. The organisation has promised improvements next year, but yakusoku my ass, promises are useless if they aren't build on trust.

Or a good, legally binding contract.

So no I have to figure out how to gently make shit happen, because a lot of organisations are so entangled with eachother pissing off one could cause a chain reaction that will make everything worse for everyone. That means, for instance, carefully and slowly shoving the dirty laundry under the noses of the people involved, instead of just putting everything into a nice basket and presenting it to the public. My inner diplomat and inner journalist are struggling.
Bah you have not conquered either one to me. All this sounds to me like you need to go to China and find whoever the reincarnation of Zhuge Liang is. He can help you with both conquering China and properly strategizing on how to proceed. Or you could always just get in touch with your inner-Patton. He'll whip your inner diplomat and inner journalist into shape as you conquer the convention scene.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19321 on: June 20, 2017, 03:43:49 AM »
Bah you have not conquered either one to me. All this sounds to me like you need to go to China and find whoever the reincarnation of Zhuge Liang is. He can help you with both conquering China and properly strategizing on how to proceed. Or you could always just get in touch with your inner-Patton. He'll whip your inner diplomat and inner journalist into shape as you conquer the convention scene.

I think we need to expand our army before we take anything/anyone more on. Our core group is like... five people? That might be enough if super robots are involved, but since those take a long time to knit...

Plus, it gets weird when everyone has a dozen different jobs. Like, one timeslot you're teaching people Kumihimo, the next you're recording a podcast in front of a live audience and talking about the Dutch manga industry, the next you're selling plushies, and not much later you're hosting a panel on stereotypes in Japanese popculture...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #19322 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
Our core group is like... five people?

Dynasty Warriors taught me that if you're special in China, you can be equal to thousands of people.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19323 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

Dynasty Warriors taught me that if you're special in China, you can be equal to thousands of people.

Inspirational.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19324 on: June 20, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
Supposed to get up to 119 degrees here in Arizona today. Normally I'd just stay inside as much as possible, but I'm going to have to go out into it. Sigh.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19325 on: June 20, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
That's insane.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19326 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
Supposed to get up to 119 degrees here in Arizona today. Normally I'd just stay inside as much as possible, but I'm going to have to go out into it. Sigh.

it's a dry heat though right?

This is why it's never bothered me when people from out west or down south give me grief for it being 4 degrees in february.  It's 83 and sunny here today.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #19327 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »

it's a dry heat though right?

No one who has experienced what it feels like to be outside when it's 119 degrees would ask that. Going outside is like stepping into an oven as the pavement can be an additional 40 degrees (or more) hotter than the actual air temperature. A car that's sitting in the sun all day can reach 180 degrees inside. After 110 degrees, it doesn't matter if it's humid or not.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19328 on: June 20, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
^ I know. My brother used to live in Sedona.  The joke is that an oven is dry heat too so it doesn't matter.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19329 on: June 20, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Pretty sure @Rucks was being sarcastic, since "It's a dry heat, though, right?" always comes out when Arizonans talk about 100+ temps.

I don't think anyone would actually think humidity matters past 100, much less 110+.

EDIT: Ninja'd
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #19330 on: June 20, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
^ I know. My brother used to live in Sedona.  The joke is that an oven is dry heat too so it doesn't matter.

My bad! And Sedona is beautiful and amazing. My wife and I went hiking there a little over a week ago. I also swam in Oak Creek and the water was freezing. It felt glorious.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19331 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:14 PM »
Well to be fair, 119 and humid would be even worse.  That doesn't mean that 119 and dry is OK, of course...

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19332 on: June 20, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »

Also works in Japan, Hyrule, and...Troy?

Pretty sure @Rucks was being sarcastic, since "It's a dry heat, though, right?" always comes out when Arizonans talk about 100+ temps.

I don't think anyone would actually think humidity matters past 100, much less 110+.

EDIT: Ninja'd
I disagree, 100ish and completely dry is perfectly fine. I can't say that I can say for sure whether I have ever experience 110+, but humidity really does make a giant difference.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19333 on: June 20, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »
Car got broken into last night.  I had a bag on the backseat, and someone broke the window to get it.
Bag contents:
  • One plaid(?) blanket
  • One pair of mittens
  • A pair of old boots I wore in highschool
  • A first-aid kit
The thief apparently crossed the lawn, checked the contents of the bag, decided he didn't like plaid(?), and dropped everything.  So, I'm out exactly one window.
Had he unlocked the door and rummaged around a bit, he would have found much more valuable stuff:
  • Booster cables ($30 value!)
  • An ice/snow scraper
  • A block heater extension cord
  • About $15 in toonies and loonies (for parking / coin car-wash, etc)
But had he unlocked the door, he would also have set the alarm off, and since my car was parked on the driveway pretty close to my bedroom window, the situation may have gotten interesting.  Or maybe I'd have mumbled about the neighbours and gone back to sleep.

Things about this that were stupid:
  • I knew at a theoretical level that it was a bad idea to leave items visible in the car.  But, the contents were effectively worthless, and it didn't occur to me that a thief wouldn't know that.  So, I guess this is mostly my fault.  But I still save some blame for the worm who broke my window.
  • I normally park in the garage, but it had been blocked for the last week by a portable dumpster left by the roofers.  They took it away today; one day too late.
  • The sole source of a replacement window is a shadowy entity known only as "The Dealer".  This is not going to be cheap.

tl;dr:  Anxiety level is up a little today.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19334 on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »
It's 83 and sunny here today.

Still too friggin' hot. I swear I need to move somewhere that it's cold all year long. Cannot stand the heat.