Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4470 on: June 18, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
Watch the 1st season of RWBY. The whole 5 min episodes are bit annoying (just smash a few together for less of them mmmkay?) but hey its a fun anime*

*author realizes that RWBY was developed in the west and by mearly mentioning RWBY is legally obligated to take a side in the 100 year ALLCAPSWAR on whether or not RWBY is an anime.

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
^Hey, at this point it's already better than most CGI cartoons and online shorts. I think the only reason why it shouldn't be called an anime is because it's already conquered enough territory as it is.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
I thought the fight sequences in RWBY were brilliant, approaching the level of an art form.  Unfortunately the quality of the writing was inconsistent.  Although there were some good moments here and there, it was mostly mediocre.
After an episode with a battle scene that actually bored me (this was some time after the passing of Monty Oum) I dropped the series cold.  But if we limit the scope to the first couple seasons, I found it entertaining enough.

...but why would anyone care if it qualifies as anime or not?  If you define anime as animation produced in Japan, it's obviously not.  If you consider the style, rather than the country of origin, it obviously is.  Yet neither of those definitions tell you whether it's any good, or whether you're going to enjoy watching it...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
After an episode with a battle scene that actually bored me (this was some time after the passing of Monty Oum) I dropped the series cold.

I did the same (mid season 3) but not because I really hated it or anything, just that I was having some laptop issues and was no longer as into it as I used to be, so... I kinda just never got back to it.  I should, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: June 21, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
A bit later than usual, but here's the next season rundown by yours truly.

Tons of harem or romance no name stuff.
I'm going to skip a lot because I'd simply say they all seem vapid.

http://anichart.net/summer-2017

Anime
Ballroom e Youkoso
Pretty big manga but it's about dancing. Should be clear enough if you're interested or not.

Centaur no Nayami
Pretty cute slice of life monster girl (?) school life thing.
Even though it's so happy and fluffy, the manga has a lot of stinging social comments that make the whole thing worth it.

Dive!!
I don't know anything about this, but it's fairly obvious that it's for anyone that liked Free!

Fate/Apocrypha
I'm usually a big lover of Type-Moon stuff, but this one I just didn't like.
At least it's not as bad as that other Fate spinoff which I shan't even name.

Gamers!
I said I'd skip them but this one needs special attention.
It's got "gamer" as a name and cute girls everywhere. It's soulless pandering.

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
Isekai! I'll watch it because I'm a sucker for isekais.

Knight's & Magic
There's no isekai in the name but it's an isekai. ISEKAI !!!
It's not bad actually. Although it suffers from all the common issues associated to isekais.

Jigoku Shoujo Yoi no Togi
that's a name i haven't heard in a long time gif
Jigoku Shoujo 1 and 2 were good, 3 less so. You should watch these before if you want to watch this. If this is unknown, a quick synopsis:
Ai Emma, the 'hell girl', will grant any wish to those who have a strong grudge against someone but the price is that they go to hell when they die.

Koi to Uso
Stay the fuck away from this. If you want romance whatnots, pick any of the other anime this season.
It's shit with a shit script that leads nowhere and shitty characters which make you go shit... why am I watching this shit?

Marvel Future Avengers
The last Marvel anime was complete garbage but this is made by Madhouse... could be something.
Still likely bad though.

Nana Maru San Batsu
It's not bad per se but the premise hurts it badly. It's trying to be too realistic with a theme that's not very interesting.
Best reason to watch this is if you want to learn some random trivia.

New Game!!
New Game! was like Shirobako but not good. I imagine this is more of the same.

Owarimonogatari (Ge)
For the love of god, please stop milking this.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
I liked season 1 because it had some charm. They lost the charm at season 2 and season 3 was bad enough that I dropped it early.
I can't imagine this being good.

Leftover anime:
Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season
If you want #1 more shounen #2 liked season 1 and #3 are not interested in Boruto, this is the anime for you.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Jesus the first half was boring... can this thing start already? 11 episodes of introduction to the setting and characters is madness.
I'm still hoping here.

Sakura Quest
P.A. Works does good work. It's charming and relaxing.

Dragon Ball Super
It's still super.

Movies
Digimon Adventure tri. 5: Kyousei
More Digimon Tri which is good because it's good. At this point, it's obvious that they pitched a season and got denied so instead they're making movies that are really the same script they had for the season reworked a bit to better fit the time format.

Fate/kaleid liner PrismaIllya: Sekka no Chikai
It's Fate Kaleid. You know I'm going to say it's the greatest thing in the world.

Hibike! Euphonium Movie: Todoketai Melody
Don't hype!!! It's only season 2 in movie format.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: Reflection
I'm intrigued here. The Nanoha movies are pretty good and this has nothing to do with the ViVio stuff.

No Game No Life -Zero-
Watch season 1 and then wait for this. It's entertaining if anything.

Uchiage Hanabi, Shita Kara Miru ka? Yoko Kara Miru ka?
This is probably going to be big.

OVA
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon Special
Bundled with manga. Can't be bad.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 2 OVA
Bundled with the light novel. Can't be not funny.

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: June 22, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Oh God, this is the worst line-up I've seen so far in terms of new arrivals. Oh well. The only ones I'm even vaguely interested in are "Hajimete no Gal" and "Made in Abyss." And yet both somehow make me feel uncomfortable for admitting that. Just...something about Made in Abyss' character and monster designs just seem really off-putting. I remember taking a look at the manga, and I wanted to get into it, but I couldn't get over how everybody looked like blob monsters. The animation I saw in the trailers was really good, though. Maybe it'll turn out alright?

My First Gal totally appeals to my fetishes, though. I can't even pretend like I have any other reason to watch it.

Knight's & Magic
It's not bad actually. Although it suffers from all the common issues associated to isekais.

So it's still bad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:51:22 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: June 22, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »
Knight's & Magic

So it's still bad.

Well... Overlord is about a guy who isekais that has girls throwing themselves at him and is completely OP.
Yet it's incredible and you should all watch it because it's brilliant.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: June 22, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
So I stumbled across Komori-san Can't Decline! yesterday while foolishly browsing Steam's anime sale.  Someone explain this abomination to me.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
So I stumbled across Komori-san Can't Decline! yesterday while foolishly browsing Steam's anime sale.  Someone explain this abomination to me.

Here you go:
  • playing now 0
  • today's peak 1
  • all-time peak 1

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: June 22, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
Well that's a good sign, I guess.  I would have figured a 14-year-old with DDDs would have drawn in mega views.

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: June 22, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »
Knight's & Magic

So it's still bad.

Well... Overlord is about a guy who isekais that has girls throwing themselves at him and is completely OP.
Yet it's incredible and you should all watch it because it's brilliant.

No, it'd still be bad. Just enjoyable in spite of its glaring flaws. I'm just saying: I have yet to see one where I didn't go, "You know, this story could've worked better if they didn't establish the real-world as a parallel to their own, thus destroying the 4th wall before it was ever bult, and instead replaced it with an exotic net of ducktape and elmer's glue in order to keep the plot from caving in on itself simply to accommodate the author's self-indulgent fantasies, seeing as reincarnation is the fairy-dust of the decade."

And that's if it's sufferable enough to make it past episode 1.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:15:53 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
Nobody has mentioned Tsurezure Children, easily my most anticipated anime this season!  I don't even care that it's only 15 min episodes.  Check it out.

So you're the reason they keep making this crap.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Tsurezure Children, easily my most anticipated anime this season!  I don't even care that it's only 15 min episodes.  Check it out.

So you're the reason they keep making this crap.

What can I say... I like the theme 'lost in a brand new world'
So yeah, Isekais, Star Ocean, etc.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: June 22, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
What can I say... I like the theme 'lost in a brand new world'
So yeah, Isekais, Star Ocean, etc.

It's not being 'lost in a brand new world' that's a problem with these stories.  It's coming to a brand new world with total BS superpowers, running around doing whatever the fuck you want without facing any real challenges, having women throwing themselves at your feet for the flimsiest of pretexts, etc.  99% of the isekai stuff out there is nothing but power fantasies.  Take your average dude and throw them into a magical world where everything goes right (for the protagonist, anyway).

That's not to say that there aren't any exceptions, but god are they rare.  Mushoku Tensei stands out, for instance.  Even it has some of those elements for sure, but while the MC is strong he's hardly omnipotent and there are real dangers and antagonists who are even stronger.  There is real intrigue and mysteries to be discovered.  The MC has to struggle and grow over the course of the story.  It's called character development, something most isekai stories have none of.

So why the hell hasn't Mushoku Tensei ever gotten an anime?  The novel has been finished for a while now but I know it was extremely popular, frequently being on the top of syosetsu's rankings.  I kind of have a suspicion that it's because the story is too big to be easily digested into 13 episode seasons...

Instead we're scraping the bottom of a barrel that was mostly full of crap to begin with.

Rucks

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #4484 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
^ does Now and Then, Here and There count as isekai?

It would seem to fit the bill of "Dude transported to another world" but it's also completely fucked and not a power fantasy at all (unless your fantasy includes child exploitation and years of gang rape.  In which case, god help you).

One of my favorite anime series bar none.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:40:48 PM by Rucks »