Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20265 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:37 PM »

Guess my time in gigging bands (especially Pool of Thorns) left me jaded, but that is how I felt during gigs when I saw some of those "midlife crisis/dad bands" on stage trying to be cool/look cool and just coming off like a bunch of man-children still stuck in 1987.  Also, no one was there to see them (because everyone they know is adulting and can't come out to shows), people at the show didn't care to see them (since they were mostly folks in their 20s who wanted to see cool bands with people their age and not "dad bands"), and I don't know... it just felt like I was watching a plant wilting.  Perhaps, objectively speaking, that's "wrong" but that is how I gut-felt. 

Maybe I'm turning into that very thing I despise and becoming a grumpy old man. 

This thing is hilarious: http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/03/03/being-in-a-band-is-for-losers-scientific-proof/

A very underrated good time: go see a tribute band of one of your favorite bands. For the most part Tribute bands >>>>>> the actual band when said band is over 50.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20266 on: May 05, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
Ehhh... that's not for me.  I'm not into tribute bands or cover bands at all.  I only like to go see original bands who compose and perform their own music.  Nothing against tribute or cover bands (or original bands busting out a cover or two to hook an audience), but I'm more interested in what music is and could be rather than what was. 

EDIT:  I had a rollicking good time going to a bunch of comic book stores for Free Comic Book Day dressed up as a Team Rocket grunt.  Even had random people take photos with me.  Some of the freebies are really good, like Stephan Franck's "Silver." 

And I have a new favorite meme:

I'm too old to begin my Jedi training

I didn't find a wardrobe to Narnia when I was 8

I never got my acceptance letter from Hogwarts when I was 11

I managed to reach age 19 without getting reaped

...So Gandalf better come knocking on my door when I'm 50!

Either that, or I encounter The Doctor. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:06:53 AM by Dincrest »
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20267 on: May 25, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
went golfing this morning.  I stink but I had a lot of fun.  One of the guys in my group played poorly and was furious about it. Throwing clubs and swearing and acting like a tool.  I never understood why people pay $30 a pop so they can be angry for 3 hours. Just enjoy that you're outside with your friends on a beautiful day.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20268 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
Did you know:
  • 5% of people get kidney stones.
  • 50% of people with kidney stones get more than one.
  • When a doctor says "this might make you a bit loopy", she really means "these IV painkillers are going to make the dots on the ceiling flow continuously in a north-south direction".
  • If I watch a heart-rate monitor, and focus on relaxing, I can reduce my heartrate by 10 bpm, but it jumps back up when I get distracted.
  • ER doctors at teaching hospitals are so much in the habit of giving verbal quizzes, that they do it even to patients.
  • IV drips now have electric pumps with backup batteries, so when you get bored out of your mind, you can unplug them from the wall, and have a little whirring friend accompany you on your rambling through the ER hallway.

Anyway, I woke up yesterday at 2:20 am, drove myself to the ER around 3:00, and was mostly okay by 5:30.  Then I waited for two-and-a-half hours to be discharged.  I got to work by 9:30, but didn't get much done.  Four hours of sleep isn't enough for a job that expects you to think.

I guess I should drink more water, because that really hurt.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20269 on: May 26, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
I can feel my kidney's after reading that.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20270 on: May 26, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »

Anyway, I woke up yesterday at 2:20 am, drove myself to the ER around 3:00, and was mostly okay by 5:30.  Then I waited for two-and-a-half hours to be discharged.  I got to work by 9:30, but didn't get much done.  Four hours of sleep isn't enough for a job that expects you to think.

I sound... weirdly efficient? I'm glad you're okay.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20271 on: May 27, 2018, 02:49:19 AM »
You had to go to the ER in the middle of the night and still went to work that day?  I think that might have warranted using a sick day...

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20272 on: May 28, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
You missed a perfect opportunity to stay at home, rub your tummy and play rpg's.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20273 on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
FIFA World Cup is almost upon us!  Yay!  It's the only time you can go into an American sports bar and no one is rooting for America.  It's surreal. 

Netherlands failed to qualify.  Boo!  (I root for Netherlands since that's where I was born.) 

I guess I'll have to root for Japan since I'm Indian and Japan is my favorite Asian team. 

Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20274 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:01 AM »
It's okay. We aren't fans of Russia anyway. MH17 and all that...

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20275 on: June 01, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »
Fair point. 

I still feel like we're back in the 60s-80s when Russia was the global villain and every movie's bad guy was a Russian spy.  And I'm like, "Wait, haven't we been all buddy-buddy with Russia since 1985?  You know, Glasnost and all that?  We all work together on the International Space Station, right?"

As for haps...

Last Friday, I gave a speech at a conference for Special Education Advocacy.  It went very well, I've been invited to speak at the conference next year, and some people involved with other student advocacy and exceptionality organizations want to try and bring me in for more speaking engagements.  I just may have to put speaking engagements as another one of my side hustles. 

My new musical project is recording an album this summer and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the studio.  Our first studio date is later this month. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:32:42 PM by Dincrest »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20276 on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:20 AM »
I've been going kayaking every week for the last 4 weeks.   It hasn't disappointed.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20277 on: June 04, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »
Haps:

I was in Canada.

Now I am not.

It was pretty awesome.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20278 on: June 05, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
You remember that bit in FF4 where Yang's wife describes defending herself from a soldier with a frying pan?  Funny scene, huh?  Well, yesterday I got out my grandmother's cast-iron skillet to try cooking some teriyaki steak.

I no longer find that scene funny.

This frying pan is two-hand wield, requires 45 STR, and is as black as Walt Disney's heart.  This is not a joke weapon; you land a clean hit with this, it's going to shatter bone.

The teriyaki turned out well.  The pan was a pain to clean.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20279 on: June 06, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
The pan was a pain to clean.

You didn't use soap, did you??  :concern:
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons