Author Topic: Best version and platform to experience Chrono Trigger for the first time?

Dovah Paladin

• View Profile
After enjoying the excellent Chrono Trigger podcast, I have been motivated to play Chrono Trigger again. However, I am unsure which version and which platform is currently the best. Can you make a recommendation? I have only played the Original SNES version back in the 1990s.

Thank you for your help.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
DS version offers some extra stuff in the form of extra dungeons and a monster battle minigame, otherwise it's the same game between every iteration.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
DS version is the definitive version in terms of content, including some ending stuff that connects it better to Chrono Cross. 

Do note, though, that the DS version's updated localization has its plus and minus points.  For example, a plus point is that in the Prehistoric era,
Spoiler: show
Ayla and Crono are not having a soup drinking contest.  They are drinking "Skull Smash" and Robo even comments that the beverage has impurities/intoxicants.  So, yeah, they are drunk wasted. 
  On the other hand, a minus point is that
Spoiler: show
Frog no longer speaks in the "thou hath" style and that kills his character.  And when you bring him to meet Crono's mom, she calls him "Sir Knight"
 rather than "Mr. Toad" which takes all the punchline humor out of that exchange.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:27:47 PM by Dincrest »
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Oh fuck, I forgot about the super final boss. My bad, Din's right.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
The extra dungeon and boss fight aren't anything to write home about though (if you have any experience with Squeenix's FF 1, 2, 4-6 GBA era ports, then you'll have an idea of what to expect; if not, then expect a long, grindy ass, megadungeon that adds nothing to the core experience, but is instead pure fluff stapled onto the side for those at the postgame looking for a way to level grind up to Level 99 or to make their capped numbers even huger; hell CT has hard stat caps that you don't need super dungeons/equipment to hit, and the ultradungeon utterly defeats the idea behind CT as a light and airy SuperNES era JRPG).

The SuperNES or the Wii VC versions are currently the most definitive experience, with the DS version on equal footing if you completely ignore the added content, followed by the DS version in its entirety, and lastly the PSX FF Chronicles version with its long load times and the PSN port of that version because it was already there.

Like the GBA version of FFVI changed things up so that you have a chance to get the Gold Hairpin from Lone Wolf in Narshe (or a last chance to learn Water Rondo in WoR) as well as infinite Ragnaroks/Illuminas(Lightbringers) later on (all it takes is to farm the motherfucking final boss). The Gigadungeon Dragons' Den was loaded with gimmicky 'even for an FF game' boss fights, trash mobs with capped HP totals and jacked up stats, ultimate weapons for every party member that were still weaker than Ragnarok/Illumina(Lightbringer), armor and accessories that weren't any more impressive than the stuff you could abuse the Colosseum for, and the Diabolo Esper for beating the final boss of the dungeon which teaches Quarter and Meteor or someshit. And then there was the Soul Shrine which was a 100 Floor Gauntlet which you ran in the hopes of gambling against the RNG for items you could take to the Colosseum to turn into Gem Boxes(Triple Stars) because having one super mage wasn't good enough (and by like Floor 60, they were diving into the monster pool from the Gorgeous Deluxe Collectors Edition Ultimate Dungeon Alpha 2 Turbo of the Seven Stars; and yes, it operated on "No Items!, Fox Only!, Final Destination!" rules).

TL;DR: SuperNES/Wii VC/DS (minus the extras) > DS (plus the extras) >>>>>> PSX/PSN.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Marle having a bow that makes her not useless in the endgame on the DS version is nice though.