Author Topic: Most anticipated JRPG of 2018?

Electricb7

• View Profile
Most anticipated JRPG of 2018?
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:07 AM »
I'm super excited for Ni No Kuni 2.

It looks fabulous. Very bummed at them for removing Familiars. I wonder if they gave us an explanation on why they did that. I remember the Familiars being a huge selling point and focus point of the original game. I'm trying not to spoil any aspect of the game so I dont watch any updated material. The last thing I saw was a boss fight with the party using Pikmin looking things instead of Familiars.
Man I hope it drops this year.

Soooooooooo whats your most anticipated JRPG of 2018?
Tell us why!

Also send in your emails for Sollosi to play KH1.
retro@rpgfan.com
or
Sollosi@rpgfan.com

or vote!   http://www.strawpoll.me/14760909
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:14:25 AM by Electricb7 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Most anticipated JRPG of 2018?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it isn't even close.  Ni No Kuni II does look great, though.  Thought about pre-ordering it, even, but there was a bit of backlash to the latest gameplay video, so now I'm not too sure.  Haven't seen it myself yet, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
Fuck the haters. Kingdom Hearts 3. Still super psyched about it.

Also Penny Punching Princess

'Cuz it's called Penny Punching Princess.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
Pretty much the 4 mentioned here. I'd say Ni no Kuni 2 has the edge, since it looks like my thing and I really enjoyed the first game in spite of the serious issues with the AI.

EDIT: Penny Punching Princess is a Nintendo Switch game? Is it exclusive to the Switch? I'm not complaining, it'd just mean I'd have to wait a while before I could play it, since I'm not getting a Switch until Next Spring or Fall.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:12:22 AM by Mickeymac92 »

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
Hacker's Memory, I guess? I'm really not too sure what all has been announced for the year so far, but I know this is coming out and I am looking forward to it.

Another possible contender (if we ever get a release date) would be 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. I want that game so much! But I could easily see it slipping into a 2019 release since we still don't even have a JP release date.

Regarding the other games mentioned so far:

Ni No Kuni 2- Didn't play the first one because I have sworn off Level 5 games and nothing I saw interested me. Can't say anything has changed for 2.

Valkyria Chronicles 4- If we actually get this in the west in 2018 then it could take the spot of most anticipated

Kingdom Hearts 3- I guess my feelings on this one are "I'll believe it is a 2018 game when we are a month away from an announced release date....maybe." :P

Penny Punching Princess- I know nothing about this game

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
Dragon Quest XI. That game looks gorgeous and I adore Dragon Quest. Hopefully the worldwide release is on all three announced systems.

Octopath Traveler if that comes out in 2018. The demo was great and I really, REALLY liked the two Bravely games. Not sure if that working title should be changed or not, heh.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. If this counts as a JRPG then its near the top of my list. I love the IGA-style Castlevania games; I miss having them around; and Bloodstained looks like one in all but name.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:36:23 AM by Monsoon »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
FFVIIR, don't care who hates on me for it. The idea of VII being updated to today's level of graphics and gameplay amd storytelling is exciting. I look forward to playing it and then seeing how well og VII stacks up to it.

And yeah, KH3 also tickles my fancy, as does Ni no Kuni 2.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »
Octopath Traveler might be the only game I buy in 2018 period.

Outside of the art direction (which is superb), I have no idea why anyone likes Ni No Kuni.  It was impossibly boring.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »
FFVIIR, don't care who hates on me for it. The idea of VII being updated to today's level of graphics and gameplay amd storytelling is exciting. I look forward to playing it and then seeing how well og VII stacks up to it.

Saying that in a thread for most anticipated of 2018 is a level of optimism worthy of admiration.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
Despite the fact that no one disapoints like Sega does, its VC4.

Maybe the rumored Fire Emblem Switch game?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »

Saying that in a thread for most anticipated of 2018 is a level of optimism worthy of admiration.
To be fair, it's a 2018 anticipation thread. I am greatly anticipating it for all of 2018
...probably right into 20202...
...not a typo.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Dragon Quest XI. That game looks gorgeous and I adore Dragon Quest. Hopefully the worldwide release is on all three announced systems.

Octopath Traveler if that comes out in 2018. The demo was great and I really, REALLY liked the two Bravely games. Not sure if that working title should be changed or not, heh.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. If this counts as a JRPG then its near the top of my list. I love the IGA-style Castlevania games; I miss having them around; and Bloodstained looks like one in all but name.

These.

Another possible contender (if we ever get a release date) would be 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. I want that game so much! But I could easily see it slipping into a 2019 release since we still don't even have a JP release date.

Valkyria Chronicles 4- If we actually get this in the west in 2018 then it could take the spot of most anticipated

These too.

Maybe the rumored Fire Emblem Switch game?

And this and possibly FEWarriors Extreme/Legends/I-2/whatever system Omega Force uses to signify that this is the expansion and not a full on sequel.

Dragon Quest, because its Dragon Quest and those games are always generally good (aside from DQII), plus that whole 2D/NewD choice (even if I'll likely settle on the 3D because no matter how good they make the pixel art look, there's some level of detail that 2D can't do).

Octopath still has to convince me that its a more robust experience than what Bravely Default ended up being, but I'm hoping for this one to pan out so that I can take the big boobies chick and seduce everything that moves.

Bloodstained is an IGAvania and we haven't had one of those in ages.

13 Sentinels is also something I'm cautiously optimistic for since I'm never not wary of a Vanillaware game (Odin's Sphere and Masamune were gorgeous games, but their gameplay left quite a bit to be desired).

VC IV and FESwitch because I'm a whore for SRPGs.

As for games not mentioned:

Secret of Mana: Because they're supposedly retranslating it and that was something I once cared about back in the Aughts. Also bug fixes and such. If nothing else, I still have my OG SuperNES copy.

Trails of Cold Steel 3 (and maybe 4 if Falcom figures out their localization issues).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

Ooh, definitely add these to VC4 and NnKII.  If all 4 actually come out this year, this will be a good year.  Unfortunately for me, I have no Switch, so that definitely gives Octopath a bitter edge.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
Hacker's Memory, I guess? I'm really not too sure what all has been announced for the year so far, but I know this is coming out and I am looking forward to it.

Damnit, how could I forget that? I'm literally waiting for a chance to pre-order it (Just gotta wait until the morning...).

Also, Secret of Mana is another one, since if there ever was a game that I felt needed a remake to really shine, it was Secret of Nonexistant-AI, Buggy Spells/Stats, Spoony-Translated Mana.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:09:08 AM by Mickeymac92 »

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 03:10:10 AM »
Forgot about Secret of Mana.
Still observing from a safe distance.