Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you

SquarePenix

• View Profile
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
I kinda wish Vita (and 3DS) was digital only.  It'd force the issue.  Why do the Japanese rebel against this technology?  It's the ultimate gaming convenience.  You could theoretically download a game at the stroke of midnight, never have to worry that they will be out of stock, and it's only a few button clicks away.  Why would anyone prefer to waste gas driving to a store (or pay bus/train fare), fight a potential crowd, risk inventory being out of stock for a physical copy? 

You know that Sony is requiring that every single Vita game is available digitally, right?  So if you want it to be digital-only, it can be.  What is there to complain about?

It's not a complaint, but I'm pointing out a fact.  Giving Japanese developers the option means they can continue the traditional physical media route.  By stripping that option, the eastern devs have no choice but to go digital. 

Kurai

• Rpg Loving Gal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
VC toke the wrong turn in VC2...., its a shame, they should have released VC3 for PS3

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
Why would anyone prefer to waste gas driving to a store (or pay bus/train fare), fight a potential crowd, risk inventory being out of stock for a physical copy?
Besides the "I prefer physical" angle (and the fact some bonuses just don't work digitally)? The fact games can be pulled at the whim. If a game goes out of stock you still have the option of hunting a used copy down, or there may be a reprint. If it gets pulled, you either have to find a system/account that owns it, or resort to less kosher methods of getting it. I think the Vita's "every game must also have a digital release" is the perfect compromise, if it isn't closer to having your cake and eating it too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:42:04 PM by Eusis »

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
The japanese also love delux editions with goodies and fancy packaging. Game companies must make a killing doing that shit for certain games.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »
The japanese also love delux editions with goodies and fancy packaging. Game companies must make a killing doing that shit for certain games.

I'm a sucker for some of that stuff.... T___T
As a collector of art books in general, I am thrilled to get them.  I don't really care about the statues though - they're probably why some of the sets are so goddamn expensive.  My one Ass Creed one is nice though...  I put a koala plush on him - it's just darling.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »
I enjoy nice packaging and soundtracks. Art books are ok, but I'd enjoy books with some story or character bios more than that. The original idea for a mini hint guide w/ Dark Souls is ideal. Some of the junk that came w/ New Vegas is rad, I might go ahead and get the delux edition now.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
Personally I also like to have a good manual. Putting in a solid, informative in-game one can be an acceptable alternative, especially for digitally distributed titles, but I love thumbing through them when i get a game. Especially when it throws in story details and stuff.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
I never was much of a PC gamer except for the early 90s and Baldur's Gate games in the early 00s.

The manuals for Wing Commander games were amazing, same thing for the old mechwarrior games. Big honking things w/ pictures of spaceships and mechs. Icewind Dale had some good manuals too. Tons of spell details.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 02:29:51 AM »
I used to be big into hardcore combat flight sims on the PC (which is pretty much a dead genre now...).  The manuals with some of the old Jane's flight sims were godly...they weren't manuals, they were textbooks.

laserSquad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
Currently playing VC2. Definitely one of the games of the decade for me (ties to my nickname, this). I`m happy to hear the original is even better plot-wise, (and of course gfx), but frankly that over-the-top-high-school angle doesn`t bother me that much. The gameplay is king in this one...and graphics and sound (yes, especially sound!) is outstanding on PSP anyway.

About VC3, well...on one hand it sure does suck  - but in last couple of years in gaming there has been a constant stream of disappointing news on all fronts, so I got a bit immune to such revelations. Way I see it, it`s great that the series continues anyway. No doubt I`d rather see it on PS3 in full HD glory - but that`s a no no, and so what can you do. As for the language, well - I`ve decided to learn Japanese after I`m done with Chinese, so it will be nice to pick it up in ~10 years time ;) Also, this series has a cult following in the west so you can count on translation patch.

As for Sega`s "it`s not us it`s you guys!" stuff, I stopped taking game companies` announcements seriously loooong time ago. Yeah, whatever. Who knows. Is it really that hard to localize a game? And how come Disgaea, another allegedly niche strategy, is thriving?

EDIT: just stumbled upon a bring-it-to-the-West-pleeez! petition...do these things work? Who`s to tell, won`t hurt signing though :http://www.petitiononline.com/vc3/petition.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:07:19 PM by laserSquad »