Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
RPGFan: Site / Re: Week in Review Live
« Last post by ScottC on Yesterday at 03:26:14 PM »
In case you missed the first episode here is a link o the VOD and a Youtube link will follow shortly.  If you are a fan or miss a bit of Rythm Encounter we got you covered with this.

Youtube - https://youtu.be/O_JMsgncCQs

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/298933319
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Rucks on August 17, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
I'll just watch the end on youtube.

Been listening to a lot of progressive metal lately.

Earthside - Mob Mentality (featuring Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust, one of my favorite vocalists of all time.)

The Contortionist - Language I: Intuition Metal to relax to

RPGFan: Site / Week in Review Live
« Last post by ScottC on August 17, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
Tomorrow on the twitch channel at 2PM EST will be Week in Review Live a new format for Week in Review where we do it live in a podcast format on Twitch.  It something of an experiment where we talk about all the news and reviews on the site for the past week.  We felt Week in review in a written format was limiting and not a complete review.  So if you have an hour to hang out with us on the Twitch channel each week and talk about RPGs and junk stop on by.  I will say however as an experiment if it goes well it might lead to other video related stuff in the future.  We are testing the waters here essentially and hope you will join us.

More Info Here - http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2018/8071.html
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Arvis on August 17, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ni No Kuni 2

4. Trails of Cold Steel 2

Wow.  Now that's a JRPG.  Whew.

130+ hours of insanely fun, charming characters and gameplay, with a huge playable roster and tons of party-building and customization options, this is pretty close to the perfect game.  It's everything I'm looking for in an RPG, basically.  If I had a complaint it would be that it doesn't particularly respect the player's time, locking an awful lot of story behind pretty huge difficulty spikes.  However, it makes it all the more rewarding when you use the many various tools at your disposal to overcome them.  The game never puts anything truly impossible in front of you until the very very very very very end, so that's mostly a nitpick.
The story and characters here are superlative as well.  Over the course of two games, the world and cast grow in noticeable and rewarding ways, and the more you explore the world and talk to its inhabitants, the richer and more connected it all feels.  There are some troublesome "too anime" clichés and character treatments (13 year old girls are *not* sex objects, Japan) which really do hurt the final product a bit.  And the inclusion of "magic" and "witches" into the Trails canon homogenizes it a bit in comparison to its peers and tears down the distinct and interesting world built by Sky.  But even when taking into account all of this, it's hard to score this anything lower than a perfect score.  Basically, if Cold Steel 2 is not a 10, nothing is.

Cold Steel 2 (and the entire Cold Steel saga up to this point) is a JRPG tour de force, a magnum opus, a masterwork in the genre that every other studio should aspire to and learn from.  Now where the heck is Cold Steel 3??

Final Score: 10/10

Up Next: 
Wild ARMs Alter Code f
   (Nope, not paying $80 for this disc.)
Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat
-and-
Dragon Quest XI
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on August 17, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
Cold Steel 2

Got to the final final boss of the final final dungeon.

Yeah, ultra-mega-uber-hyper-super EFF that noise.  I'll just watch the end on youtube.  You were a superlative joy up to this point, Cold Steel 2, but you've disrespected my time one step too many.  Still, I love you, even though you hate me.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Rook on August 16, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
I'm enjoying Planet With only I have no idea why I'm enjoying it.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Dincrest on August 16, 2018, 08:45:00 PM »
And like I said before to the point where it's becoming irritating, if a two-person husband-and-wife indie developer can craft a game with menu options to adjust font sizes for text (Echoes of the Fey ep. 2: The Last Sacrament), then the more prominent big-budget devs should too, because miniscule fonts that can't be made larger is my biggest pet peeve in the HD era of RPGing.

« Last post by Der Jermeister on August 16, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
Yeah, the original DW also had adjustable text speed and skippable text, so developers of contemporary RPGs that lack them should also be thoroughly disciplined.
« Last post by Limlight on August 16, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
I have to piggyback on forcing us to retrace our steps to exit a dungeon. The original friggin dragon warrior had a spell to warp you out of a dungeon so any "modern" rpg that did not should be bitch slapped.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10