Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by RPG-Man on Yesterday at 06:23:39 PM »
@Dincrest Oh man you really brought back one of the most baffling shit in JRPGs, you work so hard and level up so much just to beat the hardest boss in the game, and what do you get ? the most powerful weapon in the game...cool...must be great since I have no freaking use for it now isn't it.

Or when they do shit like in Legend of Legaia, where in order to get the most powerful summon, Juggernaut,  all your characters need to be at level 99, to put this into perspective, you usually beat the game around level 45-50.

« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 04:29:24 PM »
Although not a pet peeve or anything remotely detestable, I sometimes question the logic of rewards given after optional super-boss battles. 

For example, defeating Ragu Ragla in Wild ARMs gives you the Sherriff's Star. It's not a bad prize prize as equipping it as an accessory negates all status effects.  However, do you really need it?  You already defeated the game's most powerful boss without it and the final boss will be a pushover in comparison. 
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 02:52:00 PM »
Playing through the second temple in Zelda 2 on a modern tv is an exercise in eye torture. The lime green bathhouse tileset was bad enough on a CRT, but on a flatscreen with a lower refresh rate causes everything to just blur together in a garish pea green smear.

But enough about emulation issues, Granstream Saga's excuse was in being devolved and released in the height of the "How do I even 3D?" era of 3D game design.

Another thing that annoys me are games that give out mostly monetary rewards where there's little to nothing to buy and no way to store the excess, especially in a game with a low wallet capacity. Imagine that I cleverly posted that Simpson's image of 'not accepting Scratchy Dollars' following this.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 09:45:31 AM »
I think Fairy Fencer F and Granstream Saga were the worst offenders in terms of cameras being panned way too close to the characters to the point where it hindered exploration. 

But whatever camera issues Grandia had were fixed in Grandia 2, which I thought had a fantastic camera.  Everything panned smoothly, particularly in battle.  By contrast, Skies of Arcadia had very herky-jerky cameras in battle which made me a little seasick.  Combine that with the strobe effects making my eyes (and by extension my brain) go a little funny, and Skies of Arcadia was a very uncomfortable game for me to play.  That's why Grandia 2 is my pick for #1 Dreamcast RPG, despite Skies of Arcadia being the objectively superior game.  I don't like when games cause me physical discomfort.  Another one that caused me physical discomfort was Paladin's Quest.  That game's color scheme gave me massive eyestrain.  I couldn't play it more than 5 minutes. 
« Last post by Frostillicus on Yesterday at 08:39:13 AM »
I can't disagree about grandia's story (the original) but damn did the battle system click with me, maybe i'm in the minority with this?
Yeah. I fucked up and didn't give Grandia's battle system its due. Granted the games often err on the easy side, but beyond that they're amazingly solid for their gameplay. But, yeah. You are definitely not alone in this. Its the main reason why the series is still even remembered today.

RE: Grandia 1 - Great battle system... SHIT exploration. Seriously, the camera is so damn close, I'm surprised it never hit any of the characters in the face. I gave up before finishing, it was so aggravating...
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 04:58:41 AM »
And once again I find myself in the middle of our spread of luck in that it only took me 75 Orbs to get pity broken by +Spd/-Atk Male Morgan (also got a 4 star Libra out of it so its not a bad turn out), but its' gonna be awhile before I can pull again.

That said, I'm loling at the fact that we're getting more worldbuilding from FEH than from Fates in regards to Fateslanta.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by ironmage on August 12, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
I wired the garage door into the doorbell, so now if I forget to close the garage, the doorbell rings.  The signal is three consecutive rings, and it triggers once 90 seconds after the door is opened, and then every fifteen minutes after that.  The project dragged out much longer than I expected, entirely because a certain Chinese ebayer apparently interpreted "expedited shipping" as meaning "via rowboat" (currently three weeks late and counting).  I ended up ordering the same transceivers from a company halfway across the province, and got them a week later.

For my next trick, I think I'm going to see if I can get the microcontroller to send me text messages, as well as ringing the doorbell.  Being able to open/close the garage door via internet (in case I forget to close it after leaving the house) might also be interesting, but would be difficult to secure properly, and I'm running low on I/O pins.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Annubis on August 12, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Re-watched another blast from the past that's completely forgotten by now.

Coyote Ragtime Show
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1194/Coyote_Ragtime_Show
It's way better than the 6.71 score on MAL would lead to believe.

It's a non-stop, action fueled, space pirate/heist anime with no punches pulled.
The animation is pretty good and the action sequences are well made.
The characters are super charismatic - heroes and foes alike.

It's funny because 12 episodes is not all that much for world building or character development, but they do a really good job at both without sacrificing the main story.

As for the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eilfm6TThI
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Rucks on August 12, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
Flux pipe in my car just snapped.  Yes it's a real thing, google it.

So now my little VW rabbit sounds like a monster truck (and some of the exhaust is now being released directly into the cab...).  Luckily it's an easy fix UNLESS the flux pipe is also connected to my catalytic converter.  In which case a $50 part because a $400 part.

I've put half as much into this car as I paid for it off the lot... (And I'm finally done paying for it in November).
« Last post by Agent D. on August 12, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
Og Richter hands down. Those lines were truly epic and cheesey and amazing. No one cares about Alucard's voice because he just beat dat ass, but Richter and Dracula's conversation is easily my favorite voiced moment in a video game....it's also the only one I memorized...so that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10