Author Topic: Ys VIII

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • Turn Based Memories
How's the soundtrack?
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:35 AM »
Is it all heavy metal? I want Ys Metal!
Click HERE for the ONLY JRPG podcast that has an original format.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »
It looks like NISA's efforts to bring this game over to PC is still an epic fail.  I find myself utterly unsurprised.  What does have me concerned is how the game is delayed indefinitely.  That there's no window at all for a release is more than a little ominous.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:04 PM »
On the plus side, I'm sure they will reconsider using XSEED next time instead of NISA.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:00:07 PM by Annubis »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
On the plus side, I'm sure they will reconsider using XSEED next time instead of NISA.

If there is justice in the world, yes.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »
If NIS America is willing to pay them more money to localize their games, then Falcom will likely not switch.  After all, the market they're concerned about is Japan.  They don't seem to care much for the wider market.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2018, 09:10:01 PM »
So I just read the article announcing the release of the new translation patch.  I won't lie, a part of the article annoyed me.  The part in particular that I take issue with is the referencing of the original translation as abysmal.  While it certainly wasn't a good effort, to call it abysmal is definitely an exaggeration and one I find inappropriate.

It's merely mediocre, not abysmal.   Moreover, the original voice over work was relatively solid, which mitigated some of the issues with the original translation.  Again, I'm not a fan of the original translation.  I think it was definitely substandard and by all indications, the new localization is a definite improvement.  Still calling it abysmal (when there have been far worse efforts published before) is unfair to NIS America.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
^ Sensationalism.

<---Catastrophic
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
This crap again?

I would say this qualifies as abysmal, but I think they'd prefer if I call it "big holey".  Right up there with All Your Base.  Probably the worst localization I have seen in over a decade.  To pretend this qualifies as "mediocre" is not only inaccurate, but unfair to EVERY localization team out there busting their humps to try and actually do a decent job.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2018, 06:12:35 PM »
I'm hoping that necroing this thread for a question is preferable to creating an entirely new thread. If I'm wrong about that, I apologise.

After years of reluctance I've finally gotten around to Ys: Seven. I've avoided it because the things I enjoy most about Oath and Origin are the fast gameplay and short length. They're wonderfuly focused action games with very little 'fluff' -- the perfect type of thing to play between longer, slower paced games. Thus when they transitioned towards longer, slower paced games, I can't say I was all that excited. But everything deserves a fair shot at some point!

Which brings me to my question: do party members ever do much in combat, either in this game or later entries? After a few hours I've noticed they rarely attack, only have passive support abilities, and can't take damage, which results in 98% of the fighting falling on whomever you are currently controlling. While this isn't a negative for an action-heavy game, it makes me wonder what is gained by their presence (outside of the story). If Adol could equip three different weapon types, each with its own set of skills, passive buffs, and properties, would it not be a mostly identical experience?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:14:44 PM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
First up, just to be fair, you necro'd an Ys 8 topic for Ys 7. I mean you necro bump'd anyway, what's a few extra years? Just bustin chops, but yeah...i don't think anyone actually minds a necrobump, and if they do they're probably the same sticklers who get upset when you don't capitalize proper names in casual conversations.

As for the question, I don't recall the A.I. in Ys 7 being all that impressive. Nothing ever fights at the speed you'll be swinging and dodging at so don't expect your lesser a.i. compatriots to ever hold a candle to you. Same for the later party-based Ys entries, though in 8 I'll admit that the a.i. at least does put work out there. It's just that you move so quickly generally that they don't have much of a chance to keep up with you.

TASTY!

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2018, 12:32:15 AM »
The rules say not to necro, but also that it's pretty laid back. Considering I tend to be cynical, sarcastic, and hyper-critical, I'm guessing I'm not exactly a popular person (*cough* overly-long, overly-sarcastic Xenoblade 2 post *cough*) (I regret nothing), so I generally try to be a good boy.

Thanks for clearing that up. From what I gathered little seems to have changed between Seven, Celceta and VIII, but I wanted a direct confirmation. Seven is a good game, but it's not really fulfilling what I enjoyed about the older ones. The greater focus on story falls flat for me due to the knowledge that, come the end of the game, Adol will sail-away completely unchanged (which is why the lack of Adol made Origin pretty engaging imo). The combat may lack the same frenetic fun, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I'm just not really sure what the party system adds aside from the need to hit circle a few times to kill certain enemies.

These are nit-picks and I don't want to sound down on Seven. Falcom is changing up the formula (not a bad thing), and from the sounds of it VIII did pretty well critically. No idea how it did commercially, but that's on NISA...

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2018, 01:14:19 AM »
Your AI party member in Seven tend to play extremely conservatively.  In a way that's a good thing because they don't tend to get themselves killed like some AIs do.  In fact other than big area attacks and things they don't tend to take damage at all.  But at the same time they deal very little damage.

It's a pretty unusual party system in a lot of ways.  In some sense it's not really a party system...it's always up to the character your controlling to do most of the work.  Switching characters feels almost more like switching weapons to target different weaknesses.  But I think it works for Ys since it was never party-focused in the first place.

Though I found that Seven could drag on for other reasons I mostly enjoyed the combat.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
Is it weird if I'm coming to the conclusion that Ys: Seven plays more like a Seiken Densetsu game than a Ys game? I've only played SD 1, 2 and 3, but I get more vibes from those games than I do Ys vibes.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »
I can't do it anymore. After seven hours (irony) I'm so bored with Ys: Seven. Why did they replace the quickly-charging mana system with this? 90% of the game is just spamming standard attacks, where everything moves at a pace I can barely describe as 'clipped'. Most dungeons have just been circles and squares connected by walkways. Approach a circle, enemies spawn, select whoever counters them, spam attack and roll, move on.

I'm not saying this new way is without merits: some of the camera angles do a great job of showing off locations (the approach to the wind dungeon, for example, was neat). If the futility of the plot doesn't bother you, then there's probably something to be gained from giving it more room. The skill system isn't bad: had they mixed it with the old mana system or a hyper sped-up version of what they have now, it could've been pretty neat.

All in all I feel like I'm playing a faster-paced Diablo-clone, and it's just not for me.

Music is still pretty good. No Scarlet Tempest, but eh, I'm a simple man.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:41:33 PM by Grainofariver »

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2018, 02:29:20 AM »
FYI, they did patch a much better translation. For example, that "big hole" became "chasm".