Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #1455 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »
So I've been watching Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain's travel show) on netflix. The Tokyo ep is ok, they show a cute tattooed dominatrix get tied up in rope bondage... but the best ep is Quebec. He eats so much good food, the best food I've ever seen, that it's beyond crazy. And I'm not talking just poutine and other stuff....

Watch it!

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 06, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »
New season of Trailer Park Boys is on Netflix now. 2 episodes in and it hasnt missed a beat. Im ecstatic:))
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 12, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
I watched the first episode of House of Cards last night. Man, I can tell this is going to be GOOD. Spacey is great, of course, but who really impressed me is Robin Wright. She's awesome. Such a strong presence.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1458 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
^ House of Cards is great.  I also find Robin Wright very easy on the eyes.

Anyways, I blew through Gravity Falls's first season, and it is quite possible the best and most recent secret that the Disney Channel has to offer.  Don't let the big "D" (um, Disney that is) throw you off, this show is *amazing* for all ages and has a very clever sense of humour.  Beyond its own goofball humour and wit, the show makes numerous allusions to all sorts of things: Pop culture, music, old myths and monsters, and it also tugs at nostalgia for videogame and film references.

Probably one of the most interesting things about it, however, is this ongoing narrative that extends beyond its "episode of the week" format.  Gravity Falls is a monster/myth show starring two plucky kids, their gross great uncle, a large motley crew, and an ongoing mystery of what is happening in their town.  The secret journal the kids find contains numerous, solvable, cryptograms with either random funnies or in-show secrets.  One major page of the book is literally full of them.

An ongoing mystery, an amazing humour, and episode plots with an extraordinary cast of characters makes Gravity Falls an easy recommendation.  If you see it, watch it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1459 on: September 23, 2014, 01:54:04 AM »
GOTHAM.

Ooookaaay.

= As far as a Pilot goes: Great job!  They managed a bit of everything happening at once.  Action, mystery, misdirection, romance, allusions, references, and some characterization.

= Saying that, the actors don't seem too cozy with their roles just yet.  But that's common for pilot episodes and a big hurdle to overcome.

= The complaint about being hit with a TON of 'future villains' is true.  Shit, let's just get 'em all in there.  Worse is how completely unsubtle it is.  Ivy? LOTSA PLANTS.  Penguin? BUM LEG, POINTY NOSE.  Selina Kyle? STEALS MILK FOR CATS.  Riddler? WHAT AM I? A QUESTION! 
I was half expecting a bat to weep with Bruce Wayne when his parents get shot.

= The director of photography and cinematographer did a stand up job.  Definitely made a TV show feel less like 'TV'.

= I just made fun of her, but holy shit if their actress for Selina Kyle didn't look like she had kitten DNA.  Her wide eyes, straight nasal nose, and tiny chin make her look like a real-life kitty cat.

= Anyways, it was bumpy.  Great in some places, kinda hammy in others.  But I wanna follow it. I think it's a cool idea being played out in the right time.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 23, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
So recently watched some of the recent episodes of Defiance. Loved how the last episode that I watched started.

*girl gets murdered*
*opening credits play*
*former mayor comes to inform Nolan of the murder*
"Don't have time for your drama of the week, world's about to end. Gotta save my daughter. Feel free to make yourself deputy though. Later."
*Nolan leaves with a small armory of weapons*

I love Nolan, and hate just about everything else about the show. >.>

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 23, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
GOTHAM.

I enjoyed it for the most part. People were worried that the pitch for "Crime drama, but in pre-Batman Gotham" would get overshadowed by the producers' need for "BATMAN REFERENCES EVERYWHERE!!!" So I was surprised that they managed to find a compromise, where they have plenty of Batman references, but they don't steal the show.

That being said, Selina just annoys me. They haven't presented any real character arc for her because she's essentially already just the Tiny Toon version of Catwoman.

SCORPION

Half the trailers for the show make it sound fantastic, the other half make it sound god awful. Thankfully the pilot was more on the former side. Maybe not fantastic, but certainly showing some potential. The only thing that hurts the show is that apparently the "director of Fast & Furious" has no drive (hehe) to diversify beyond his comfort zone. The show is about a bunch of geniuses solving problems, and the show still manages to find every opportunity it can to show off cool cars driving really fast and sometimes crashing.

Also, if the "human calculator" character spends one more line saying the group "Now has X% chance of success," I'm going to find the writers and punch them in the face for using a stereotype that is SO far off base. Sorry, someone that smart would know an accurate calculation for something like that would be impossible, much less something you can just blurt out on the dime.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
Agents of SHIELD.

Xena couldn't last one episode. Drat.

Also she got wide in the last 5 years or so. Daym.

That said, darn did Sky hit the gym.

Also also, its good to see that they aren't wasting time on bringing out the Supers this time around.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 29, 2014, 07:02:29 AM »
Finished Defiance season 2 yesterday. I almost wish that they had failed in stopping the end of the world. I really can't say that I care about anyone in Defiance except for Nolan, who would have survived the end of the world somehow. Apparently there is going to be a season 3, so I guess I'll stick around for that. Maybe?

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 30, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
6 eps into House of Cards, and it's still fantastic. I can't help but think this is pretty darn representative of behind the scenes politics. Poor manipulated Russo.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 01, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
Oh man, Castle is killing me. I don't think I can watch it anymore. Last season was merely okay, but I'm really to the point of not caring now. I will probably give it a few more episodes into the season before I stop watching altogether, but unless something changes I think my Monday 10pm TV slot will be open.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 05, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »
I just borrowed season 3 of walker Texas ranger. This is probably the best example of a show with "so bad it's good" kitsch value in the history of American television.  Chuck Norris spent the first 2 minutes of the first episode talking about how he's part Native American (lol!). He then spends the next 40 minutes battling an escaped mental patient who is constantly quoting bible scripture, while also managing to jump out of the way of 4 explosions, get in a high speed car chase that ends when the car walker is chasing drives off a bridge and explodes BEFORE it hits the ground.  The beat part though, is when walker round house kicks an entire biker gang into submission and they then proceed to ARREST THEMSELVES.  its simply brilliant television.

Edit: I just watched the end and I changed my mind, the best part is when the mental patient guy blows up every house in an entire city block one by one while chuck Norris  runs slowly away from each blast.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:21:34 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 05, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
Holy shit, episode 2...walker had a Lamborghini Diablo bearing down on him at full speed and decided to rectify the situation by doing a freaking drop kick through the front windshield. Of course the driver is immediately knocked unconscious (and the car someone stops) while the Chuckster walks off without a scratch. classic walker!

Episode 3: walker just caught a dead body with a fishing pole!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:17:22 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »
Holy shit, episode 2...walker had a Lamborghini Diablo bearing down on him at full speed and decided to rectify the situation by doing a freaking drop kick through the front windshield. Of course the driver is immediately knocked unconscious (and the car someone stops) while the Chuckster walks off without a scratch. classic walker!

Oh man, I loved Walker Texas Ranger back in the day. It was definitely one of those "so bad it's good" shows. My family watched it every week, and it was loads of fun. Plus it's Chuck Norris. The man literally became an internet meme! Doesn't get much better than that if you ask me.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 06, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »

Oh man, I loved Walker Texas Ranger back in the day. It was definitely one of those "so bad it's good" shows. My family watched it every week, and it was loads of fun. Plus it's Chuck Norris. The man literally became an internet meme! Doesn't get much better than that if you ask me.

Except when he did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pnFg0Sp2Xw

Ok, maybe that wasn't better.
;-)