Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 12:38:26 PM »
^geometric proofs are why I decided to go with liberal arts in college and grad school...
« Last post by Kevadu on Today at 12:27:36 PM »
Maybe some people do need personal finance classes.  I never felt like I had a shortage of that kind of information personally, but I'm sure there are some who don't.  However I object to the notion that it would be a math class...

Frankly the actual mathematics involved in personal finance is pretty trivial.  There is a reason you're seeing the subject covered in special ed.  Stuff like "get a credit card early to start building your credit history" (which is what started this discussion I believe) isn't exactly mathematics.  It's just information about how the system works.

Look, I remember learning how to calculate compound interest in middle school.  We spent a couple of days on it because if you understand exponentiation that's all that is required.  And compound interest is probably the most mathematically complex thing you will ever do in personal finance.  Most of it is simple arithmetic.

If my high school math classes wasted time on that kind of trivial stuff I think I would have felt a mixture of boredom and being insulted by the simplicity of it all.  Give me geometric proofs over that any day.

(note: I went on to get a PhD in physics so I might not be normal...)
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 10:42:35 AM »
And if I am to look at things like the credit crunch crisis, the subprime mortgage fallout, and all that good stuff, I'd venture to guess that a significant percentage of the parent generation wasn't very good at that "business/consumer math" thing either and it's blind leading the blind at best, if there's any teaching being done at all. 

And I look at my late father.  Genius chemical engineer, probably the most brilliant man I'll ever know.  But his financial savvy left much to be desired.  He grew up in a very wealthy family, but through a Murphy's Law domino effect of bad business deals with shady people, the family lost everything.  All of a sudden, he had nothing and he had never been acclimated to being without.  That's why he totally fell victim to the "buy now, pay later" paradigm of the credit crisis, because he could never come to grips with having caviar tastes on a grilled cheese budget. 

I have a naturally common sense financial savvy, but the system is complicated.  Financing a car, mortgaging a home, interest rates on credit cards, making heads/tails of the most sensible insurances to get, financing your higher education... it's challenging stuff for anybody, whether you have a PhD or a GED.  Yeah, we expect "normal" people to get it or be taught that, but how many really are taught it well, if at all?  For every one of me with excellent credit, there are tens of thousands who have piss poor credit and could not get approved for diddly squat.  They were never taught properly if at all.  So having one yearlong business/consumer math class isn't going to hurt anything.  It will actually help. 

Plus, again, special needs students NEED to be taught business/consumer math, especially so that they can advocate for themselves regarding how their SSI is utilized.  Things that come naturally to us neurotypicals do not come naturally to those with developmental delays or whatnot.  So it's more important to teach them financial acumen over y=mx +b.  Mom and dad won't be around forever, so it's important to make sure they have the tools to be independent.  And an important tool is business/consumer math. 

I'm fine with school math requirements having theoretical components like an algebra class and a geometry class, but the third year math requirement should be applied business/consumer math so you don't fail at life.

Three cheers for civics and business/consumer math!
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 10:12:13 AM »
^um because not every child is a lucky as you were and don't have parents that give a toss about them or their learning habits.

Exactly. Not to mention that there lots of adults who never had the opportunity/ability to gain that knowledge themselves and thus can't pass it on to their children.

One of the lectures in my arsenal is about personal finances, and if everyone was learning that from their parents, there wouldn't be a demand for lectures like that anime conventions.
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 07:16:53 AM »
^um because not every child is a lucky as you were and don't have parents that give a toss about them or their learning habits.

And the vast majority of American college graduates go to public school (and still have insane student loan debt) so I'm not sure where you pulled that junk statistic from.

I often wonder what it's like having a world view that's not even a little bit based on reality ...
« Last post by Seultoria on Today at 06:24:44 AM »
Your parents are the ones who should be teaching you good habits about spending, saving, credit cards, etc. I have great credit because I pay off my card every month. I save as much as possible. Even when I got my first part-time job, my dad told me to save half of the paycheck and the rest could be spent on whatever I want.

I don't see the point in having teachers teach a subject like this, especially when most of them probably went to a private college and have $100K in student loans.
I saw Doctor Strange, one of the MCU films I skipped on partly due to never hearing of the character. It has the same annoying cliches found in almost every Marvel movie, including a bad villain and throwaway female characters, but I will say that this movie is visually a lot more interesting than the other MCU films, and the ending action sequence and resolution were especially enjoyable.

Also watched the Power Rangers movie hoping for a movie I could endlessly make fun of, and was disappointed to find what I would consider a competently made movie. Was hoping for a cheesy/campy movie, but it played it more like a typical modern superhero movie. I feel that was a mistake since that puts it in competition with the oversaturated superhero market, and it falls pretty short in that light. It does have one hilarious line I remember though, but it was totally unintentional, along the lines of "You've done awful things, but that doesn't make you an awful person."

War For The Planet Of The Apes. Was hoping to see this in theaters but never got the time to when it was out. Not much to say other than that it was another great entry in a great series, though I personally liked Dawn a bit more. It makes me glad that this series has done pretty well because it shows there's still a way for the more serious and thoughtful scifi movies to do well, though I guess it helped that it's part of one of the most famous scifi IPs around.

Finally I also saw Looper. I honestly found it a bit predictable, but it was definitely one of the better scifi movies I've seen. It's also nice to see Bruce Willis in a relatively recent role where it looks like he actually gives a shit.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 05:32:15 AM »
I don't think they'll give the Fates kids their parent's weapons for precisely that reason, coming off such a recent announcement of them trying to keep older units semi-relevant (plus Shiro would fit better as lance infantry anyway). It'd also waste an opportunity for them to come up with some ridiculous Prfs just for them.

Also I got 20 orbs again so I tried pulling and was treated to a third board with no greens. This game really seeks to piss me off sometimes. Anyway got a 4* Shanna.
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 04:39:53 AM »
I loved theoretical maths and took advanced maths classes in high school. Since graduation I've used maybe 5% of what I learned in real life, but those classes did break up my school days nicely. I mean, I get to solve fun puzzles and get showered in praise for doing so? Sign me up.

I did follow some subjects that featured much more practical maths though, especially Management & Organisation (which was, ironically, taught by someone named Marx). It focused mostly on running a business, but there was certainly stuff in there that could be used to manage personal finances.

That was at VWO level, by the way. Over half of dutch students are on the VMBO track, and subjects there are a lot more practical. VWO prepares for university, VMBO prepares for life. (Well, actually, VMBO prepares for vocational college, and vocational college courses also feature some life skills courses.) There is HAVO as well, which lies somewhere in the middle of VWO and VMBO. And VMBO, HAVO and VWO all have different tracks as well. It's complicated, but it does leave some room for individuality.

Speaking of struggles, mine was language related. I wasn't all that great at speaking in primary school (I didn't get many chances to do so and my increasingly low self-esteem wasn't helping either). Teachers thought I was slow because of that and put me with children with learning disabilities when we needed to do group work and such. Those kids tended to be really loud and that made me even more quiet. They didn't find out until our first big standardised test that I was reading at a much higher level than average and was ahead in all other subjects as well.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 03:10:09 AM »
Kiragi

I sort of hope not, because with the powercreep as of late, he'll be superior to his dad in every way and that's just sad :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10