Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 07:54:16 PM »
The owner of the bow I'm currently using has second thoughts about selling it. He says it's because the bow was made for him specifically and thus not a perfect fit for me (a woman a head shorter than him), and that's certainly true. I won't be able to get as much power out of it as he can. However, it's more than good enough for my meager ambitions. They often forget, but I am at that age where there's just not much time left for serious competition. Plus, I have no interest in that anyway. I enjoy archery and I enjoy using this bow.

And let's be honest, it'd be hard to find a perfect fit within my budget. And I don't care about a perfect fit anyway. I'm used to hand-me-downs and things that are held together with ducttape. I'm used to working around that. If something fits just right, it just feels wrong. Like I'm not supposed to have it.

The true reason he's having second thoughts is a sentimental one. This was his first serious bow. He entered competitions with this, made great steps forward. And at the same time he also hates this bow, because he's a competitive perfectionist who wasn't able to achieve his goals. This is the bow that caused so much frustration, he switched to compound. He loves it and doesn't want to part with it, and he hates it and is affraid I'll be consumed by the same frustration he was.

I get that though. Letting go of things can be hard.

I know those feels, especially with musical instruments.  I had this Warwick bass for over a decade.  It was my dream bass when I was 16. I bought it from a pro player for whom it was his first pro-quality instrument, he gigged it, shot music videos with it, all that.  He was reluctant to part with it, but had to because he got a partial endorsement deal with another company.  But when he met me, he was glad that it was going to a good, appreciative home.  And boy howdy, I played that bass to death.  I gigged hard with it, toured with it, recorded with it, and it was easily the best sounding bass I've ever owned. 

Parting with it was one of the hardest decisions I made, but after I retired from Pool of Thorns, I donated it to the music department of the high school I work at.  And now, that bass is inspiring the next generation of musicians the way it inspired me back when I was their age.  So I know I made the right decision. 

Conversely, a few years ago I was dropping off one of my basses (a 5-string that I also donated to my workplace) for a setup.  The guys in the store then asked me to try out one of the 6-strings they got in the shop since they never see extended-range players come in very often.  The 6er was a new Ibanez that played nicely... but then I saw this transparent green 6er on the shelf and asked about it.  The people jokingly said that, "One of our coworkers is trying to sell it, and he'll probably take a hundred bucks for it."  I checked it out... and that bass was amazing!  It was a no-name brand, but I could tell it was handmade by a small luthiery because the quality of the woods, hardware, electronics, were all impeccable.  This is a bass that would have cost over $2,000 when it was first commissioned.  It had been gigged, I could tell.  By mojo alone, I knew I had to have it.  It couldn't sit languishing on the shelf.  I ended up buying it from the guy (who told me he was the 2nd owner) for $420.  Yeah, I pretty much stole the thing. 

It lay languishing in my basement... until this summer.  I've been jamming with a dude in my bicycle club and that bass has inspired my creativity and songwriting.  So that bass is getting its use.  I have that one and a 4-string I initially bought used for about $250 (it was an $800 instrument), had some custom mods done to it (including a sick paintjob), and it's now a one of a kind instrument.  I will never part with those two basses. 

EDIT: And with the family home, that feelz is realz.  It's only now, 2 years after my dad's passing, that my mom and I are earnestly trying to sell the family home and downsize.  This was a house my dad had built, he picked out all the design elements, and it was kinda his dream house.  We tried to hang onto it as long as we could, but it's too much house (and too much mortgage) for just us.  So now, the time is coming to downsize and look for "Neal's house."
The Soundroom / Re: Favorite Albums of 2017
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 07:41:37 PM »
So far...

5) Darkest Hour- "Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora"

4) Efe Tozan- "The Last Birdling soundtrack" (The Last Birdling was a VN I reviewed for the site and gave an Editor's Choice to.)

3) DragonForce- "Reaching Into Infinity"

2) Burial Mound- "Relics of a New Age"

1) Sons of Apollo- "Psychotic Symphony"

With the exception of The Last Birdling, I've spoken at length about them in the Song of the Moment thread.

As I mentioned in the Song of the Moment thread, it looks like I have another album to put on my ever-growing list.  "Qualia" by Analyzed Consequences.  I just discovered this band today.  They're from Bangalore, India (I have family from there) and they're an instrumental prog-metal band.  I love how the music so effortlessly incorporates ragas from Indian classical music.  I always felt that Indian classical music lends itself really well to metal.  "Colour" and "Nerves" are probably my two favorite songs on this EP, though all of them are good. 

https://analyzedconsequences.bandcamp.com/
That i built the sky song was pretty darn cool.  Speaking of instrumental prog metal, I just discovered this band today.  They're called Analyzed Consequences and they're from India (specifically Bangalore.  I have a lot of family from there.)  I might have to put the Qualia EP among my picks for favorite album of 2017, it's so good.  I love how the music so effortlessly incorporates ragas from Indian classical music.  I always felt that Indian classical music lends itself really well to metal.  "Colour" and "Nerves" are probably my two favorite songs on this EP, though all of them are good. 

https://analyzedconsequences.bandcamp.com/
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Today at 07:24:45 PM »
I got close to the end of Metroid: Samus Returns and Tokyo Xanadu on my vacation, but fell a tad short of beating them. Samus Returns sort of gives too many regular missile upgrades, since I never ran out of them, and sometimes too few energy upgrades, but the difficulty is manageable if you track enemy patterns. I've been having a blast with Tokyo Xanadu, but don't care much for the story.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by mecharobot on Today at 05:50:13 PM »
Now that I'm finally the proud(?) owner of FF XIII platinum, I thought that what better way to celebrate it than playing FF XIII-2?

Just played the prologue. Did an epic summon battle, a QTE fight against the final boss and rescued what seems to be a keyblade master. Then I killed some bugs and dogs on a beach.

I seem to feel this weird jankiness in the game. Not sure if it's my imagination, but when I play a SE game that heavily reuses assets, I get this feeling that it just plays different from what it is supposed to outside the battle. The battles seem a bit slow too, but then again I was just  defeating the strongest enemies with max'd characters in XIII so that might have something to do with it.
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 04:54:04 PM »
No idea why @Tomara 's post made me want to give her a reassuring hug.  Maybe going through a bunch of old college emails this week has made me sentimental.

MORE sentimental than normal, that is.
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 04:21:32 PM »
The owner of the bow I'm currently using has second thoughts about selling it. He says it's because the bow was made for him specifically and thus not a perfect fit for me (a woman a head shorter than him), and that's certainly true. I won't be able to get as much power out of it as he can. However, it's more than good enough for my meager ambitions. They often forget, but I am at that age where there's just not much time left for serious competition. Plus, I have no interest in that anyway. I enjoy archery and I enjoy using this bow.

And let's be honest, it'd be hard to find a perfect fit within my budget. And I don't care about a perfect fit anyway. I'm used to hand-me-downs and things that are held together with ducttape. I'm used to working around that. If something fits just right, it just feels wrong. Like I'm not supposed to have it.

The true reason he's having second thoughts is a sentimental one. This was his first serious bow. He entered competitions with this, made great steps forward. And at the same time he also hates this bow, because he's a competitive perfectionist who wasn't able to achieve his goals. This is the bow that caused so much frustration, he switched to compound. He loves it and doesn't want to part with it, and he hates it and is affraid I'll be consumed by the same frustration he was.

I get that though. Letting go of things can be hard.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age
« Last post by Isjaki on Today at 03:54:46 PM »
But it is really hot in Ivalice...........

Lolololololol
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on Today at 03:46:51 PM »
I'm pretty much running on Desperation, so no healer for me (and my favourites, Sakura, Elise and Priscilla, all maxed their HM already anyway).

Poor Takumi is left with 1HP at the end of every run, but there are few units he can't take down:

I'm thinking about replacing Threaten Spd (because really, the only units that he isn't able to double are incredibly fragile), but I don't have any spare Threaten Defs and I'm running low on Fortifies as well.

Takumi's main T_T problems are boss Ike and random overpowered Henries and Robins, but that's where Soren comes in. Those two work surprisingly well together. *cough* If I hadn't had an Ike, they'd probably be S-supporting eachother right now *cough*

Edit: was just looking at the FEH wiki, and man, the German version of the game is mean! Takumi's title there is 'The eternal second'. Weirdly enough, all the other units I checked seem to have titles that are very similar to the English version (which makes sense, Nintendo Europe often translates their games from English). Maybe the Germans have their own Takumi memes the translator felt the need to include?
Single-Player RPGs / Re: FF12 HD - Zodiac Age
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 02:36:06 PM »
No, not even Luso (and certainly no Nomura designs I can easily think of) reaches the level of awful that is Bondage Fran or Regal Princess/Rebel Leader Ashe's Medieval Pink Miniskirt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10