Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« Reply #2055 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
^To be fair, Star Trek, like basically everybody else from the 80s to the mid 00s, were basically running on the style set by that 70s/early 80s era flash-in-the-pan phenomenon known as Star Wars.

Wow. @Aeolus wrote many many words and managed to be right about... basically nothing.  Very unusual for him and also kind of impressive.  Having seen the first two episodes myself finally, I really think that if he had just spouted off several paragraphs of text blind, without having watched anything, he might have done better than he did having just "watched" (and I use that term loosely) the first episode.

As for my own impressions:
Spoiler: show
I was very impressed with both the spectacle of the 2 episodes, as well as the "twist" at the end of them: that both episodes were all backstory and the show proper will begin with episode 3.  Most other shows would start with what we'll get in 3 and slowly, over the course of a season or a few episodes, reveal the events that we got to see in totality in Episodes 1 and 2.  A very neat storytelling idea, and it meant they got to frontload their budget a bit.

Regarding the actual plot itself, I'm not sure yet.  It *is* a bit heavy-handed with the politics, but that doesn't mean it won't build its own identity as it goes.  And the characters (those we've met, at least) are pretty strong.  I already miss Captain Georgiou already, though.

But the Klingons are terrible and overdone and there's no getting around it.  During literally everything involving them I just couldn't stop this one thoughtfrom cropping up over and over: "Man, how cool would this be if these aliens looked like Klingons?"

Hopefully I'll be watching Episode 3 in a matter of hours.

Really? Not even this...

The real problem is that the setup of the first episode is basically the 'prior' to the start of Discovery's voyage, and the main crew sans the current(ly doomed) Captain are going to transfer to the bigger, better and bestest ship of the Starfleet, with the current first officer (and very much the main character of the show) getting promoted to Captain of this proud vessel.

But yeah, I was kinda letting my hyperbole over CBS's 'new lineup' cross wires in regards to my feelings towards ST:D's first episode (or to put it in a more straight forward manner, I was assuming the absolute worst out of the show, especially in this day and age where the US is basically looking at catastrophe from every goddamn direction, especially in regards to the country's most recent nationalistic bent teetering on the edge of full blown imperialism; the fact that this is a 'Star Trek' series, but one that demonstrated almost Mirror Mirror-verse levels of imperialism in regards to 'seeking out new life and new civilizations', kinda just got me to start associating it with the rest of CBS's underwhelming and poorly timed lineup).

Still doesn't change my opinion that it was a really poorly thought out episode (to get Trek-nerd a bit here; just the fact that either ship could call for aid and get more than 2 or 3 ships in such a short span of time is ludicrous in terms of Trek Logistics; the only time forces larger than that ever appeared was due to coordinated campaigns like the defense of Earth from the Borg in TNG or the Founders War in DS9; and even in such cases, one ship could still pull off significant damage to an attack squadron depending on the amount of plot armor/the skill level of the crew/technological advantage the ship was sporting at the time).

And with that being said, unfortunately, while I would've liked to amuse myself by seeing how far down the rabbit hole goes, I'm not going to CBS's website to do it, so unless they're willing to properly broadcast the series, the first episode is all I'm going to bother with.

On a less 'thread devouring' note, Marvel's latest vehicle "Marvel's Inhumans", had probably one of the most ridiculously suggestive haircutting scenes I've seen. That said, I'm kinda 50/50 on the show. While it has actual Marvel characters beyond Coleson, Deathlock, an Asgardian and Ghost Rider, they're B or C tier X-Men spinoffs at best, and moreover there's no Coleson to carry the show while it finds its legs.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: October 04, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
I admit, you nailed that one bit except
Michael Burnham wont be Captain anytime soon, maybe ever.

Still, man, there are other ways of seeing it.  And as long as you buy the DVDs when they come out, I don't think you should feel bad about watching it ahead of time.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:50 AM »
Saw the third episode of Star Trek Discovery. In a way this is the real pilot of the show in that we're getting introduced to who I assume will be the show regulars, and the characters have made a pretty strong impression so far. I think the parts I enjoyed the most are the ones involving the Stamets character, but the musing of what Starfleet is actually about in times of war was cut a bit too short for me. Hoping we'll see some more of that.

I'm guessing Tilly will be a base breaker for any viewers as she'll either be considered annoying or funny. I personally found her the latter.

Not sure what to think of the magic mushrooms just yet. I can think of a few ways the idea can be handled but I was thinking a lot about how Farscape handled its main thread and doubt Discovery can outdo that if they go down the same route.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: October 05, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Yeah the "magic mushrooms" are an interesting retcon idea that we at least know won't be totally successful, but it adds an interesting element to the war story.  The danger it represents was left in little doubt after Episode 3, so now we have a power to properly fear, while simultaneously recognizing its necessity to our heroes.

And I enjoy Tilly so far, especially since a lot of the other characters seem like total jerks.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #2059 on: October 05, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
I'm enjoying Star Trek.  I think it's important to give to shows some time to 'warm up'.

Don't forget for how great TNG was, this piece of shit episode was 4th in line:

Also, BoJack Horseman had another **phenomenal** season, a must-see if you haven't.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: October 05, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
The whole first season of TNG was pretty much not good. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: October 05, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
That is why growing the beard is a trope. :p

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: October 06, 2017, 06:04:20 AM »
That is why growing the beard is a trope. :p

Plus, that was a case of the successor series trying too hard to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor, rather than walking over it.

Also, Orville: The Next Episode (that I watched, don't know if I missed a week yet or not). Still less Galaxy Quest-ish than it wants to be, but still manages to be kinda decent in its own right. One could possibly make the case that its too Treky or TNGey to really stand out. Admittedly, the bits about the leg were pretty funny. Also also, apparently, the show is being directed by the guy who grew the beard (which I didn't notice until I bothered to watch the credits; probably explains the TNG-ish feel of the show).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: October 06, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
I liked The Orville fine, but after Ep 2 deemed it "not worth paying extra for" so I'll be dropping it until it comes out on Netflix/Prime.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
I guess I might check out the Orville given that I'm hearing some good things about it, but I have to admit there's a part of me that really thinks some of the buzz is from obnoxious people talking about how great it is as an indirect way of complaining about Discovery (btw this isn't directed at you Aeolus- you know how the internet can be). Part of that also stems from me really not liking most of Seth MacFarlane's work.

And I enjoy Tilly so far, especially since a lot of the other characters seem like total jerks.

That was somewhat my gut reaction too, but it does make sense some of them are being dicks when for some of them (like Stamets), they essentially had their lives taken away so they could be conscripted, and they have enough reason to believe that Burnham is responsible for the war (she doesn't even take any opportunities to deny it).

Hell, I'd say the same for season 2. I think there's a grand total of like 2 good episodes in the first two seasons (Measure of a Man and Pen Pals are the ones that come to mind for me).

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: October 06, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
I guess I might check out the Orville given that I'm hearing some good things about it, but I have to admit there's a part of me that really thinks some of the buzz is from obnoxious people talking about how great it is as an indirect way of complaining about Discovery (btw this isn't directed at you Aeolus- you know how the internet can be). Part of that also stems from me really not liking most of Seth MacFarlane's work.

That's perfectly fine. I'm in the same boat as far as my lack of love for MacFarlane.

I'm enjoying Orville well enough just because it actually manages to stand up well enough in spite of the Family Guy 'humor' (it helps that they got Frakes directing the show; even outside of ST, he's pretty good at that).

Hell, I'd say the same for season 2. I think there's a grand total of like 2 good episodes in the first two seasons (Measure of a Man and Pen Pals are the ones that come to mind for me).

Yeah, Pulaski's tenure was pretty bad (see also: my comment about TNG trying too hard to emulate TOS). But I'll argue that Manhunt and Peak Performance were also good episodes (even if I don't particularly care for the part of the latter episode where the moral for Data's story was "if you can't beat 'em, grief 'em like the living piece of shit you are").

I liked The Orville fine, but after Ep 2 deemed it "not worth paying extra for" so I'll be dropping it until it comes out on Netflix/Prime.

Dude, don't.

If you like Discovery, there's nothing wrong with that. I've made my position on my opinion of the programs I've watched (and defended the one I've made in regards to Discovery) and that's all I came here to do. Being a sore dick solves nothing.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: October 10, 2017, 08:12:26 AM »
Outside of Frakes, he somehow got a big name like Jon Favreau to direct the first episode, and Trek fandom whipping boy Brannon Braga directed the third. That does show an A for effort at least.

So I watched 3 episodes of The Orville. Didn't like the first two a lot- almost everything I enjoyed about them were the Trek nods, and the show almost never made me laugh despite being billed as a comedy, although the bit with the viewscreen did make me laugh because it's actually a joke at the expense of the setting that would fit right in with Galaxy Quest. What I especially didn't like was how the captain just came off as an unprofessional jackass- it's this sort of "jokes at the expense of character" that makes me really dislike some of MacFarlane's work, moreso than cheap dick jokes and the like (but those two usually overlap anyway). The actual scifi aspect of both episodes were rather pedestrian as well.

The third episode though, was really good. It felt very much like Trek and kept cheap jokes to a minimum. My only possible complaint is that it did feel like the writer was a bit confused between physical variances like intersex and gender identity (though with how it ended they might revisit that). The comedy was a huge improvement too, because while a lot of it didn't make me laugh, it felt a lot more natural and character-based. The Captain also wasn't acting like an idiot. If they can keep making episodes like this one I'll definitely keep watching.

Dunno if you've seen Episode 3 Arvis, but I'd recommend you check it out if you haven't.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: October 10, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
I watched the first episode of the new season of Channel Zero (SyFy's own version of AHS) after never watching the first season despite constantly telling myself I wanted to. It's an absolutely amazing show if you're like me and enjoy horror but don't really appreciate cheap jumpscares or a reliance on gore. Channel Zero is more about upping the creepiness to 11 and messing with your head. I didn't think it all that scary while watching it but afterward realized it managed to terrify me.

Season 2 is about the No-End House, a haunted house that most people seem to believe is a traveling art installation but which has plenty of urban legends about, and of course turns out to be more than people thought.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: October 12, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
Dunno if you've seen Episode 3 Arvis, but I'd recommend you check it out if you haven't.

I definitely will, but still gonna wait until it's on Netflix/Prime.

For now, catching up on Season 3 of Dark Matter and keeping up with Discovery.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: October 16, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Double-post: Discovery continues to both celebrate and throw off its Star Trek heritage.  I'm so conflicted about it.  Undeniably good storytelling, but it sometimes feels like it just really hates every other Star Trek show that came before it.