Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Kevadu on Today at 01:09:13 AM »
Funny, I just recently rewatched Escaflowne.  I had seen it before of course but it's been a long time so I figured I would give it another shot.

The first half of the show is pretty good but honestly it loses momentum after a while and the second half is a complete mess.  There are also a million plot holes I could pick apart.  It is a refreshing change from modern isekai if only because it's very much a shoujo series at heart with some action/adventure elements thrown in.  So it stands out from the modern isekai (which let's be honest are very much male power fantasies) because it's the style and genre is very different.  But is it actually better?  I don't know...certainly just being different has some merit when we're drowning in a see of clones but I was honestly less impressed with the show today than I remember being when I first watched it.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by ironmage on Today at 12:32:42 AM »
There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old, and therefore good."
And one says, "This is new, and therefore better."

My complaint with discord is that most of the conversation happens during the day, while I'm at work.  In the forum format, if I want to reply to an old comment, I can quote it for context, even a few days later.  In discord, that's pretty much impossible.  You step in the stream, but the water has moved on.

But, I like the people in the community (most of you, anyway) more than I care about the details of the communication medium.  I guess I can hang around both places.

I need the forum, to post my quarterly anime season post that I'm not really sure if anyone actually reads =P
Hey, I read it.  ....you read mine, right?  Don't answer that.
I hope the main female in this one is just completely naked (save for just a cape).
Day 1 purchase for me.

...I thought we were already pretty close to that?  I guess neither of you unlocked Velvet's jacketless costume.  :P
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 11:53:04 PM »
And speaking of Isekai, I recently picked up Vision of Escaflowne (TV series) so I have a reason to trip report here again.

As far as the first episode is concerned, its already better than the OVA (in that Hitomi isn't manic depressive (yet...?)). Also, more people are in on the whole 'getting beamed up to an alternate world' which is a bit better than normal Isekais from the long, forgotten era of 1996 (christ, this can't already be 22 years old).
General Discussions / Re: GPD Win 2 first impressions
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 11:48:49 PM »
found
« Last post by Kevadu on Yesterday at 11:43:42 PM »
@Kevadu Where is your long post about the GPD? I can't find it!

Scroll down man ;)

It's not exactly a game so I wasn't sure where to put it and just ended up putting in General Discussions.
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Electricb7 on Yesterday at 11:17:35 PM »
^ thanks Jimmy. That's exactly what I was going to recommend.  It has always confused me why people queue up to pay for material when they can just as easily get it for free.

People don't really know Overdrive is out there for some reason. It's kind of like the best kept secret for book lovers. I guess I can't blame people for not thinking about the library. I didn't think about it until I was living in New York, mainly because the library in the town where I grew up was just sad.

I'm going to try this.
« Last post by Electricb7 on Yesterday at 11:11:24 PM »
It's not splitting the community, it's just growing it.  Discord is better then the forums, it allows more people to join and quicker.  That's the way it is, the reason it seems disorganized to you is because more people are talking there then have in years here.  If there was actually people posting here then you would be saying the same thing about the forums.  And yes many people hate the forums as well because you have to sign up for it and then do the whole email thing, where most gamers already have a discord account and use it for multiple communities.

Discord is new, it's here to stay if you want to be a grandpa and not try something new because "I grew up with this and won't try anything new" then so be it.  I have 1820 posts on this forum, 1800 of them are in the administration side for News, which even we stopped using 2 years ago.  I love talking to the fans of the site but I never posted here.  I post all the time on Discord,  its just way more convenient and fun.

Edit: And no I wasn't making anything up here, we took a survey from the readers this was there response and yes so many people didn't like the forums but suggested something else - http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6769.html

Called it.

The forums started going downhill in terms of activity a long time ago, I get it. But Discord can't replicate or even emulate the forums' functionality, and I don't understand why there weren't other options to pursue than Discord that would have been more capable of recreating the forums' functionality. What I like about the forums is they encourage sustained conversation, are typically less chatty, and allow division into topics so that multiple conversations can be sustained at the same time on various topics, like Single-Player RPGs for example. If I want to talk Fire Emblem on Discord, I'd have to jump into an already active conversation about another game (or something else entirely) rather than have the ability to start a new topic, or join one already in place. Sure, you can jump in and try to change the thread of the conversation on Discord (and possibly have little success in doing so), but I'd much rather have the option to jump from one topic to the next as in the forums. Per the news story you linked (which I did read back in October btw): "That said, it's officially an item on our roadmap to try and integrate the forums better, since even something as simple as a "popular on the forums" widget will bring more attention to the community." What happened to that? And it's clear by the other posts here that there's more than a few "grandpas" who don't like Discord, and prefer the forums, so I can't see why you'd call it anything but splitting the community, especially when a number of longtime, respected members of the RPGFan community, like Neal, say they prefer the forums.

I agree with this. Discord discussions kinda feel like drive-by posts that can be easily derail the current conversation. One minute I'm talking about Final Fantasy 9, the very next second I'm somehow talking about music in Wild Arms.
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 10:54:01 PM »
I need the forum, to post my quarterly anime season post that I'm not really sure if anyone actually reads =P
« Last post by Rucks on Yesterday at 10:11:38 PM »
@Kevadu Where is your long post about the GPD? I can't find it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10