Author Topic: Dragon Quest VI appears

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VI appears
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 12:59:16 AM »
The towns are a huge downgrade in DS 3D though, and they are using the same sprites for generic NPCs in those town. :S

Reusing sprites for generic NPCs in a DQ game!? How Dare They!!! >:(

That said, I take it that this is the first time that you've ever seen a DQ game before? Amirite?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »
Reusing sprites for generic NPCs in a DQ game!? How Dare They!!! >:(

Actually, I believe most of the wholly new entries started over from scratch, or at least built new sprites/models based off of old designs. Not sure how much that applies for the NES titles admittedly, but at the least from 1 to 2 they bothered to draw sprites that faced more directions than forward, and 5 and 6 didn't reuse anything it seemed. It's only been with IV on the PS1 then IV-VI that they recycled graphics like this, possibly 1 and 2 on GBC/SNES, where you can't really blame them due to being on the same cart.

That, and for such a long wait it would've been nice to have new generic NPCs. It's not a huge issue though, I'll admit that now.

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
I believe the SFC/SNES remake of III reused a few of VI's assets too.

The NPCs don't bother me at alll, as long as all plot relevant characters have their own sprites to seperate them it's fine.

Also, some NPCs are tradition in Dragon Quest too, the bunny girl, the masked/horned weapons salesman... so there's no harm in reusing their sprites.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
I believe the SFC/SNES remake of III reused a few of VI's assets too.

The NPCs don't bother me at alll, as long as all plot relevant characters have their own sprites to seperate them it's fine.

Also, some NPCs are tradition in Dragon Quest too, the bunny girl, the masked/horned weapons salesman... so there's no harm in reusing their sprites.

Exactly. It would be like substituting the slime for something else at the beginning of the game. Asking for traditions to be changed in a series that's all about keeping traditions is ridiculous.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Exactly. It would be like substituting the slime for something else at the beginning of the game. Asking for traditions to be changed in a series that's all about keeping traditions is ridiculous.

Looking at screenshots again I'm actually pretty sure the non-remakes DIDN'T reuse graphics graphics from game to game, at least not like the DS games have. Even if, say, IIIr recycled VI graphics the overworld tiles are definitely NOT the same, so I think IV-VI are the odd ones out here, and anyways it's not like asking for new sprites means old staples have to be thrown away. All that's really wanted is a redraw, and it's not like you'd be replacing the horned mask guy here.

Anyways, something I wanted to edit in my first post but forgot to: This will be more than acceptable if in exchange we received more animated sprites for when it matters, just as DQV had far more done there when it was plot relevant in contrast to IV.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:07:25 AM by Eusis »

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 02:46:21 PM »
The trailer has already shown some animation where it counts. The Terry vs. Axe Raptor battle is completely animated. Both the monster and Terry.

The trailer ALSO shows an event from the end of the game (right before end dungeon, specifically), which surprises me, and leads me to believe the game is done or almost done.

jj984jj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
I was looking at the game objectively. To call the redone dungeons and new animations/effects downgrades from the screens and trailer would be a stretch, but the screens show us the towns in DS 3D and the first remake of VI doesn't deserve these exact same NPC sprites as the other DS remakes. Not exactly sure why anyone would assume this was my first time seeing a DQ game because of what I said.

The trailer ALSO shows an event from the end of the game (right before end dungeon, specifically), which surprises me, and leads me to believe the game is done or almost done.

I'm not surprised, it was rumored a few months ago that it might even come out here before DQIX on other forums. I thought they might have pushed it back to build the game from scratch because of DQIX's release and Yuji Horii's comments about this being the first time he's able to revisit VI, but that's clearly not the case. Hopefully there's still a decent amount of new content in the game.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:29:46 PM by jj984jj »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=98421

Looks like I and a lot of other people were wrong.

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1228129_1124.html

New screens. Underwater shown, and the secret character, Amos revealed.

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
Release date revealed, 1/28/2010

Hopefully our wait won't be too long after...

mr. nails

• Total Games Beaten: 415
  • Playing: Dragon Quest V (DS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
i just recently beat dq iv ds for the first time and i have v.  i've had dq vi sfc for quite sum time, but never got around to playing it.  i will be purchasing vi for the ds.  i plan on tackling v soon.  had to get caught up on other must complete games that have stock piled themselves in my back log.
Final Fantasy's Completed
FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFV
FFVI, CC: FFVII, FFVII, FFIII
FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII & FFT
20th Anniversary

WildArms

• With my dying will...!
  • Come on, become a legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »
Man DQ 5 was so good, thanks for these ports its now rated between the first ones on my fav rpg X_X
I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5QBoOkrdU

new trailer from Jump Festa.

Freakin' awesome. This looks so very good.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5QBoOkrdU

new trailer from Jump Festa.

Freakin' awesome. This looks so very good.

I am going to play this game like it's my job.

Or rather, like it's my unpaid-job/hobby thing. :)

Good choice working "Flying Bed" into the trailer. That's one of the best songs from DQVI.

fates

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »
So far all the music used sounds really good for the DS.

I'm really, really anxious to hear what the battle music sounds like. Whether they went with synthesized version that appeared in the SFC game, or the orchestrated one from the symphonic CDs. While I like the symphonic version a lot, I kinda hope they stuck close to the game version since it worked better as a battle theme that way...

Also, they reveal the "secret" character and the secret final boss in that trailer too. Even though it's a remake, I find it interesting they'd reveal those things in a trailer.