Author Topic: I need some help to get initiated, lol.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
Re: I need some help to get initiated, lol.
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
That's another thing that irks me about the Lunar remakes.

They keep getting easier. The originals are still the hardest by a mile.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:59 AM »
Baldur's Gate definitely had some inconsistent difficulty problems.  I made it through but not without problems (especially near the end...), and I'm the type of D&D player that can basically quote the rules from memory.  A lot of the time I would just expect to die the first time in a battle but try to hang on long enough to learn all the cheap tricks the designers were throwing at you (and there were a shit-ton of cheap tricks) so that I would be ready to avoid them the second time around.

Just about every issue I had with Baldur's Gate (the difficulty, slow pacing, lack of direction, etc) was fixed in the sequel, though.  And Throne of Bhaal was a pretty awesome conclusion to the series.  I can't recall much in Throne of Bhaal that has to do with Bioware's current design choices, though.

But since you already picked up Baldur's Gate at least play it long enough so that you learn to love Minsc.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
Well, it IS going by what I read of the game, and when I say "modern" I mean "from Knights of the Old Republic onwards", but I also know it's more linear and
Code: [Select]
you can keep around all your allies in a pocket dimension rather than having to pick and choose like in the original BG1 and I presume BG2.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 02:42:04 AM »
Well, it's been a while since I played it but from what I recall:

The whole pocket dimension was more for recuperating in the middle of tough dungeons, and it also served various plot purposes.  But I don't remember anything about being able to keep allies there or change your party.  Well, in all the games most party members just stand around where you leave them when they are removed from the party.  So I suppose the pocket dimension could serve as a central hub for that purpose, but it isn't really a new function.  It's just a convenient location.  None of the games encourage that kind of thing, though, since members not in your party don't gain experience or anything.
As for being more linear, I guess you could say that but it was just an expanion pack not a full game.  And they decided that rather than making a bunch of crappy sidequests they would create one of the biggest, most bad-ass dungeons seen in any modern RPG that's really a single massive sidequest.

Sise-Neg

• Conquerer of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:26 AM »
Well, it's been a while since I played it but from what I recall:

The whole pocket dimension was more for recuperating in the middle of tough dungeons, and it also served various plot purposes.  But I don't remember anything about being able to keep allies there or change your party.  Well, in all the games most party members just stand around where you leave them when they are removed from the party.  So I suppose the pocket dimension could serve as a central hub for that purpose, but it isn't really a new function.  It's just a convenient location.  None of the games encourage that kind of thing, though, since members not in your party don't gain experience or anything.
As for being more linear, I guess you could say that but it was just an expanion pack not a full game.  And they decided that rather than making a bunch of crappy sidequests they would create one of the biggest, most bad-ass dungeons seen in any modern RPG that's really a single massive sidequest.

I think it's hard to find a balance between linearity and freedom of exploration. On the one hand you get people complaining about linearity in games like FFX but then they could go and do the complete opposite like FFX-2 and make the game so non-linear that it can get confusing figuring out what you're supposed to do. I prefer the former over the latter just because the story is usually more coherent in linear games.
Conqueror of the Cosmos

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »
I've played linear games where I can't figure out to do. It's not an issue of linearity v non-linearity it's an issue of are the writers stupid fuckfences that don't tell you anything?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`