Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 09:16:32 PM »
The completely half-assed turn order meters in the Xenosaga trilogy. Seriously, what was the (il)logic of that design?
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Greganox on Yesterday at 08:39:20 PM »
Edit: And on the subject of SRPG binges, https://gematsu.com/2018/08/strategy-rpg-vestaria-saga-for-pc-coming-west-in-2019

The race is on to see whether this or Tree House comes out first.

Having posted this though,

https://i.imgur.com/AjaCXVu.jpg

...this might not be the best news. :V
Glad this is coming to Steam. A friend of mine is a big Fire Emblem fan also and I'm sure he'd love to play this too on Steam.

I saw an image of that endgame on the FE group I'm in and damn it does look super elaborate. Can you employ warpskip or similar staff strategies in this game like in some FE titles?
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 04:16:45 PM »
Say what you will about the rest of Generations of Doom, but that opening theme was actually pretty good, if in desperate need of better synth sampling.

The opening theme, the Dark Force theme, the "airship" theme, and Council of Skyhaven were the only four good pieces of music in that game.  But, yeah, they sounded like nails on a chalkboard through the Genny's soundchip.  Even majestic Phantasy Star IV's soundtrack had those really tinny, peaky, dissonant, harsh-sounding high frequencies.  It was like trying to play a symphony through a cheaply made, worn speaker. 

And I don't know if this was mentioned at all in this thread but it's something worth discussing.  It was most prominent in the game Lost Odyssey.  The "Power Point" cutscenes were fantastically written since they were penned by an author.  On the other hand, the rest of the game was written by Sakaguchi, who's more of a scenario designer than a writer, and it just felt amateurish in comparison.  That contrast in writing skill was so prominent in that game, ya know?

And here's another pet peeve where I don't know if it was brought up before and I'm too lazy to look.  I groan whenever a dungeon makes me hoof it all the way back to the entrance after completing it.  I'm already weak and depleted from the boss battle, give me a break. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 04:14:38 PM »
Another one. 

I loved in FF9 when the party's in Lindblum, Zidane goes into an arms shop and says something to the effect of, "what a cheesy suit of armor.  Who would buy this junk?"  Then later on in a "private action" (when the party splits up and you can see what each person is up to), Steiner walks into that same shop and comments on what fine suits of armor that shop has. 
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 03:59:32 PM »
I literally just posted this over in the Game Journal thread, but oh well:

"Oh, you need a donation for the flea market?  Sure, I've got just the thing: my ass."

A bit crude, but nonetheless I laughed a long time at this one.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Yesterday at 03:57:45 PM »
Cold Steel 2
"Oh, you need a donation for the flea market?  Sure, I've got just the thing: my ass."
Spoiler: show
Anyway, for some reason this game is still going.  And I'm not at all upset about that.  Like, not even a little.  I defeated the Big Red Mecha in a freaking amazing final boss sequence that had everything.  All members of Class VII participate?  Check.  Real danger of losing?  Check.  Intense mecha battle to finish?  Check and check.  Loved it.  Despite the challenge, only Laura came close to death, but she had just barely enough HP to survive the boss' "Thousand Arms" move or whatever it was called.  Not being able to use Gaius Win Button for the first form had me worried, but the B-Team actually acquitted themselves incredibly well.  Rean couldn't quite Delay him as often as I hoped, but Machias shielding everyone and Fie and Laura beating on him eventually made him succumb.  After that, Gaius took out 3/4 of the second form's HP in one move and he went down like a chump.  The battle with Rean and Crow fighting together against him was pretty intense.  I was like "Where is all my free healing???"  Still, the fight is balanced pretty well and a lot of fun.  That lack of healing definitely gives it an edge appropriate to a gameplay climax.

Anyways, now I'm in the Reverie Corridor.  Wow.  This game is the gift that keeps on giving.  FINALLY being able to take every character into a dungeon and go exploring makes me very happy.  I'm already through 2 cryptids, with a main party of Alisa, Towa, Elise, Alfin, Sharon, Sara and Rean, with Gaius and Jusis coming in for the cryptid battles.  Really enjoying blasting enemies with Towa and Alfin.  Towa has mastered Aries MQ, which seems pretty OP in a typically awesome Cold Steel fashion, so she's just spamming Arts left and right.  And Alfin is using level 4 Mistral.  Between the two of them, they have every color covered and it's been pretty fun.
Elise is using a SPD build and is basically just Rean Lite with spamming Delay.  She's not half as good, though, since she doesn't do as much damage nor can she regain her CP nearly as fast as he does.  She is absurdly fast, though, with her SPD coming in around 150, while Rean's is about 120.
Alisa is there to use Heavenly Gift and revive everyone if they actually die (which never happens).
Sharon and Sara are both Evasion tanks that debilitate enemies with status and stat drops.  Pretty darn effectively, I might add.  The last time a group of supermonsters from a chest got a turn, one attacked my group with a line attacked, missed both Sharon and Sara, hit Towa, then promptly got blasted by Towa right after, who was right back to full health thanks to Aries.  Ridiculous.

So many fun builds in this game.
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 12:10:12 PM »
PS3's Escape Pipe trick. A rather unorthodox and convoluted bug fix from the olden days, but amusing nevertheless.

Also Ramza fucking murdering the hell outta Mustido.

Also also, several bits across Kattlox Island. Including popping up in a not so abandoned warehouse to A) crash a pizza party and B) circle strafe an 8 story tall giant robot that proceeds to level this section of town (finally).
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 12:10:00 PM »
The Sega Genesis never really had good audio quality to begin with. And yeah, having to cheat or use a guide is not an indicator of good design in an RPG.
« Last post by Aeolus on Yesterday at 11:59:28 AM »
Say what you will about the rest of Generations of Doom, but that opening theme was actually pretty good, if in desperate need of better synth sampling.
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 11:29:34 AM »
Gig in Soul Nomad is one of those rare instances where I found his English voice acting vastly superior to the Japanese.  Easily Yuri Lowenthal's best performance ever.  The scenes early on in the game where Gig mocks Danette for being stupid were hilarious because his pungent and acidic snark reminded me of some former RPGFanners who would just straight up skewer you if they thought you were being an idiot.

EDIT: Oh, how could I forget to mention some of my favorite comedy moments from Chrono Trigger.  I loved the scenes when Chrono would bring his companions home to meet his mom.  His mom's exchanges with Ayla and Frog were the absolute best.  I also laugh hysterically every time Ayla "snu-snus" Chrono on the side of the cliff when they first enter the prehistoric era.  Ayla's party in the DS version was a riot.  Soup became skull-smash (clearly an alcoholic beverage, by Robo's calculations), Lucca denying getting all white-girl-wasted, and Ayla being massively hung over the next day. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10