Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Recommend Dincrest some music
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »
Okay, despite the fact that I have 3000+ songs on my iPod, I feel like I'm listening to the same things over and over and I need some fresh new music to awaken my palate.  So, since folks here at RPGFan have good taste in music and can steer me to what I'm looking for, I come here.  

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Something heavy, but with melody as well.  I want to be able to headbang to it and hum/sing along to it when I'm doing stuff.  I've heard too many songs that, while technically impressive, were just "riff salad" and unmemorable.  I want something heavy and with cohesive songwriting.  

-Some complexity to the music.  I don't want complete technical wankery "riff salad," but I don't want simple one-note breakdowns either.  

-A measure of speed/uptempo.  I don't want droning, slow, monotonous sludge metal songs that put me to sleep after 1/3 of their 9 minute durations.  I get bored with hardcore bands that are all breakdowns and no speed.  I don't necessarily need DragonForce level speed, but I definitely want something at a good "workout" pace that makes me want to jump around, mosh, whatever.  If the artist has occasional slower songs, that's fine (I do love DragonForce's ballads), but I always tend to favor faster songs.    

-Dynamic vocals.  I want a vocalist who doesn't just monotone bark through the whole album.  I want to hear a variety of growls and screams, maybe even some skilled clean singing as well.  I've heard some pretty sick music that was ruined by a monotonous vocalist.

-Bass that isn't buried in the mix.  I'm a bass player, so of course I want to be able to hear the bass without having to strain to hear it or play it uncomfortably loud.  Bassist doesn't have to do Primus-level acrobatics, but I want to hear and feel a good bassline since that's the pulse of the music.  

-Lyrics that don't insult my intelligence.  I'm not asking for super complicated verbiage that will have me scrambling for the dictionary every 12 seconds, but I certainly want something more enlightening than "sex 'n beer" and repeating the F-word all the time.  

-An artist who isn't super popular/well known.  I generally don't listen to bands/artists who are big, because they're already big, have plenty of fans, and make enough money.  I always want to support the smaller, underground bands who are down in the trenches because they need the support and because they're in the trenches, their music feels the most genuine.  

I know some of these criteria may seem both fuzzy and picky, but it's because I know what I want yet kinda don't.  So feel free to interpret them as you wish so I can have a variety of stuff to check out.  The more I have to listen to, the more opportunity I have to find my new favorite of the moment, ya know?  
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend Dincrest some music
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
I don't listen to metal (which seems to be what you want here), though I used to be into some hardcore bands when I was younger.  The one that sticks out the most in my memory is "Thrice". They made 2 solid albums in the early aughts (The Illusion of Safety and The Artist in the Ambulance) before the lead singer found jesus and their sound changed dramatically (I still liked them a lot all the way to the end, but they didn't even sound like the same band when they broke up a few years ago.)

A taste https://youtu.be/0cfEX8skUfc and https://youtu.be/t16whDB0h8A

And I know I beat this drum into the ground every time music is brought up, but you should really check out Brand New's newest album "Daisy" they are constantly evolving (and also my favorite band) and their most recent offering sounds the most similar to what your looking for. 
https://youtu.be/WLKM3AZJ6ag and my favorite song on the album https://youtu.be/RgyyDNZwEBg

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I at least hope it'll get the discussion moving forward.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
I love the album "Artist in the Ambulance."  So good.  Every song on that album is a winner.  It and Weezer's blue album are two that I have to listen to in their entirety every time- I can't just cherry pick tracks from either of them.  And that second song you posted "Motion isn't Meaning" is damn good.  What album is it on?  

And I'll have to check out that new Brand New.  I remember when the song "Sic Transit Gloria" came out, they were lumped in with that wave of "me too" bands that were mainstream back then (like Simple Plan, All American Rejects, Story of the Year) but "Sic Transit Gloria" stood out.  That song was catchy yet complex and had much better lyrics than anything else on the radio.  EDIT: I like that "In a Jar" song.  I like how the verses sound like a speedier Alice in Chains but then the chorus is just a complete meltdown. 

As for genres, I left that blank because something really cool could come up that isn't metal or punk.  Like how that album "The Future of War" by Atari Teenage Riot has no guitars on it, but it's shrapnel to the face.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:55:17 PM by Dincrest »

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 01:24:43 AM »
Any other time I could name ten different bands for you to try, but lately I've had nothing but doom and gothic tinged metal on my brain.  I don't think that would scratch this particular itch.

Maybe look into some modern Enslaved?  I know they've been around for a billion years so they're as big as niche metal bands ever get, but they fit most of your other criteria.

• Two singers:  their original black metal shrieker and a guy that sounds a lot like David Gilmour.  The contrast is like night and day.
  • Fast as fuck overall, but...
  • Their songwriting is complex, with tempo changes all over the places.
  • They're technically impeccable; they manage to push the envelope without devolving into prog wankery.

Try something like this first.  If nothing else, it'll narrow the field a bit. :P

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:55:37 AM »
Hmmm ....give these guy a try Raintime

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »
Neal, that song is a B side from the Artist in the Ambulence

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
Enslaved "One Thousand Years of Rain" -man, that song is EPIC!  I also really like that some of the verses are in Norwegian.  The song was long, but engaging throughout its course with several "money riffs" that I got to hear again but weren't overused.  Excellent choice, DR.  Thanks. 

Raintime "Flies and Lies" - This was a really cool song, too.  Heavy, melodic, and the instruments were all audible.  Though I think the production was a little to clean and the guitarists sounded too thin and not beefy enough.  I feel like this band would sound way better live than in recordings. 

Jawsh- That song was a B-side?  Man, it should've been an A-side.  That song was cool. 

I'm enjoying all the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming. 

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
That Into Eternity song was great.  I enjoyed it a lot more than the Raintime song.  Beefy sounding, good songwriting, solid melodies... Too bad the clip ended really abruptly as I was getting into its home stretch.

EDIT: I checked out some later Into Eternity with the female singer and as much as I can dig female-fronted metal (hell, I used to play in Pool of Thorns), she's not as good as the dude she replaced.

Man, everything you guys suggested has appealed to me in some way or another.  I'm feasting here!  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:28:30 AM by Dincrest »

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:08:24 PM »
Most of the stuff I'll be throwing up will be from 2007 or earlier. Around that time is when I actively stopped hunting these bands down. So some of them may have  blew up (as much as niche metal does anyway)  or died.
Wintersun - Battle Against Time

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
That's fine Chronix.  Said music may not be "new" per se, but there's a good chance it'll be new to me.  

Anyway, I listened to that Wintersun song.  It's a good song, but I just wasn't feeling it.  I can't necessarily explain why.  I've had that conundrum with several games and soundtracks I've reviewed- they were good material and there was nothing to criticize about them, but I just couldn't "mojo" with it.  It's that dating analogy I use all the freaking time- a girl who's totally your type on paper, but on an actual date there's no chemistry spark.  Then you may encounter a girl who's not really your type at all on paper, but on an actual date, you're really into her.  

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
Some things just do not click. Here is the next one,Disillusion - And The Mirror Cracked
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:27:24 PM by Chronix112 »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 06:53:18 AM »
...and that's another one that's technically sound but didn't click with me. 

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/vc3JWo2iiGc

SEIZURES!!

p.s. I actually love this band, but this might be one of the worst things ever filmed.

ENJOY!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
I love chiptune stuff and video game music, but that song annoyed me after two minutes.  I did like that girl's "Fuck You You Fuckin' Fuck" T-shirt, though.