Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I mean, it's not like Phantasy Star even remotely resembles the turn-based JRPGs it began as, so it's not like Shining Force is the only franchise that got completely altered for the sake of financial gain.
Uh....I think Sega's had more than one really good RPG per generation. I really don't get what you're on about, Rook. The Shining franchise has been out of the hands of its original developers for a long time now, and Sega just doesn't know what to do with it anymore. Apparently generic RPGs with dating sim elements sold well enough for them to make 3 games with, and if it continues to sell within a profitable margin, we may see more of it...really isn't rocket science...obviously there could be talented people within Sega that could have better ideas as to where the franchise could go, but don't get supported for one reason or another. We've already seen other half-baked ideas or pitches for new IPs get used as half-backed spin-offs or sequels in Sega's other franchises, and as far as I'm aware, this is nothing new when you work in even a moderate-sized media companies...
The Soundroom / Re: Random VGM
« Last post by Rook on Today at 07:07:44 PM »
more Night in the Woods

Longest Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJv-iFkzV4M

As someone who loves Utada and thinks that Simple and Clean/Hikari are the 1a and 1b of greatest VG theme songs (w/ Passion #2), I thought the song was uh just OK. Which isn't a bad thing, just not my favorite songs that she's done. I'm glad she's back though. 
General Games / Re: E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?
« Last post by Rook on Today at 06:58:08 PM »
Worst E3 ever?

You can release trailers watched by millions for free on the youtubes or you could go to E3 spend a lot of cash and find out your game reveal is drowned out by another game's hype machine. So its kinda pointless and/or a relic of the pre-internet VG news magazine era? 
General Games / Re: Mega Man X Collections 1 & 2
« Last post by Rook on Today at 06:51:35 PM »
Where the heck is my Zero promo artwork?

Shining Resonance looked like it had mega potential, but wasn't there... something really really wrong with it?  Can't remember...

Almost every Sega JRPG is somewhere between mindnumbingly mediocre to absolute gutter trash. However pretty much once a console generation Sega lays down a fantastic, original, OMG I love u Sega please make more JRPGs, JRPG. Its frusturating because it seems like the talent has always been there for Sega to be the best RPG developer/publisher on the planet, but they aren't. 
Well, now that I finished right at 24 hours, I want to give two final thoughts.

Firstly, I want to share my experiences in a late-game encounter. During this encounter you play as two characters fending off multiple waves of enemies. Since back-up party members don't receive exp, they were levels 35 and 40, up against enemies leveled 55-62. Not only is this an awful practice in ANY game, it was almost enough to make me quit. I decided to give it one more go after turning the difficulty down to easy, and after burning through every single healing item in my inventory, found myself facing against the level 61 armour that served as the final battle.

This is where things got interesting, because it actually wasn't a bad fight. All of his moves were telegraphed, giving enough time for my slow character to get out of the way (I had the other party member set to hold back and heal). I discovered that blocking just before a hit nullifies damage, so when I didn't have enough time to dodge around his shield side, I could still survive. The fight gradually developed a rhythm, and while simplistic, it was the most engaging battle in the entire game. The only thing ruining it was its insane amount of health, my abysmal damage output, and the frustration surrounding the entire situation.

This is Shining Resonance in a nut-shell: there is something here, but it's so buried beneath mediocrity that even 24 hours felt over-long.

Which brings me to my second thought: I have a hard time imagining a sequel. I don't mean the realistic viability one: rather, I just enjoy thinking about sequels as a thought exercise on finishing games. It makes me think about what aspects I felt were important/not-important, done well/needs improvement/removed entirely, and so on. For instance, Catherine felt like a good game that fell just shy of a must-play, and I'd love to see just one sequel to really flesh out those ideas. Radiant Historia, by contrast, felt like it executed its ideas perfectly the first time around, and I don't think it needs a sequel.

Shining Resonance though? I'm not saying that nothing good could come of it -- I'm not that pessimistic -- but it feels like the game doesn't have enough of a core identity to build off of. Even with more fights like the aforementioned armour, combat still needs a lot of work if it's going to rival Tales (even if it's doing its own thing). Characters and plot feel about on-par with the likes of Atelier, but unlike Atelier it doesn't have the unique alchemy system. It does have AN alchemy system which, along with tunnings and aspects, make-up the most unique traits... but even expanded I can't see them carrying an entire game.

Ultimately those two thoughts say more about my overall feelings than the myriad plus' and minus' I could bring up. I want to defend Shining Resonance because I don't get the cynical vibes that I feel from a lot of modern anime games, but at the end of the day it's mediocrity in a market where there's just too many quality alternatives. I'm glad that SEGA listened to the fans who have wanted a return of the Shining series in the west, but I can't help but feel it would have been better received in 2015, when Zestiria shoved Tales to the edge of the cliff Xillia and Xillia 2 were heading towards.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Rook on July 20, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
Holmes of Kyoto (12-minute drop):  Antique appraisal has never been so boring.

On a lark I googled all of the Current Season Stuff you listed and this actually looks like something I could maybe watch.  I think I enjoy boring anime, though?

You might like The Great Passage (amazon) its about a guy who writes dictionaries.
The Soundroom / Re: Basscapella: New YouTube channel covering VGM on bass
« Last post by Rucks on July 20, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Gotta agree with Ironmage on this one. It literally says in the forum rules that you can get banned if your first posts are just begging for money or YouTube subscriptions.  And it's not like that is exclusive to RPGFan.  It's like that across a significant portion of internet forums. Your music is nifty, but your form is piss poor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10