Author Topic: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon (11/18/2016)
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Yeah I guess long-time players do take for granted a lot of crazy feature creep the series has. They should really go back and fix how some of it works instead of piling on more pointless features each gen. Overall I feel like Z-Moves were kind of a pointless addition because they're mostly just big damage nukes and there's only like 3 or 4 status moves that change into something interesting.
Yeah they really need to fix some of the evolution methods. Like Glaceon using an ice stone now that they exist. Probably not going to happen, they don't seem to like removing evolution methods unless the old method can no longer be supported (like Feebas's original evolution method).

I'll agree that Z-Moves were a waste, but every gen has to have a gimmick I guess? Hopefully if we get the DPPt remakes this gen, the legendaries won't be stuck with worthless Z moves as their remake power boost in the Mega-verse.

I'm also trying to figure out why my Decidueye can't learn fly despite being an owl.  I know flightless birds exist, but as far as I know, all owls can fly.
It is probably supposed to be a burrowing owl from Hawaii(Pueo). They do fly, but I guess the association with the ground cause GameFreak to not consider them great fliers?

And, as mentioned in my review, Contests need to return.  And I'm talking the lavish pomp of ORAS Contests.
That is the Gen 3 gimmick. It isn't returning until the next time we return to Hoenn....so 4-7 gens to go?

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »
Agreed. Also, compared to using a good held item, I find them generally not all that helpful.

Well, they do provide the eye candy factor!

But yeah, I'm really disappointed how uncreative they were with Z-moves. Even the starter ones don't retain their unique properties when you use the Z versions (Operetta doesn't stay a sound move for example). Maybe they can come back and do something more interesting with them, but I think I'd prefer them add more Mega Evolutions personally, I find those are fun to play around with even if it ends up being a dud like Audino.

I get the need for Fairy typing to balance out Dragon, but it was a poorly thought-out concept in X/Y and remains poorly thought out.  I also feel that Dark typing has gotten overly nerfed.  Pokemon doesn't need any more new typings, but the current ones need to be rebalanced.

Ultimately a Pokemon's stats and moveset is usually a lot more key to their usefulness. Touch the weaknesses and strengths and the tier lists shift around a bit, and you can't really please everyone. I do agree some types need some help though, especially Ice defensively (but they actually referenced this in-game in XY which implies Ice being frail is totally intentional).

In terms of game balance, Fairy's kinda broken, yeah. They put the two most rare attacking types as their weaknesses (Poison and Steel), probably hoping it would make those types more popular because they are mainly defensive. It was actually somewhat successful, but I think they need to make another type weak to Poison as an indirect nerf to Fairy (I nominate Water personally). Fairy also shouldn't be resisting Bug because Bug was already terrible. The rest of it seems fine though IMO.

I think Dark types are doing okay personally. Dark type is actually one of the most useful types in the metagame, and a big reason is Knock Off, which not only a very powerful utility move but basically functions as a 100 BP attack with 100 accuracy. This gen also saw them gain an immunity to Prankster.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:42 AM »
I agree that Bug typing needs a boost somewhere. 

I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to see Normal typing be true neutral.  Strong agains nothing but weak against nothing.  Right now, they're strong against nothing but weak to fighting. 

And for more wishful thinking, I'd like to see a female professor again.  Preferably an ethnic one.  Juniper (being a woman) and Kukui (being ethnic) breaking the white male mold were cool, but moar plz.

EDIT: What is up with legendaries being weaksauce lately?  I took Solgaleo and some lowbies out to build levels and evolve them (the lowbies) to fill out the pokedex.  Yet the almighty Solgaleo was nearly destroyed by a wild Pelipper in two hits.  Really?!  Eh, but this is a JRPG after all, and every time you battle someone who eventually joins your party, they're nerfed once they join you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:15:25 AM by Dincrest »
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to see Normal typing be true neutral.  Strong agains nothing but weak against nothing.  Right now, they're strong against nothing but weak to fighting.

Correct me if wrong, but normal moves are generally pretty bad overall so their bonus to normal move damage is pretty weak; more-so considering you're never getting more as you said for opponent weaknesses.
Last Pokemon I played, there was only 1 move that was 'top' tier and it's the one that uses friendship/love for damage.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
Jeez/  My Solgaleo came with over 200 HP.  What Pelipper are you fighting that can do over 100 damage per hit??
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
A level 59 one in the tall grass near the Battle Tree.

Wonder Trade goofiness aside: I caught a Comfey, nicknamed it Get Lei'd and Wonder Traded it for giggles. I'll bet the other person groaned at Artemis for that.  I have a female Grimer I'm levelling into a Muk that I nicknamed Dirty Girl; I plan to Wonder Trade it.  The trade that amuses me most is an Alola Meowth I got named Cat Call'n. 

My favorite, though, was GT trading my Feebas holding a Prism Scale for another Feebas with a Prism Scale and both of us getting Milotics.  I got that Feebas in a Wonder Trade, which was cool.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »
Don't forget, if you're using Solgaleo with no EVs, then he's not going to be good yet. If he's maxed, then I'm surprised by the Pelipper account - unless it used a x4 super effective move.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
Just your garden variety level 55 Solgaleo (well, a few levels higher now.).

Anyway, I'm still just levelling/evolving a few lowbies at a time.  Dirty Girl (my Grimer) evolved into a Muk at Battle Buffet, as well as Rousey (my Stufful, now a Bewear.). Yes, my Stufful is a girl and since she's Normal/Fighting, I named her after Rhonda Rousey.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »
Well, Pelippers get Drizzle now so I'm guessing you got hit by a boosted Hydro Pump or something? SpD is Solgaleo's worst stat too.

Also I wish I could come up with goofy/pun nicknames as easy as it seems for you Din.

Right now I'm mostly just letting my Pokemon level themselves up in Poke Pelago while I wait for Pokemon Bank to come. That and I have a big exam coming. =P

My cave explorers still haven't brought me back a single Gold Bottlecap. Maybe I should just go for shards instead but I'm having a serious case of Gambler's Fallacy with this thing.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
Yep, Drizzle-boosted Hydro Pumps were what put the almighty legendary Solgaleo on the ropes. 

Naming stuff is not always easy, though.  I still have yet to name my awesome road bike I got in 2015.  I feel like nicknaming my 'mon may be the most fun and frustrating thing in my future Nuzlocke.  I still think the champion of naming things is Billy from Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. 

I have a feeling PokePelago will be the equivalent of Pokemon Heaven when my 'mon die in battle. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:56 AM »
I caught a Comfey, nicknamed it Get Lei'd and Wonder Traded it

Clever.  Meanwhile, I can't name my Bonsly "Chris Pine".
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
Hoo boy... while my Solgaleo (Nebby) was out babysitting some lowbies (and middies) to level up, we encountered a wild Miltank.  This Miltank's RolloutGyro Ball was destructive.  It took out my Sneasel (named (Viru)Lina, level 48ish), my Ash-Greninja (also with levels in the upper 40s), and damn near took out my Solgaleo.  My only remaining 'mon were lowbies.  I managed to catch it, but it took 3 balls to do so.  Because this Miltank was beast, I was compelled to name it Whitney. 

The wild pokemon I dread most are Granbulls.  Play Rough is a stupidly OP move and between that and Roar, battles with Granbulls are no fun.  Play Rough is also one of a litany of reasons why I'm not much of a Mimikyu lover. 

I found some new trainer battles, like the Hidden Maidens (on Poni Islant) who were not only funny, but they hooked me up with some sweet prizes. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:13:09 PM by Dincrest »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
Leveling up more lowbies... and I'm LOVING this level 16 Milotic I started playing with.  This thing is is taking down 'mon 8-10 levels higher than it.  I can clearly say that I vastly prefer it over Gyarados.  I get why Gyarados is good, but for my playing style I'm on Team Milotic because I much prefer its movepool.  Put simply, Gyarados is a down 'n dirty brawler and Milotic is a finessed special attacker, and I prefer the latter.   

I never thought for a second I would even get one, but thanks to getting a Feebas in a Wonder Trade and finding a Prism Scale on Exeggutor Island, I was able to GTS trade for another Feebas w/ Prism Scale and this random person and I both got Milotics. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:11:00 AM by Dincrest »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Pokebank update is up. I was kind of right in that it includes entries for all previous entries, but it unlocks all of them when you get the entry. However it does keep track of stats across all games.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Apparently if you were one of those people who bought the VC GB games, every single Pokemon you transfer over will have its Hidden Ability (so no No Guard Fissure Machamp shenanigans unfortunately). It will also have a cute little GB symbol like how Gen 6 Pokemon have the Pentagon and Gen 7 has the Clover.