Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Soundroom / Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Basscappella
« Last post by ghaladen on Today at 07:17:38 PM »
Here's the one I released this week, the Lost Woods theme from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Full version is here, and naked (no synth) version is here. Enjoy, let me know what you think and please subscribe.

The Soundroom / Shining Force III - Balsamo Village - Basscappella
« Last post by ghaladen on Today at 07:10:06 PM »
First video I did, the Balsamo Village theme from Shining Force III. Full version is here, and naked (no synth) version is here. Enjoy, let me know what you think and please subscribe.

The Soundroom / Basscapella: New YouTube channel covering VGM on bass
« Last post by ghaladen on Today at 07:03:46 PM »
Title says it all, guys. I play bass, and (sometimes) use the help of a synth to cover video game tunes. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/ghaladen, and please subscribe if you like what you see. Full tunes are usually up on Fridays, and the corresponding Naked versions (without the synth, just straight bass tone) on Sundays. Thanks, and enjoy.

Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 05:16:15 PM »
..but...but...I highlighted the title in red.  It's not good for my ego if you all do the exact opposite of my recommendation. :-(

ROFL

Sorry man, didn't think anyone would even notice my post.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Octopath Traveler
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 04:29:56 PM »
I am waiting for it to be released on either the PS4 or PC.  I won't be buying a Switch just for this game no matter how appealing it is.

It's a Nintendo-published game so you'll be waiting a long time
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Octopath Traveler
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 04:16:28 PM »
Another day, another chapter.

Cleared Ophilia's Chapter 2 twice (once to advance the story and again to see all the party skits; although I still need to see Alfin's take).

Things of note:

Found an old guy hopelessly lost in the river valley. Guided him back to his grandson, then immediately dragged him off to a side dungeon followed by the Chapter 2 River Town before letting him loose. I'm sure he'll find his way home just fine.

Beat up a giant moth.

Gave my thief a chemistry set.

Replaced the old man with an Archbishop. Who I then had to boot out of my party in favor of a snot nosed orphan, who ran off to the woods to feed himself and his friend to the wolves. Which led me back to the Archbishop to go into the woods with me (sadly I was not able to visually confirm if he shits in the woods or not).

For the second run, I bought a spooky Forbidden Staff for Ophilia. She was doing about 2k in damage to all enemies under a full boost before Break status. Peacock Dance and/or Break increased it to 3k.

Random dancing resulted in a fuckoff Golem punching a dire wolf in the face for 9999 damage.

Skits in order of appearance for Ophilia Chapter 2:

Cyrus > Primrose > Tressa > Alfin > H'aanit > Therion > Olberic

If you don't want to beat the boss a second time, drag Therion and Olberic with you for your progress run.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Jimmy on Today at 12:39:24 PM »
I finished Bravely Second over the weekend. Here are my final thoughts: The story is good, and less repetitive than the first game's, but at the same time I'm not sure it was as strong as Bravely Default's. I did like how they incorporated the player more this time. The first game was pretty subtle about it, but this one was very overt. The battle system is still just as fun as the first game, but the job system has been downgraded somewhat. It's still fun, and you can develop some pretty powerful characters, but not as good as the first game. The change from 14 job levels to 11 also nerfed some of the old jobs slightly, which was disappointing. In the first game I had a dual-wielding, Dark Knight Tiz, who, with sword magic, could deal around 15,000 damage with a regular attack. I wasn't quite able to do that this time around, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. The new jobs were mostly disappointing, or simply rehashes of older jobs. I liked Guardian and Exorcist. Hawkeye was okay. Yokai was really just a higher-powered Black Mage because of the -ja spells, and Kaiser, while kind of cool, was very much a double-edged sword.

All in all, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Final jobs:

Yew was Yokai with Time Magic. I'm glad I went that route because Reraise was essential for the last boss fight.

Edea was a Valkyrie with Shamanism. This turned out okay, but the last boss had a dispel skill that kind of made it less useful. Jump is still great and Edea went mostly untouched damage-wise because of it. If I did it again I would probably swap Shamanism for Martial Arts to amp up her attack power somewhat.

Magnolia was a Guardian with Shamanism. Worked out well, but same problem as above with the dispel. I would swap Shamanism with the Dark Arts if I were to play it again because Guardian has high HP and the final boss is weak to dark attacks.

Finally, Tiz was a White Mage with Astral Magic. If I would have known about the dispel though I probably would have gone White Mage with Catmancy to increase his attack options, or possibly Exorcism because of the Tongues command.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: A JRPG About BOOBS!
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 07:26:43 AM »
Back in bygone gaming eras, losing out on a particular game felt like a slap in the face, because how could I take my business elsewhere when elsewhere didn't exist?  The game industry, particularly the console industry, was more tightly controlled and smaller indie/art-house developers didn't have as many outlets (pretty much PC only.)  The idea of "how do you speak with your wallet if there's nothing to purchase" was absolutely true during earlier gaming generations, but nowadays it's a wide open market.  Or perhaps it's more difficult to speak with your wallet because there's too much out there available for purchase with more options emerging every day? 

I think this:
Why bother localising Zero/Ao no Kiseki? We already have plenty of JRPGS.
Why bother making that Anthem game? We already have plenty of shooters.
Remember PT? Don't worry about it friend: you know how many horror games there are?
(Heck, why even bother making any video games when there's so dang many that most people have a backlog of things that they will never get to?)
is a straw man argument.  Was there anything said about apathy towards localizing anything?  Nope.  No nihilism here.  Merely that just because one game didn't get localized doesn't mean ALL games in its cohort won't.  Several are already available and more are in the works, from companies of all shapes and sizes.  Just because one game got a hack job doesn't mean ALL games in its cohort will too.  There are plenty available now that are still in-tact and plenty more in-tact ones in the works from companies of all shapes and sizes. 

I still don't think Omega Z's denial by the censors amounts to much in the greater scheme of things, nowadays because the marketplace is so vast and wide open.  Tis nary a drop in the bucket.  Why cry over the cup of spilled skunky keg beer that is Omega Z when there is whiskey, vodka and other hard liquor flowing over yonder (in the form of dozens of unadulterated X-rated dungeon crawl JRPGs).  Or if spirits are too strong for you, there are/were/will be several beer, wine, etc. options in the cavalcade of titillating R-rated JRPGs (past, present, and future.)  Companies of all shapes and sizes proffer offerings aplenty to fill that empty cup.  Even if the more prominent companies don't have what you're hankering for, plenty of indie/art-house/doujin creators are/were/will be totally cooking up something to your liking.   

But, again, that's my mentality.  If A doesn't give me what I want the way I want it, then B, C, D, E, F, G, and H will be right there to proffer their competing wares that promise to give me what I want and/or more.  A doesn't get my business, F does (because F's offering is really good; the demo totally resonated with me so I bought it), I get my fix and live happily ever after.
At the end of the day it's such an odd game to talk about. Personally, I'm enjoying the goofiness. For instance, there are moments where you can talk to party members in town, and they ask you questions. Answer correctly and not only will little hearts will pop up, but the character will give you an item. When I answered elf-girl's question correctly, hearts popped up, she blushed, and gave me an item called 'magic nectar'.

I busted a gut, because the item is just a standard mana restorative (albeit a 100% one, further adding to the hilarity).

This doesn't sound hilarious though. This sounds like your typical harem scenario with the "subtle" double-ententes, that's maybe amusing if you haven't seen the other 1001 other exact same scenarios making the exact same "subtle" double-ententes. Hell, noted PS2/3 JRPG series Ar Tonelico not only did the harem scenario but went total ham on it, and compared to that, Shining whatever doesn't even compare. But that and the mediocre/not even Tales of combat are the legs it chose to stand on, and those stubby nobs can only manage to stand up into the crowd. Blending in. Getting lost in a sea of tepid mediocrity.

I forgot about this game between 2014 and 2017, managed to forget about it until its launch a week ago, and I'll probably forget about it in about a month or two, if that.
My point was that it wasn't a 'subtle' double-entente. 'Magic nectar' is a standard item, and it wasn't a date scene -- just a regular conversation. It was just a combination of coincidences that made it amusing. If it was intentional, it wouldn't be funny.

It's similar to how being able to destroy things as a dragon is funny, because I honestly cannot tell if the devs even remotely thought that through. They designed this combat system around breaking enemy's guards for massive damage, and even have multiple characters that you can control for different play-styles, then render it all pointless with the dragon. They limited the dragon by making it go insane after a period of time, but quickly give you the BAND option, which negates that time limit for a different, longer one that also buffs the whole party. The game itself even suggests that you use this strategy, which just further makes me wonder what was going through the dev's heads.

I guess what makes the game work to me is that it's trying so hard to be more, but it keeps getting slipped up by its own stupid mistakes. It has a plot and characters and gameplay that it takes seriously... but doesn't seem aware of how dumb, broken, contradictory, or tread-to-death it is. I mean ffs, the arc for the main character is that he's scared to use the power of the dragon... that you can literally use in every single battle from the start of the game.

It's this complete lack of self-awareness that makes the whole thing funny, at least for me. It's no DmC: Devil May Cry (which is, to quote a friend, "Truly 'The Room' of video-games"), but personally I'm still having enough of a good time to feel like it was worth the cost. Is it a good game? No: I never said that, which is why I wouldn't really recommend it to others unless they've totally exhausted everything else in the genre and are desperately in want for this type of game. Won't stop me from enjoying it my own way though.

Given the lack of an announcement, I doubt there's going to be a Shining Resonance 2, but SEGA is looking at their older IPs, so who knows what the future has for the franchise. I don't think you should ever buy a game solely for the chance that the next one might be better, but seeing as I'm getting a good laugh, discounted price, AND a chance for a localisation of the next -- hopefully better -- Shining game (hopefully Shining Force because for god's sake SEGA, throw those people a bone)? Nah, no regrets.
At the end of the day it's such an odd game to talk about. Personally, I'm enjoying the goofiness. For instance, there are moments where you can talk to party members in town, and they ask you questions. Answer correctly and not only will little hearts will pop up, but the character will give you an item. When I answered elf-girl's question correctly, hearts popped up, she blushed, and gave me an item called 'magic nectar'.

I busted a gut, because the item is just a standard mana restorative (albeit a 100% one, further adding to the hilarity).

This doesn't sound hilarious though. This sounds like your typical harem scenario with the "subtle" double-ententes, that's maybe amusing if you haven't seen the other 1001 other exact same scenarios making the exact same "subtle" double-ententes. Hell, noted PS2/3 JRPG series Ar Tonelico not only did the harem scenario but went total ham on it, and compared to that, Shining whatever doesn't even compare. But that and the mediocre/not even Tales of combat are the legs it chose to stand on, and those stubby nobs can only manage to stand up into the crowd. Blending in. Getting lost in a sea of tepid mediocrity.

I forgot about this game between 2014 and 2017, managed to forget about it until its launch a week ago, and I'll probably forget about it in about a month or two, if that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10