Author Topic: Youtube

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube
« Reply #2865 on: October 18, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »
Want to see some seriously cool tech?

Off-shore wind farms are not a new idea but until these were made all existing installations were built on columns attached directly to the sea floor.  That limits them to fairly shallow water.  These ones actually float and only have to be anchored to the sea floor, which means they can be constructed in deep water.  This not only means there are a lot more places you could theoretically build wind farms, there are also stronger and steadier winds when you go out to sea.  Theoretically there's enough wind energy in deep waters to meet the entire world's energy demand for the foreseeable future...of course actually harnessing it is another story.  This particularly installation is rather expensive for the energy it generates.  But then it's also a first of its kind and we can expect the technology to get cheaper as it matures.

The turbines themselves are also just friggin huge.  6 MW from a single turbine.  You have to admire the engineering that goes into a project like this.

Edit: I think it's also interesting to note that the company that built this originally specialized it building off-shore oil rigs.  It makes a lot of sense that they would be able to leverage that expertise to make other off-shore structures, but there is a bit of irony there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:28:03 PM by Kevadu »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2867 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
2CELLOs music video of them covering AC/DC's Thunderstruck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

This video greatly amuses me.  I love around 2:35 everyone in the audience is appalled, except for that one girl getting into it.  It reminded me of that scene in Back to the Future when Marty McFly says to the prom, "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet... But your kids are gonna love it." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usl7tEgc31M
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 03, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
Skunk vs. Cougar.  That skunk could give lessons in self-confidence.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2869 on: November 04, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Skunk vs. Cougar.  That skunk could give lessons in self-confidence.

I remember when I went to school at Rutgers (hard to believe that was ~10 years ago), there was a den of skunks living under one of the old campus buildings near the lot where all the grease trucks used to park.  So when the skunks would come out at night stalking their prey (usually the almighty french fry), drunk freshmen would freak out like nobody's business. 

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: November 04, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
House cats also get really confused when prey doesn't act like prey. Not too surprised to see similar behaviour in larger felines.

(Sadly no video, but watching a 2 pound rabbit chase a cat four times her size around the living room never got old.)

Anyway, Youtube stuff. Here's a very handy drawing tutorial.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2871 on: November 04, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »
House cats also get really confused when prey doesn't act like prey. Not too surprised to see similar behaviour in larger felines.

The thing with skunks, though, is that they don't really have ground predators.  Yeah, cougars, wolves, coyotes, etc. could theoretically prey on skunks but generally do not because it's not worth the effort.  Killing a skunk without getting sprayed is nigh impossible, so only the most desperate ground predators would consider a skunk.  That's actually why owls are the primary predators of skunks.  They swoop in silently from the sky and because they have a fairly underdeveloped sense of smell, the skunk's weapon is not as effective. 

Anyway, here's a video of a dude playing "Somewhere, Over the Rainbow" on a theremin.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
Here's a video that shows a side-by-side comparison of real-life Shibuya, and Persona 5 Shibuya.  It's a pretty good match in some areas.
https://youtu.be/nftXCH9KllE?t=71