Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7665 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
So, don't watch the P4 anime?

P4's anime isn't BEST ANIME EVAR! good but its very well done in both English and Japanese (don't watch the P4 Golden anime tho) and you should watch it. Its pretty much faithful to the game only you don't have to dungeon grind. Same goes for P3's anime.

Except the last two episodes which do a terrible rush job that only just barely can be considered a representation of the game's final chapter.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »

P4's anime isn't BEST ANIME EVAR! good but its very well done in both English and Japanese (don't watch the P4 Golden anime tho) and you should watch it. Its pretty much faithful to the game only you don't have to dungeon grind. Same goes for P3's anime.

Except the last two episodes which do a terrible rush job that only just barely can be considered a representation of the game's final chapter.

Wait. I thought P3's anime had nothing to do with P3, that it was just a generic modern day mystery anime (the kind that immediately sets up something of a mystery that it will then either pile on a bunch of other mysteries to also never explain because all they cared about was the character drama, or try to explain the mystery in the most asinine/least interesting way possible because all they cared about was their male power fantasy protagonist getting all the women and all the powers) under the Persona label (because who'd want to make an anime about crawling through a dungeon? (pay no attention to that entire anime genre about MMO settings behind the curtain)).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: November 03, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »

It was more of a suggestion to whoever was above my post at the time. I'm looking forward to the anime, actually. Haven't gotten around to it since I'm afraid it'll spoil P4 for me, but hey. Extra bit of motivation right there, sort of like Tales of the Abyss anime was for that game (and I needed the extra motivation to put up with that prick of a protagonist).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:34 AM »
maybe it's my fault for not being wary of Bamco ports, but the Last Recode refuses to play on my PC.  And searching through many other forums seems to reveal that I'm not alone.  I was really looking forward to it too.

Pro Tip: If you go to a "help" forum, just to say that the game is working perfectly on your rig, you. are. a. prick. Congratulations, you hero. You haven't had an issues. Now  keep your mouth shut and play the game. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: November 04, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
Started up Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition for the first time in years, this time on the PS3 via the trilogy collection. Much like Ratchet & Clank and Jak 1-3, this was an experience I had been missing for far too long. I really outta make a serious effort to finish all the top games I had as a kid. Twilight Princess, Okami, DMC 3, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando...I stopped playing all of my favorites right before the end because I was afraid they'd end and I'd never want to play them again...or worse, just never have time...I think I can change that...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: November 04, 2017, 03:19:27 PM »
Just finished the second Lumite dungeon in Ever Oasis. Apparently there's only one more Lumite to collect, but considering the game's content placeholders on the menu and stuff, I'd say it does the classic Zelda thing and give me another epic quest to finish after completing this one. I made the mistake of looking at the requirements to unlock all the Fracturns (Oasis decorations that act as trophies) and hoo boy is this game going to be taking up space on my 3DS for a long time to come. Not that I have to do all of that stuff, but I'm really loving the game and so far plan to play it for as long as there's still content.

Also made it to chapter 10 of FE Warriors and I'm not sure why but I got completely wiped by the first mid-boss of the map. Just effortless. Would send someone into his fort with full health and they'd be dead in a few short seconds. Not sure how to deal with that roadblock, but I'm sure I'll work on it again at some point.

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
I got to the second of the final boss battles in Grandia II, only to get my ass handed to me, but fortunately, I kept a save before the point of no return, so I can grind for levels and magic and skill points.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: November 04, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
ASG1: Finished up a few more stages including both the last of the not-Robot Master stages and the first Wily's Castle/Sigma's Fortress/Arcadia/whatever its called this time stages. Man, does the game's upgrade mechanics suck. At least the MMZero games are designed around not ever getting most of them. Gunvolt really does expect you to grind for all of this crap to really have a chance at getting good scores to which you must then use to grind for better crap, for a chance at even better scores (and all of its Parts of Infinity +1 are generally useless or horribly inefficient).

I got to the second of the final boss battles in Grandia II, only to get my ass handed to me, but fortunately, I kept a save before the point of no return, so I can grind for levels and magic and skill points.

I did this too. Granted that was around 2004-5, and I've yet to actually go back and finish said game, but then again, JRPGs from the PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast/XBox era really did endgames rather badly.

That being said, hopefully you didn't spend Mareg's gift yet since I figured that Millenia would appreciate having SP for her Skills for said boss fight.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
As for Olwen, she's a text book case of Kaga era game design, with stats not mattering as much as stuffs like Prfs, Skills and miscellaneous stuff like PCC in FE5.

I did give Olwen the Vantage scroll as soon as I got her since it seemed a natural fit, but I think my problem was that I have a bad habit of conserving rare weapons far more than I should, so a lot of times I stuck her with a regular old Thunder tome (or a Wind tome if I can spare one since in FE5 they haven't fixed the thing from the previous game where Wind is unarguably the best basic tome). Second problem is her shaky accuracy, so even if I let her waste a lot of Dire Thunder charges she can still get herself killed if she decides to miss thanks to Thracia's one-RN and "oops you missed a 99 hit attack" system.

Still, anything can be fixed with the insane stat boosts scrolls provide, so with the Od and Sety scrolls Olwen's skill and speed skyrocketed and she soon became one of my best members. I leveled Asbel's fire rank like crazy in the early game so along with him I had two options for siege to take care of the ridiculously powerful ballistas of the game. Had to use them pretty sparingly since I moved too slowly to capture Bolting or Meteor tomes with a lot of uses left though.

Speaking of Ballista, I took the A route at the split where you approach Leonster from the front since I felt that fit Leif's character better, and 17A was not a nice map to go to when Saias showed up and suddenly Ballista had a 110% accuracy or whatever. Definitely a really interesting map though, with one of the more unique ways of recruiting a character (the game doesn't do a very good job of telling you have to hold on Misha until its all over though, and unlike Lifis she's near the start of the map).

Also this game seems to absolutely love feeding the player an absurd amount of Rewarp staves. Pretty sure with the amount I've stolen I won't even use them up by the time I finish the game. Chapter 18 and 19, however, did make sure to drain my reserves of Rescue and Warp staves because holy shit are these two maps cruel.

I enjoyed Chapter 18 mass of interesting treasures and potential captures but it has the most annoying NPC puzzle in any Fire Emblem game I've played. In my successful run I basically stood there for a good 20 turns or something shuffling the civilians in a narrow hallway until they matched up with the correct armor knight (good thing they don't attack the civilians). At least the unit you get out of it has some great stats, but he's a General so he's automatically neutered by his terrible movement. A final insult is given when Leif promotes and gets probably the most laughable promotion bonuses of any Lord. An extra 19 levels to grow is nice, though.

I like the integration of story and gameplay in Chapter 19, and Leif losing a leadership star is a really nice touch, but the first few turns of the map are insanely difficult to maneuver if you want to save the civilians. It also makes the set-in deployment of the game really annoying, even moreso than the last map. Thankfully at this point I have like 8 staff users and I've promoted most of them so I can engage in mass rewarp shenanigans. Leif also gained a ton of levels fighting all the Axe Knights so now he's a pretty respectable combat unit.

Up to Chapter 20 now and it's kinda interesting seeing the references to the events of FE4. Slightly surprised that I'm cutting into the events of mid-Chapter 7 of that game here since I assumed that wouldn't happen until the very tail end of the game. The way this story is framed is really makes me wonder if they originally planned to continue making lots and lots of games that flesh out the offscreen events of FE4. Then again they probably did plenty of that in the numerous mangas for the franchise that don't make it stateside.

Anyway I did one try of Chapter 20 which went pretty well until the surprise ballistas spawned at the bottom and instantly killed like 2 guys. They bait you with those shiny Unlock and Recover staves just to trap you with those on your first try I'll bet.

Btw, have you had anybody proc their Movement Growth yet?

Funny that you ask because I went through most of my run so far not getting any movement, save one point really early on in my first run of the prison escape which I immediately lost thanks to the death trap at the end of that map, then all of a sudden I got 2 points of movements in pretty quick succession on Lara in Chapter 18, just in time for her to cap her levels (since nobody sane would promote her), and in Chapter 19 when I let Leif grind up a bit he got a ton of movement. On top of the Leg Ring I gave Leif earlier he now has 11 movement, which I guess is going to speed up the late game quite a bit for me.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Yeah, stealing that second Dire Thunder off of her really helps Olwen out in the long run (and again, Leif supports her so that paired with the King's Sword, she'd have +20 to Hit and Avoid and +10 to Crit and Evade). I see that you decided to keep her rather than trade her for Ilios (despite taking the route for him).

Also congrats on going the A route. I find that the B route is better since you can recruit Shanam, aka the game's Silver Card, which is nice for cleaning out the game's secret shop full of Stat Boosters (plus you can get all the recruits from that route without having to sacrifice anybody from your current team), but A route is also good for a third decent flier unit and Amalda is a solid Paladin even if she's not that much of a replacement for Nanna (compared to Conomor who's more or less just there). That said, yeah. That bundle of Leadership Stars/Saias are a massive pain in the ass when they show up. The good news is that he only shows up one more time after this. The bad news is that you have one more Chapter of this asshole around making your life miserable.

Also also, you might want to consider unequipping someone and leaving them to get captured before the end of Chapter 21 (probably Glade, Sleuf or Xavier (you poor bastard) since nobody will miss them; alternatively park Sara's Kia on the side of the road while letting Leif on through to Chapter 21's escape point (because he has the right of way dammit and she's a safe driver, besides its always fun to spite Manfroy (he should've sprung for a Subaru or a Honda for her Sweet 12(?; goddammit Kaga) instead, the cheap bastard); also don't do this)).

At least now that Leif is in his base FE4 class, he'll gain Exp like an unpromoted unit does. Plus he's still probably rocking that Light Sword/King's Sword, either of which should still contain more uses than a fresh Binding Blade (and aren't as garbage as Sol Katti).

As for Diarmuid, he's really nice to have, between his Charisma/Charm skill and his Beo's Sword (fun fact, it can also be used by Fergus, but not Nanna; also for siblings its odd how Diarmuid's eye color is different from Nanna's). That being said, you're correct that the FE4 connection happens near the end of the game (I mean, at this point, now that Leif has had his bacon saved by his far more successful/popular cousin, all that's left is to wrap up some loose ends; like rescuing Eyvel and helping Ced take down Raydrik and Veld/Birdo/that generic Dark Mage).

And, lol at your Leif and Lara. Those are some really good characters to proc movement growth on.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7675 on: November 05, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »
Pretty much hit a crossroads with Paragon. I've played it enough that I feel like I have a better sense of how to play it, but I still suck at PvP. I keep trying to practive with PvE, but the bots suck in Solo, and every single match I've played Co-op has involved at least one noob who thinks he's rambo. Hell, even just poor team compositions can ruin it, and there's no excuse now. The recent additionbs have gone out of their way to make the different positions and matchups clear, yet most players don't actually give a crap. They think they're too good. It's especially frustrating in PvP. One guy though he could hard carry with a jungler, solo right lane. Said "He gets a lot of PKs, so it's Okay!"

And yes, he did get 8 kills. More than the rest of the team, actually.

He also died 12 times. More than the rest of the team, and far more than anyone on the opposing team.

That wasn't even the worst I've encountered lately, but it sticks out as a sign of just how frustrated I've become with team games in general lately. It's not that I need to win to have funb, but MOBAs seem to snowball quickly, and teamwork is absolutely required. Even Paladins had this problem, because you can't change your character once you've started the match. So no tanks, all flanks requires that everone be extremely good, or it's going to be an utter massacre. It's kind of hard to have fun when you're only on the field for less than a minute before it's back to the respawn queue.

So, aside from Overwatch and the occasional PC MOBA, I think I've moved on from my online competitive arena phase. It's just not worth the effort.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7676 on: November 06, 2017, 11:51:03 PM »
Stardew Valley - Been spending the most time on this. In summer of year one right now. I think I'd been hesitant to get this because there was something with the setting in the Mineral Town Harvest Moons that was deeply evocative to me which seemed absent here and the streams I saw made it look very mining/combat heavy. As it stands, though, I *like* going in the mines because they have their own sort of ambience, the narrative elements and worldbuilding have a lot more going on than the older HM games did (even if they do have their own sort of charm that's different from Stardew's), and the game's forgiving enough that I don't feel bogged down with having to put together a perfectly optimized farm.

Super Mario Sunshine - Got this years ago but the disc is a little cracked so I've been hesitant to play it so I'll have to see how this goes. Up to Gelato beach. Really enjoying it. Really offsetting the complete *lack* of sunshine outside ;)

Everblue 2 - Finally found a glass marble for building the aquarium. Also did a sidequest on the airplane that got me some new gear.

Quake - Finished, absolutely stellar experience with the exception of the very final boss level and I think level 2 of episode 4. The former is just a linear gauntlet of vores and shamblers. The latter is... it has some not-very-well conveyed things involving teleporters, a shambler ambush in an entirely dark room, and some very awkward platforming.

Quake 2 - Up to the detention center unit. Grenades are quite a lot more useful on hard+ since you really don't want to deal with the licker? enemies head on.

River King PSX - Up to the fourth? area with Tarou. Got a canoe from a talking rabbit. I need to go back and try to actually fill out the fish notebook instead of just beelining it to the next area I open up :P

Tenshi no Uta - Got the Crimson Cherry from some teleporter-filled tower and took it to the Isle of Man so I could calm down the sea god Manannan (which is apparently based on this although their in-game counterpart is an adorably bug-eyed loch ness monster). Sort of surprised that you don't encounter enemies based on the... Isle of Man's flag's leg triskelion thing, given how the usual enemy designs in the game go (it has something kind of along those lines elsewhere fwiw) :P After that, picked up the third party member (named Jit or Jitto or something) and left Erin for Britannia, since the seas are calm enough for boat travel.

Anyway, looked up what the spells did. Found out there's one that reduces enemy encounters, and that there are MP restorative items as well.

Secret of Mana - In the desert area. In the town after the sandship stuff -- Kakkara?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7677 on: November 07, 2017, 12:10:48 AM »
Tried a bunch of titles to see what I was "feeling" before settling on something to dedicate myself to. Dragons Dogma, The Witcher 3, Cosmic Star Heroine Girl, Tearaway Unfolded (don't laugh at me!!!) and even Brawlhalla.

Finally for some odd reason I impulse bought Horizon Zero Dawn and I am soooo glad I did.

Decision made.

Horizon ZD is all sorts of good. If for no other reason than its sheer brilliant originality. It sports a brand of fiction that just hasn't been done 101 times and that alone makes it refreshing right out of the gate.

Thought I would, at the very least, have a hard time enjoying the MC. Wrong again. Aloy (the main chickee protag) is very easy to assume the role of and immediately feel emotionally invested in for me personally.

It is only initial impressions here of course, but they are pretty promising.

NOTE: All the other games I tried were real winners too and totally on my list. Ok, well I might pass on Tearaway... they make me shine my "light" on the screen via motion controls... I still can't imagine how anyone finds any form/derivative of motion peripheral fun.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #7678 on: November 07, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
I just got back into HZD myself to take an occasional break from JRPGs. I'm enjoying it more than I did when it came out, but it still ostensibly feels like an open-world stealth game as if you get spotted by enemies before you have a chance to ambush them you're likely either dead or running away.

Or, as is the case with most games, I'm just terrible at it.

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7679 on: November 07, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
I enjoyed HZD, but as with most Western RPGs it seems like they really didn't care with regards to the soundtrack.

A few hours into Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I've been having fun doing sidequests without actually advancing the main storyline.

Grinded a little in Grandia II Anniversary Edition, and will give the endgame another go.