Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Rook on Yesterday at 10:50:57 PM »
I'm enjoying Planet With only I have no idea why I'm enjoying it.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 08:45:00 PM »
And like I said before to the point where it's becoming irritating, if a two-person husband-and-wife indie developer can craft a game with menu options to adjust font sizes for text (Echoes of the Fey ep. 2: The Last Sacrament), then the more prominent big-budget devs should too, because miniscule fonts that can't be made larger is my biggest pet peeve in the HD era of RPGing.

« Last post by Der Jermeister on Yesterday at 05:23:37 PM »
Yeah, the original DW also had adjustable text speed and skippable text, so developers of contemporary RPGs that lack them should also be thoroughly disciplined.
« Last post by Limlight on Yesterday at 04:54:58 PM »
I have to piggyback on forcing us to retrace our steps to exit a dungeon. The original friggin dragon warrior had a spell to warp you out of a dungeon so any "modern" rpg that did not should be bitch slapped.
Game Journals / Re: Jimmy Plays No Man's Sky
« Last post by Jimmy on Yesterday at 03:23:08 PM »
Haven't updated in a bit, but I've made a lot of progress, specifically in building a base. I finally found a planet that seemed suitable. It still has some super-heated rainstorms, but they are short and infrequent, so I decided to set up shop. I'm still working on building and staffing it, but I've gone through a number of the base side missions. I'm still working on the science missions, haven't started the weapons missions. Next up is building a farming terminal, which I hope means that it won't be very long until I no longer have to go out gathering materials myself.

In the meantime, I have to say that the exocrafts are incredibly fun to drive around the planet. They make it easier to go longer distances without having to get into your ship and waste launch fuel, plus they come with powerful weapons and mining lasers. This is useful because it makes it easier for you to mine right from the exocraft though you still have to hop out and do it on foot sometimes. They also make it easier to destroy Sentinels. I had to kill a bunch to gather pugneum for the exocraft side missions. They made it a lot easier. I haven't tried yet, but now that I've upgraded the weapons, I'm going to see if I have what it takes to destroy a Sentinel walker!

Funny enough, I found two planets that don't even have super-heated rainstorms in a neighboring system. They may have made better base planets, but if I find the super-heated storms impede my base in some way then I'll pack up and move the base to one of those planets.

I'll post photos and videos soon.

« Last post by Der Jermeister on August 15, 2018, 09:16:32 PM »
The completely half-assed turn order meters in the Xenosaga trilogy. Seriously, what was the (il)logic of that design?
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Greganox on August 15, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Edit: And on the subject of SRPG binges, https://gematsu.com/2018/08/strategy-rpg-vestaria-saga-for-pc-coming-west-in-2019

The race is on to see whether this or Tree House comes out first.

Having posted this though,

https://i.imgur.com/AjaCXVu.jpg

...this might not be the best news. :V
Glad this is coming to Steam. A friend of mine is a big Fire Emblem fan also and I'm sure he'd love to play this too on Steam.

I saw an image of that endgame on the FE group I'm in and damn it does look super elaborate. Can you employ warpskip or similar staff strategies in this game like in some FE titles?
« Last post by Dincrest on August 15, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
Say what you will about the rest of Generations of Doom, but that opening theme was actually pretty good, if in desperate need of better synth sampling.

The opening theme, the Dark Force theme, the "airship" theme, and Council of Skyhaven were the only four good pieces of music in that game.  But, yeah, they sounded like nails on a chalkboard through the Genny's soundchip.  Even majestic Phantasy Star IV's soundtrack had those really tinny, peaky, dissonant, harsh-sounding high frequencies.  It was like trying to play a symphony through a cheaply made, worn speaker. 

And I don't know if this was mentioned at all in this thread but it's something worth discussing.  It was most prominent in the game Lost Odyssey.  The "Power Point" cutscenes were fantastically written since they were penned by an author.  On the other hand, the rest of the game was written by Sakaguchi, who's more of a scenario designer than a writer, and it just felt amateurish in comparison.  That contrast in writing skill was so prominent in that game, ya know?

And here's another pet peeve where I don't know if it was brought up before and I'm too lazy to look.  I groan whenever a dungeon makes me hoof it all the way back to the entrance after completing it.  I'm already weak and depleted from the boss battle, give me a break. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by Dincrest on August 15, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
Another one. 

I loved in FF9 when the party's in Lindblum, Zidane goes into an arms shop and says something to the effect of, "what a cheesy suit of armor.  Who would buy this junk?"  Then later on in a "private action" (when the party splits up and you can see what each person is up to), Steiner walks into that same shop and comments on what fine suits of armor that shop has. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by Arvis on August 15, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
I literally just posted this over in the Game Journal thread, but oh well:

"Oh, you need a donation for the flea market?  Sure, I've got just the thing: my ass."

A bit crude, but nonetheless I laughed a long time at this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10