Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4725 on: December 28, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
For me, winter season is a step up from fall season, so I'm fine with it.

Wait, there was...*checks anicharts*...a lot of continuations/second seasons, and barely anything new of note...okay, you got me there...this was the most bland season I've seen, and the fact there's something new I can get excited about that's coming out this Winter already makes it far better than this previous season. I think everything cool this year was packed into the Spring season, and everything else kind of feels like leftovers...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 29, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
I watched all four seasons (or parts, as they're termed on Netflix) of Soul Eater. Reminded me a little of Tales of Destiny with weapons having personality, like Excalibur having a somewhat-cute anthropomorphic form.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
Man, Made in Abyss was a terrific watch and the manga is great too.
"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 02, 2018, 10:35:51 PM »
Net-juu no Susume (finished):  Cuuuuuuuuuuuute.

March Comes in Like a Lion (season finished):  This series has a way of punching its fist through my ribcage, wrapping its fingers around my heart, and squeezing.  The artwork is good, too.

Food Wars! (season finished):  I've enjoyed the series up to this point;  I think the idea of translating the shounen formula into a cooking anime works well.  However, the "arch-antagonist who wants to take over the world" trope isn't one they should have attempted.  It doesn't fit naturally into a cooking show, unless you're willing to crank it up to Kill-la-Kill or JoJo levels of absurdity.   This series has picked a bad time to start taking itself seriously.

Juuni Taisen (finished):  I was surprised to see Nisioisin's name in the credits, since the dialogue wasn't up to the level of Monogatari, nor was the combat at the level of Medaka Box.  The last episode, at least, had interesting writing, but I'm not sure if it was worth the trip.

Dragonball Super (continuing):  Good pacing in a long running fighting anime?  In a tournament arc, no less?  Doesn't this violate some sort of physical law?

Baka & Test (finished):  This series contains elements of military strategy, slice-of-life, harem, monster summoning, and even (briefly) serious drama; but mostly, it's just funny.

Kiddy Grade (7-episode drop):  A duo of female protagonists perform problem-solving missions for a government agency, in a science fiction setting.  Sound familiar?  Yup, this is the same basic formula as Dirty Pair, but without the light comedy and gratuitous collateral damage.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 03, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Kiddy Grade (7-episode drop):  A duo of female protagonists perform problem-solving missions for a government agency, in a science fiction setting.  Sound familiar?  Yup, this is the same basic formula as Dirty Pair, but without the light comedy and gratuitous collateral damage.

I feel like you should've stuck this one out as it goes to somewhat weird and interesting places later on (but its been years, and I never bothered to gauge just how much of the back end's changes held up over the years, or just how much of it was simple gimmicky bullshit; but I'm certain that its better than 'also from that era' animes Blood+ and Trinity Blood).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 03, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »
Food Wars! (season finished):  I've enjoyed the series up to this point;  I think the idea of translating the shounen formula into a cooking anime works well.  However, the "arch-antagonist who wants to take over the world" trope isn't one they should have attempted.  It doesn't fit naturally into a cooking show, unless you're willing to crank it up to Kill-la-Kill or JoJo levels of absurdity.   This series has picked a bad time to start taking itself seriously.

You may want to look up "Yakitate Japan".

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »
I find it hard to talk about shows I'm actually watching and enjoying...

I just finished Fate/Zero over the Holiday weekend, and the only thing I can think to say about it is "I enjoyed it." Considering my poor track record with the Fate series, I feel like I should say more, but...that's all I got. :P Guess I just need time to organize my thoughts...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »

I feel like you should've stuck this one out as it goes to somewhat weird and interesting places later on...
Well, it's not like I hated it, it just wasn't doing anything particularly original (Eclair's lipstick notwithstanding).  If this season turns out to be as weak as the last, I might give it a few more episodes.

"Along with his friend Kawachi, he’ll go up against koala karate masters, Harvard bread scientists, samurai with rolling-pin swords and more as he bakes his way to glory!"

Sounds like my kind of show.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »

"Along with his friend Kawachi, he’ll go up against koala karate masters, Harvard bread scientists, samurai with rolling-pin swords and more as he bakes his way to glory!"

Sounds like my kind of show.
If you thought the reactions to eating good food were over the top in "Food Wars" they got nothing on "Yakitate Japan".

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: January 06, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »
So, about Yakitate Japan...
I've told like a couple of people to watch it in the last year or so but it's kind of fuzzy in my mind because the manga and anime were a long time ago for me.
Just to make sure I'm not leading people astray I've just started re-watching the anime.

I'm at ep.15 and completely hooked on it.
It's just so damn good.

It really was a genre defining anime. You can see how it settled many future 'tropes' of shonen battle cooking.
Also, the puns and just pantastic.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the nun. Man, she's awesome.
EDITER: Oh my...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:49:43 PM by Annubis »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: January 07, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Man, Made in Abyss was a terrific watch and the manga is great too.

The 1st few episodes were slow but damn it got so good. Speaking of which Anime Strike is dead. You can watch everything on prime now. So go watch Made in Abyss and Garden of Sinners now.

Currently I'm watching Altair: Record of Battles and 7 eps in its been very good.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »

March Comes in Like a Lion (season finished):  This series has a way of punching its fist through my ribcage, wrapping its fingers around my heart, and squeezing.  The artwork is good, too.

I stopped at around ep 18. I just didn't find the MC to be interesting at all.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
So I finally got to watching Pop Team Epic episode 1.
I think I liked it. It's weird...

Watch episode 1 to see if you like it. There's a couple of RPG jokes in episode 1.

If you need that extra nudge:
Spoiler: show

What? More?

EDIT: Interesting... In the French segment, one of the VA is Yugo from Wakfu (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4247413/)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:39:36 PM by Annubis »

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: January 23, 2018, 07:09:34 PM »
Yakitate Japan (28-episode peacock):   I guess this captures my sentiments.

A Place Further Than the Universe (3-episodes, continuing):  A girl plans a trip to Antarctica to search for her mother; the problem is convincing an expeditionary team to take her along.  This is my surprise hit of the season.  Likeable characters, quick pacing.

Darling in the Franxx (2-episodes, continuing):  *whistles*  Now that's good giant robot anime.

Record of Grancrest War (3-episode provisional continuance):  This looked to be a decent fantasy series during the first two episodes, but the third felt a bit rushed, and the animation quality began to drop.  I'm cautiously pessimistic.

citrus (3-episode no-comment):  This is something I'm watching.  It belongs to a particular genre, and has characters and plot elements. *cough*

Pop Team Epic (3-episode what-is-this-I-don't-even):  You will either find this very funny, or consider it a complete mess.  Both viewpoints are correct.

Laid-back Camp (2-episodes...so far):  I'm enjoying this slice-of-life highschool-camping-club series at the moment, but I usually get bored with slice-of-life around episode four.  Let's see how it goes.

Hakyu Hoshin Engi (2-episode drop):  I liked the Chinese mythological setting, but the writing was a bit of a mess.  The abrupt scene changes gave me brain whiplash.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (2-episode drop):  I'm not looking for an isekai with an absurdly overpowered protagonist right now, thanks.

And here's the rest:

Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles (1-episode drop):  If you thought a series focussed on eating ramen would be boring, you'd be right.

Working Buddies! (1-episode drop):  In the first episode, some cats delivered some packages....and that was basically it.

Katana Maidens ~ Toji no Miko (1-episode drop):  It started out as a "schoolgirls with katanas battle generic monsters" series, but after a brief onsen scene, transitioned to some sort of tournament.

Junji Ito Collection (10-minute drop):   I guess this was supposed to be horror, but I found myself laughing at how silly it was.

Sanrio Boys (5-minute drop):  I'm not the target audience for this.

Slow Start (6-minute drop):  Vapid slice-of-life loli something-or-other.

School Babysitters (1-episode drop):  Too cutesy for my taste.  Sometimes I get the suspicion certain anime series have social engineering as an underlying motivation (e.g., Japan's birthrate is dropping, so let's sponsor a series that makes young children seem cute).

The Ryuo's Work is Never Done! (1-episode drop): Another Shougi series?  But far from being a potential competitor to "The Lion of March", this is just another crappy harem anime.  I'm somewhat insulted that this even exists.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (1-episode drop):  A boy gets teased by the girl who sits to him in class; his attempts at turnaround invariably backfire.  This could have been funny, but the execution wasn't strong enough.

Mitchiri Neko (1-episode drop): Well, that was stupid.

Maerchen Maedchen (1-episode drop):  Having a female protagonist in an isekai isn't all that common, but this is otherwise pretty generic.

How to Keep a Mummy (12-minute drop): Saccharine.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens [sic] (1-episode drop):  If you're a professional hitman, hiding in someone's house, waiting for them to come home so you can kill them, why would you answer the doorbell?  That level of stupid can't come naturally.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
Pop Team Epic looks too silly to comprehend. I'll be laughing at it from a safe distance, as I did with Nichijou/Ordinary Life.

Trying to decide on an anime to watch. My internet's been iffy lately, so I think I'll go through my DVD/Blu-Ray collection.

Should I watch:

Black Lagoon?
Cowboy Bebop (Rewatch)?
Trigun: Badlands Rumble?
Redline?
Banner of the Stars?
Mazinkaizer (Rewatch)?
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (Rewatch)?

Figured I'd ask, since I'm really in the mood for fast-paced Action and/Or Sci-Fi awesomeness...and I got a lot in both categories...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes