Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
Although One-Winged Angel is often cited is the all time best final boss theme, I can't be the only one who liked "Birth of a God" way better. 

Wait, what? By who?
I know its a matter of taste and all, but I honestly cant see anyone but FFVII fanboys making that claim. It is a rather large demographic though...

NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »
Maxximum- if you haven't seen this yet, you'll like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U8NZOAy7m4
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

"People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness." -Arvis

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
i think the reason FF7 is overhyped and hated is because in a time before GTA3 and call of duty it achieved mainstream success.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
That makes no sense at all.  Mainstream gaming existed well before Final Fantasy VII and will continue to exist well after it.  However, I think what you're getting at is what many of us have said already: that it was part of an "underground" genre that went mainstream that caused the backlash.  Kinda like how "tr00" or "core" Metallica fans felt betrayed after Black album became a commercial success and all these "n00bs" were jumping on the bandwagon.
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

"People are really really good at making themselves unhappy in their pursuit of happiness." -Arvis

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »
I don't see how anyone could possibly say that FFVII took a step back in story compare to FFVI. It delved into topics VI barely even scratched the surface of. Mega-corporations exerting more power than they should in a government, terrorism, and environmental messages that were pretty fucking heavy coming from a video game in the 90s? Seriously.

It's not even like all the messages smashed the player on the head either (unlike Square's recent shit, which basically explains everything and leaves nothing to the imagination or subtext). As an example, WEAPON is considered the planet's defense system. When they activate, do they go after Sephiroth in the Northern Crater? No, they make a beeline towards areas of concentrated human civilization and start blowing shit up. The conclusion is that the planet can survive meteor but humans were the bigger threat to the planet itself. A good deal of the game's story revolves around humanity's hubris and belief that they are the center of the universe while basically destroying everything they sustains them.

Before Square Enix whored out the series to a bunch of teenagers who make AMVs of the games set to Linkin Park albums, the games relied on a lot of subtext and player thought. VII was basically the epitome of that practice as afterwards the games basically made their messages loud and clear with no real room for debate.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:22:13 PM by Leyviur »

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
I don't see how anyone could possibly say that FFVII took a step back in story compare to FFVI. It delved into topics VI barely even scratched the surface of. Mega-corporations exerting more power than they should in a government, terrorism, and environmental messages that were pretty fucking heavy coming from a video game in the 90s? Seriously.

Yeah I agree, that was pretty much the thing I remember blewing my mind when I played it for the first time in 2008 or so. I was asking myself while playing the game randomly "This was really made in '97?" I honestly couldn't believe how compelling the narrative was at times.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
i think the reason FF7 is overhyped and hated is because in a time before GTA3 and call of duty it achieved mainstream success.

By that logic FFVII wouldn't have lasted more than a year before Half-Life came in and kicked its ass.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Darklight

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 02:39:34 AM »
FFV11 is freaking Brilliant and i'm sure it's still really cool to say otherwise, Go figure , I don't give a shit. Yes 6 was wonderful as well if not a little boring in places. Yes i'd already completed alot of other more complicated rpg's prior FF7. This game has it all though, it deserves a happy b'day thread :)

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
halflife wasnt that popular till HL2.

get over yourself FF7 is not brilliant. thats like calling the twilight movies brilliant.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

That is one of the most ignorant statements that I have ever heard.

You're trying to tell me that Half-Life, the game that was required to run one of the most popular multi-player games EVER in Counter-Strike, was  not popular until the release of Half-Life 2?  Seriously?
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

ValendianKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Anyone who thinks FFVII is BRILLIANT really must not have played many RPGs. How can something be brilliant if it's the same damn the story as the previous....except in 3D? No, it's just a popular game. CoD is FAR from the best FPS out there ad yet it is surely the most popular and will be remembered as such. Anyways, what FFVII DID do, was give many people a reason to buy a PS1(one of the reasons for the console's success), and also introduce many people to RPGs, particularly JRPGs.
"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »
Every game in existence is 'just a rehash' of the previous games if you want to split hairs. What matters more than what the story is is HOW it's told. FF7 told its story in ways that were unprecedented in mainstream CRPGs before then. A lot of people don't know that the method of presenting a story is often as important as, if not moreso, than the story's actual content. It's why people will sing the praises of, say, Mass Effect while deriding Star Ocean: The Last Hope, despite having similarities in many plot points.

pseudonym

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
FFVII broke new technological ground. Overall, I found the story to be interesting. The first CD was interesting and engaging, however, that sense of engagement that I had with the first disc started to taper off in the latter discs. As far as FF's goes, I think VII ranks in the top three.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

That is one of the most ignorant statements that I have ever heard.

You're trying to tell me that Half-Life, the game that was required to run one of the most popular multi-player games EVER in Counter-Strike, was  not popular until the release of Half-Life 2?  Seriously?

I always thought of HL2 as the game that overshadowed the best PC RPG ever(Bloodlines).

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past