Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »
It really is the hipster thing to say VII is not one of the best games made. I can't understand why people associate so much hate to the game when the dislike for it stema solely off the heap of shit square added to it for morons who wouldn't stop screaming for cloudxsephipoo fanfic ridiculousness. VII the game was vastly amazing for its time, and even now most rpgs still can't stand up to it in terms of story, depth, and content. VII gave you a ton of shit to do, but it never felt like a chore. I wish rpgs of today would take a cue from sidequests in vii and extra content not directly story related. The only thing thay didn't age well were visuals, but any true video gamer doesn't care about visuals enough to let it inhibit their desire to play a game.

Basically, all I'm getting at here is like the rest of the crap trendy fucks seem to like, hating vii is just cool, you know you don't hate it and you know damn well you'd love to play it again if you had the time.

TASTY!

ValendianKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
It really is the hipster thing to say VII is not one of the best games made. I can't understand why people associate so much hate to the game when the dislike for it stema solely off the heap of shit square added to it for morons who wouldn't stop screaming for cloudxsephipoo fanfic ridiculousness. VII the game was vastly amazing for its time, and even now most rpgs still can't stand up to it in terms of story, depth, and content. VII gave you a ton of shit to do, but it never felt like a chore. I wish rpgs of today would take a cue from sidequests in vii and extra content not directly story related. The only thing thay didn't age well were visuals, but any true video gamer doesn't care about visuals enough to let it inhibit their desire to play a game.

Basically, all I'm getting at here is like the rest of the crap trendy fucks seem to like, hating vii is just cool, you know you don't hate it and you know damn well you'd love to play it again if you had the time.

Ugh...what? No, not liking FFVII is an opinion thing. It didn't set everyone's world on fire, and I sure as hell know I played MANY RPGs I found vastly superior(even before FFVII ever came out). I mean...one of the best games ever? Yeah, that's some exageration there chief.
"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
It single handedly brought rpgs to mainstream success. If VII didn't happen,  you'd have never gotten our great western rpgs like mass effect. You as a person may not like it, but to call it anything other than what it is, one of the greatest games ever made, is doing it and the genre a disservice. Personally, I have a number of rpgs that I greatly prefer to vii, but will I ever claim that they are better than vii realistically, fuck no. It's like god of war. I hate the game, but to call it a bad game like it wasn't a huge hit, I'd be retarded. Opinion's aside, vii is one of the best games ever made, not just for what it is, but for what it accomplished.

TASTY!

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
It really is the hipster thing to say VII is not one of the best games made. I can't understand why people associate so much hate to the game when the dislike for it...

People were hating it long before Square released anything else FF7 related.  I'm pretty sure the hate came more because of the fanboys than anything else.  Fanboys talked like it was the greatest game on Earth; delivered to us from the heavens and could do no wrong.  When fanboys spawn, anti-fanboys aren't too far behind.  It was the same shit with Macs back in the day.

halflife wasnt that popular till HL2.

That is one of the most ignorant statements that I have ever heard.

It's Alisha.  Would you expect anything else?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
To throw my two gil into the pool; regardless of any personal feelings concerning VII I think it is definitely 'not' one of the best games made.

The present argument; that because something brings an aspect of a sub-culture into mainstream fame it is by definition 'great' is by and large false.

I point at the Twilight series of books in example; as honestly it is a pretty good parallel. It brought a sub-culture (vampires) into the mainstream for a period of time (see the onslaught of 'vampire' movies and books which cropped up during the two year span of it's initial explosion), but in truth is really an 'average' product in and of itself at best; regardless of what it created and/or allowed to be created by existing. (Sub note: Also as part of the comparison; note both FF7 and Twilight have obsessive/insane fans which pretty much make anyone in or out of the fan base wish their existence to never have happened. Just a point of amusement.)

VII, both in its own time and by current standards is pretty much middle of the road. Once you peal away the 'ooh' and 'ahh' factor of the graphics as interpreted by relevant standards of the time it pretty much scores C+ to B- in both story and gameplay.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Errr.... the materia linking system is still brilliant by today's standard.

I think this comes down to 'haters gonna hate'.

I'm not too sure though why people are so vocal for their unlike of FFVII in it's aniversary thread though.
You guys do realize this is like going to a 15-year old boy's birthday whom invented something that sold more than ten million units and instead of being happy for him, you tell him he's lame and an accident?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:32:44 PM by Annubis »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
Brilliant in what regard? I found it convoluted and still falling prey to the same errors that plagued Final Fantasy all the way up until VIII. Any battle can be solved by plugging in your strongest magic spell and casting it until the enemy falls (At VIII this became 'spam regular attack' and I don't think it really started being fixed until X-ish). Having AoE magic and sub-abilities being tied to Materia just created an artificial grind; serving no real purpose beyond that since a majority of the non-magic Materia added nothing to gameplay. Additionally the scaling of equipment and stats against materia pretty much made the 'Trade HP for MP' system null and void.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
'Trade HP for MP' system null and void.

Your argument is void already. This materia was specifically made for people who did low level playthrough. Yes, they actually thought that far ahead.

(EDIT for this is even cooler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnZUhVse9uU)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:57:36 PM by Annubis »

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Heh, well this thread was bound to deteriorate eventually. Anyway, hate it or love it, It was, and probably always will be, the most recognizable JRPG ever. I for one thought it was a fantastic experience from start to finish. Sure the story got somewhat incoherent but it didn't really concern me all that much. It had likeable characters, great locales, great music and I thought, a great battle system. It's in my top 10 for sure.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
To throw my two gil into the pool; regardless of any personal feelings concerning VII I think it is definitely 'not' one of the best games made.

The present argument; that because something brings an aspect of a sub-culture into mainstream fame it is by definition 'great' is by and large false.

I point at the Twilight series of books in example; as honestly it is a pretty good parallel. It brought a sub-culture (vampires) into the mainstream for a period of time (see the onslaught of 'vampire' movies and books which cropped up during the two year span of it's initial explosion), but in truth is really an 'average' product in and of itself at best; regardless of what it created and/or allowed to be created by existing. (Sub note: Also as part of the comparison; note both FF7 and Twilight have obsessive/insane fans which pretty much make anyone in or out of the fan base wish their existence to never have happened. Just a point of amusement.)

VII, both in its own time and by current standards is pretty much middle of the road. Once you peal away the 'ooh' and 'ahh' factor of the graphics as interpreted by relevant standards of the time it pretty much scores C+ to B- in both story and gameplay.

Or they could take one look at everyones' Popeye arms and say "We're done here." (or "This doesn't look anything like Advent Children.").
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
You guys need to stop with the 'greatest games ever' debate. It's purely subjective, because people generally have different ideas about what makes a game great. I happen to think the Mass Effect series is one of the greatest series ever made, but many would disagree - as well they should, not everyone should have opinions exactly like mine.

I think that most people here want to say that FF7 is the one of most INFLUENTIAL games ever made - it put CRPGs on the map, it elevated video games as a story telling medium to new heights, and showed that RPGs could be just as flashy as other games. For better or worse, it basically shaped the method of CRPG creation for the next decade, at least. If you dispute this, you are wrong. Period.

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
I wouldn't place FFVII on my top 10 favorite RPGs, but I still end up doing a play through of it every 2-3 years (speaking of which, it's about that time again). The game is still incredible for two major reasons:

1. Story telling through atmosphere.
2. The character development of Cloud.

Explanations:

1.) The real enemy in FFVII is not Sephiroth or Meteor, it is the polluting energy monopoly Shinra. As you travel across the world you see Shinra's influence everywhere. How it eats towns and spits them out. The world is fascinating, and our understanding is developed so subtly. For the longest time I wasn't impressed with FFVII's soundtrack too much. But then I started to realize how much it ties the whole game together. So many tracks are simple variations on others. But that commonality, keeps cohesion as we travel the world. It is a reminder that all the places we visit are tied together.
2.) Cloud can be easily confused as a mess of a character. I think it doesn't make a lot of gamers happy that the hero who is first portrayed as a cold badass, is really anything but. Cloud is trying desperately to mask his insecurities and weaknesses. He lives a lie in order to feel better about himself and it nearly destroys him. However, he finds redemption and strength, overcoming his psychosis. The lifestream sequence is one of my favorite moments in all of video games.

PS Since it was brought up, my favorite track in the game is Interrupted by Fireworks.

xXMelancholiaXx

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
I don't see how anyone could possibly say that FFVII took a step back in story compare to FFVI. It delved into topics VI barely even scratched the surface of. Mega-corporations exerting more power than they should in a government, terrorism, and environmental messages that were pretty fucking heavy coming from a video game in the 90s? Seriously.

It's not even like all the messages smashed the player on the head either (unlike Square's recent shit, which basically explains everything and leaves nothing to the imagination or subtext). As an example, WEAPON is considered the planet's defense system. When they activate, do they go after Sephiroth in the Northern Crater? No, they make a beeline towards areas of concentrated human civilization and start blowing shit up. The conclusion is that the planet can survive meteor but humans were the bigger threat to the planet itself. A good deal of the game's story revolves around humanity's hubris and belief that they are the center of the universe while basically destroying everything they sustains them.

Before Square Enix whored out the series to a bunch of teenagers who make AMVs of the games set to Linkin Park albums, the games relied on a lot of subtext and player thought. VII was basically the epitome of that practice as afterwards the games basically made their messages loud and clear with no real room for debate.
You pretty much explained why I still love Final Fantasy VII to this day. ^_^

RavanValrick

• I like rpg's. Surprised?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
Final Fantasy VII certainly holds a place in my heart, being one of the first role playing games I ever played, and likely one of the ones I have played through most often over the years. I shall probably have more to say on VII later, but first I'd like to entertain a thought. Both VII and VI have been regarded as the epitome of Final Fantasy, often being heralded as making great leaps and bounds towards what a role playing game could and should be. However, I would submit that IV was the one that made the greatest leap in storytelling and presentation as opposed to the previous role playing games offered. While admittedly sparse in many ways that older rpgs were, IV was the first that really tried to give the characters unique personalities and really make the player care about the quest in a more personal way. While I personally enjoy VI and VII more, I am speaking strictly in terms of the advancements made. V was a step backwards for the series in terms of story and characters, but I believe VI and VII are so beloved because they took the spirit embodied by IV and expounded upon it in new ways. So in a way, the great rpg revolution was really set in motion initially by IV, but just didn't really come to fruition until it gained momentum with VI and finally exploded with VII. Just a bit of musing on my part.

Thoughts?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
People hating on FFV get my evil eye...  It wasn't about story or characters... the focus seemed clearly about difficulty/combat for that one.  FF6, IMO, took a step BACK in combat compared to the versatility of V's.  It was quite easy too....

Some of you gamers put the story on a pedestal. =/
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!