Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 12:36:42 AM »
And yet still we have WARGARBLLLLL WHERE MAH CHRONO TRIGGER and FF6?!?! crowd. News flash: they even remade your CT and FF6 like-games you always wanted. Its called I am Sestuna and Bravely Default. Oh and both those games are trash grindfests but I'm sure they'd be incredible where they belonged, in 1994. You are even getting your Secret of Mana. Oh and here comes a new Dragon Quest, whose archaic battle system and barebones story will probably bore you to tears by hr. 30.  RETRO JRPG MASTER RACE R U NOT ENTERTAINED?

Calling you out on this. Bravely Default was a poor substitution (even before getting into the second half, or the original JP version) and I am Gundam! was pretty much a publisher funded College Student's Grad Project (littered with plagiarism, completely tonedeaf, had only one moderate hook to run into the ground, horribly unbalanced, and just shabby all around). Hence why Bravely Second is a game that most people only consider to have existed at one time, but isn't talked about much, and nobody listed Lost Spheda (I could be wrong, its been a while since I checked) in their Anticipated Games of 2018 Thread posts.

Besides, for every CT/FFVI fanboi still griping about the lack of sequels, you still have plenty of Suikoden fandom clamoring for a true Suki VI, or Level 5 fans wishing for lightning to strike the same place twice for Dark Cloud 3, or Shadow Hearts fans waiting for the IP to fall into someone else's hands.
« Last post by Kevadu on Yesterday at 11:48:12 PM »
And yet still we have WARGARBLLLLL WHERE MAH CHRONO TRIGGER and FF6?!?! crowd. News flash: they even remade your CT and FF6 like-games you always wanted. Its called I am Sestuna and Bravely Default. Oh and both those games are trash grindfests but I'm sure they'd be incredible where they belonged, in 1994.

Uh, you realize that neither Chrono Trigger nor FF6 required any grinding.  FF6 in particular was too easy if anything.
Marle having a bow that makes her not useless in the endgame on the DS version is nice though.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on Yesterday at 08:06:41 PM »
I hope Scott never reads your post. :P
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Andrew on Yesterday at 06:13:46 PM »
Tomara, was that you posting archery on the FEH Subreddit? :)
« Last post by Rook on Yesterday at 06:13:21 PM »
@Rook

Re: FPS Games - I think it's fairer to say that the EA's, Activision's, and Ubisoft's combined greed have swelled into a supermassive blackhole inside the industry. It's not just FPS games that have been hurt by recent lootbox and Pay2Win shinanegans, after all.

Plus, there's still good FPS games that have come out in the last 4 years or so, with the latest being Wolfenstein II.

RE: RPG talk - What?

Yea its swelling into other games, thankfully it hasn't been the ones I've been playing....yet. As far as FPSs go I'm sure there are still good ones out there if that's your cup of tea. The ones that are more single player oriented haven't been hit hard with hardcore loot boxing. 

My point about RPG games is that right now especially in JPRGs the recent slate has been excellent. On sites like neogaf etal people constantly complain that JRPGs aren't what they used to be and yes for much of the PS3 era it was lousy, no one denies this.  However since then they've come roaring back and the scene is arguably as great as its ever been if they just give the new games a chance.
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Yesterday at 05:05:26 PM »
@Rook

Re: FPS Games - I think it's fairer to say that the EA's, Activision's, and Ubisoft's combined greed have swelled into a supermassive blackhole inside the industry. It's not just FPS games that have been hurt by recent lootbox and Pay2Win shinanegans, after all.

Plus, there's still good FPS games that have come out in the last 4 years or so, with the latest being Wolfenstein II.

RE: RPG talk - What?
General Discussions / RPGFan Official Discord
« Last post by ScottC on Yesterday at 05:04:08 PM »
Another monthly bump for more visibility for anyone that has missed this.
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 04:53:08 PM »
I finished reading The Two Towers and will start Return of the King before bed tonight. 

I wasn't too impressed with Shelob, but the following chapter where Sam
Spoiler: show
is trying to define himself without Frodo
was terrific and it ended at a really tense cliffhanger. 
The extra dungeon and boss fight aren't anything to write home about though (if you have any experience with Squeenix's FF 1, 2, 4-6 GBA era ports, then you'll have an idea of what to expect; if not, then expect a long, grindy ass, megadungeon that adds nothing to the core experience, but is instead pure fluff stapled onto the side for those at the postgame looking for a way to level grind up to Level 99 or to make their capped numbers even huger; hell CT has hard stat caps that you don't need super dungeons/equipment to hit, and the ultradungeon utterly defeats the idea behind CT as a light and airy SuperNES era JRPG).

The SuperNES or the Wii VC versions are currently the most definitive experience, with the DS version on equal footing if you completely ignore the added content, followed by the DS version in its entirety, and lastly the PSX FF Chronicles version with its long load times and the PSN port of that version because it was already there.

Like the GBA version of FFVI changed things up so that you have a chance to get the Gold Hairpin from Lone Wolf in Narshe (or a last chance to learn Water Rondo in WoR) as well as infinite Ragnaroks/Illuminas(Lightbringers) later on (all it takes is to farm the motherfucking final boss). The Gigadungeon Dragons' Den was loaded with gimmicky 'even for an FF game' boss fights, trash mobs with capped HP totals and jacked up stats, ultimate weapons for every party member that were still weaker than Ragnarok/Illumina(Lightbringer), armor and accessories that weren't any more impressive than the stuff you could abuse the Colosseum for, and the Diabolo Esper for beating the final boss of the dungeon which teaches Quarter and Meteor or someshit. And then there was the Soul Shrine which was a 100 Floor Gauntlet which you ran in the hopes of gambling against the RNG for items you could take to the Colosseum to turn into Gem Boxes(Triple Stars) because having one super mage wasn't good enough (and by like Floor 60, they were diving into the monster pool from the Gorgeous Deluxe Collectors Edition Ultimate Dungeon Alpha 2 Turbo of the Seven Stars; and yes, it operated on "No Items!, Fox Only!, Final Destination!" rules).

TL;DR: SuperNES/Wii VC/DS (minus the extras) > DS (plus the extras) >>>>>> PSX/PSN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10