Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Der Jermeister

• PikaBluth
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7755 on: December 27, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
WA2 has a Personal Skill that recovers HP when one's Force Points go up, which can lead to situations where enemies actually heal you when attacking, so yeah, you can definitely break the game's balance.

Still messing around in Dragon Age: Inquistion. Have advanced the main plot a few times, and I haven't had any real trouble.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7756 on: December 27, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
Liz and Ard are a classic case of "lost in translation."  Their dialogue is translated directly from Japanese without regard to anything else, so what would have been clever wordplay in Japanese reads as nonsensical in English. 
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Liz and Ard are a classic case of "lost in translation."  Their dialogue is translated directly from Japanese without regard to anything else, so what would have been clever wordplay in Japanese reads as nonsensical in English.

B-b-b-but literal word for word translation is always best!  Muh purity...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: December 27, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
^ For entertainment purposes, it is the best.
Thankfully in this case, it's easy enough to figure out what's going on through dialogue. However, you can tell when someone is supposed to say something profound, or humorous, because the conversation suddenly turns into an irrational word salad.

WA2 has a Personal Skill that recovers HP when one's Force Points go up, which can lead to situations where enemies actually heal you when attacking, so yeah, you can definitely break the game's balance.

No doubt. I've seen that skill, but I haven't used it, for fear of the reason you mentioned. The game is already easy enough as it is.
I've already fully upgraded the magic girl's (can't remember her original name) magic enhancement personal skill, and so long as I know (or learn) a boss's elemental weakness, she can take out said boss herself in two turns, using a basic spell.
The tough/strong guy has both his attack power and critical chance skills fully upgraded, and he is basically one-hit-killing every non-boss enemy he touches.

...So I guess it is due to overpowered skills. Too bad you can't dial them back once they are applied (as far as I know, anyway).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: December 27, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
^ For entertainment purposes, it is the best.
Thankfully in this case, it's easy enough to figure out what's going on through dialogue. However, you can tell when someone is supposed to say something profound, or humorous, because the conversation suddenly turns into an irrational word salad.

No doubt. I've seen that skill, but I haven't used it, for fear of the reason you mentioned. The game is already easy enough as it is.
I've already fully upgraded the magic girl's (can't remember her original name) magic enhancement personal skill, and so long as I know (or learn) a boss's elemental weakness, she can take out said boss herself in two turns, using a basic spell.
The tough/strong guy has both his attack power and critical chance skills fully upgraded, and he is basically one-hit-killing every non-boss enemy he touches.

...So I guess it is due to overpowered skills. Too bad you can't dial them back once they are applied (as far as I know, anyway).

Personal Skills aren't the only gamebreaking thing about the game though.

Brad's first level Force Skill basically lets him ignore his ARMs accuracy stat completely until the final weapon levels where he wants to straight up triple his damage output instead. Ashley is entirely about activating Knight Blazer and forgetting it. Lilika's first Force ability lets her mass heal for cheap, and healing/buffing/rezing the other two later on. Another female party member can end up with serious firepower earlier than the others, but is most likely stealing everything from under the sun. The other two are largely redundant, though the boy has a better midgame presence to Lilika's stronger Early and Endgame performances and can utterly cheese one of the game's superbosses.

Also, there's an obvious source of farmable Lucky Charms that shows up right before Brad's Prologue Dungeon and popping one of those during every boss fight will easily keep you well leveled and funded for the rest of the game.

Really, the only real difficulty exists in the puzzles which aren't that difficult (Lufia 2 has better head scratchers overall; although I'll freely admit to failing the first one in the final dungeon due to me burning out on the game and wanting to get it over with) and the superbosses who's gimmicks are generally 'crap out enough damage to one-shot anything that moves'.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
Personal Skills aren't the only gamebreaking thing about the game though.

Brad's first level Force Skill basically lets him ignore his ARMs accuracy stat completely until the final weapon levels where he wants to straight up triple his damage output instead. Ashley is entirely about activating Knight Blazer and forgetting it. Lilika's first Force ability lets her mass heal for cheap, and healing/buffing/rezing the other two later on. Another female party member can end up with serious firepower earlier than the others, but is most likely stealing everything from under the sun. The other two are largely redundant, though the boy has a better midgame presence to Lilika's stronger Early and Endgame performances and can utterly cheese one of the game's superbosses.

Also, there's an obvious source of farmable Lucky Charms that shows up right before Brad's Prologue Dungeon and popping one of those during every boss fight will easily keep you well leveled and funded for the rest of the game.

Really, the only real difficulty exists in the puzzles which aren't that difficult (Lufia 2 has better head scratchers overall; although I'll freely admit to failing the first one in the final dungeon due to me burning out on the game and wanting to get it over with) and the superbosses who's gimmicks are generally 'crap out enough damage to one-shot anything that moves'.

I had forgotten about how easy it is to use the also-overpowered force skills.  I rarely think of using them, because most of the time, basic and special (ARMs; magic) attacks are so effective.

It seems it's difficult to not become super beings in this game, ...which is fine. I can't take it too seriously because of the lazy translation, anyway. I'm gonna Electric Boogaloo this shit 'til the end.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: December 28, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
I've been playing Mass Effect (the original).  I've finished one playthrough, and I'm partway into my second.  I'm enjoying it, I suppose...but I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I like the setting (spaaace), but the characters and the plot don't really do it for me.  I had some difficulty with the gameplay at first (shooters aren't really my thing), but it was okay once I was sufficiently overlevelled got used to it.  I like some of the artwork (the skies on alien planets can be quite extraordinary).  The music is mostly forgettable.

Some of the sidequests are just silly.  People are just walking up to Shepard and asking him to spy on their competitors...for money.  This sort of thing might work in a fantasy setting, but Shepard is a military officer.  Why would you ask him to do such a thing?  Why would he accept?  Spectre or not, he's got a job to do, and it's not like he isn't drawing a salary.  My disbelief was not suspended.  If they had made Shepard a mercenary (instead of a marine), this might have worked a whole lot better.

In my opinion, this production doesn't qualify as science fiction, or even space opera.  It's a boilerplate fantasy plot in space.

And I think the plot has a hole.
Spoiler: show
Most of this game is centered around Shepard and Saren seeking The Conduit.  The Conduit is, as I understand it, basically a one-way stargate into the Citadel; the Protheans used it to hop over, and reprogram the keepers so that the reapers couldn't issue the signal to open the door to dark space.

Which, considered from the context of the beginning of the game, makes The Conduit completely unnecessary.  At the beginning of the game, Saren is still a respected Spectre, and has access to the Citadel.  He doesn't need The Conduit at all.  All he has to do is walk in the front door, reprogram the keepers, and it's done.  Why is he risking his reputation by messing around with Prothean beacons, which don't do anything but show people funny pictures and give them a headache?

So, no, I'm not impressed with the writing here.

However, I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars? Don't answer that.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: December 28, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
Mass Effect
... the characters and the plot don't really do it for me.

Not even Tali??
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: December 28, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
I've been playing Mass Effect (the original).  I've finished one playthrough, and I'm partway into my second.  I'm enjoying it, I suppose...but I'm a bit underwhelmed.

ME1 is, by a sizeable margin, the most inferior Mass Effect title.

go play 2

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: December 28, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »
ME1 is, by a sizeable margin, the most inferior Mass Effect title. go play 2

Thanks.  I was wondering if it was typical of the series; if it had been, I'd have stopped there, and written the whole thing off as overrated.

Mass Effect
... the characters and the plot don't really do it for me.
Not even Tali??

My primary reaction to Tali was "her voice actress has a cute accent".  None of the characters were well developed enough for me to feel much of anything for them.  Maybe that changes in ME2/3?  Or maybe I missed some conversations somewhere.  Maybe on my third playthrough (hooray for trophy hunting!) I'll make a point of talking to everyone between story missions.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: December 28, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »
Got PSN cards for Christmas, so I started playing Sonic Mania and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, both of which have been high-octane delights. Oh, and I started replaying Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 via the HD collection, which has been...a slower burn than I remember it being? I guess I really was spoiled by the Tenkaichi games...it's still fun and charming, though. Just a little clunky in spots, though with the various modes, I feel like I could play this forever.

Also, Paragon's doing its Winterfest thing, so I've been playing some of that for the daily rewards and Daily Quests (which are not the same thing), and just generally trying to get enough matches in for the Skin rewards. I'll probably take another break from it after next weekend.

On the plus side, the fact that people are more concerned about getting a lot of matches in seems to be leading to a lot less dragged out fights. Had 4 matches today that all ended in Surrenders before the 20 minute mark - 3 of which I honestly felt like the enemy had the advantage, but they surrendered, anyways. :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:10:49 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• PikaBluth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: December 28, 2017, 08:45:36 PM »
Don't think I've mentioned it before, but I beat Metroid: Samus Returns earlier this December. Was fairly enjoyable, though they give a disproportionate amount of regular missile upgrades compared to others such as life.

Still messing around in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Also started Resonance of Fate on my PS3. Has a hell of a learning curve, as I spent the first hour messing with tutorials, but it definitely shows promise.

Working on Proud Mode missions in Kingdom Hearts Union Cross.

Haven't made much progress in Tokyo Xanadu, though I'm near the end of the main chapters. Don't know if I'll do the epilogue.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: December 29, 2017, 02:27:46 AM »
I literally have a notepad document where I assign consoles or themes to each day of the week and the current game I'm working on for that console or theme

This made me feel soooooo much better about how the calendar on my phone reads! (BIG)LOL

Seriously, thank you for making me feel less bat-shit-crazy OCD than I in fact am.

Now I have another confession. I think amiibo's are fantastic. This makes me hypocrite as I was the first to shake a stick at the cash-grab-toy gimmick. OK, so maybe I downright denounced the concept. Thing is, now actually using them, the idea of collecting figurines that actually do something in game gives me the perfect reason to put something on a shelf and I am enamored.

MARIO ODYSSEY-- The swimming mechanics here are to be commended. Tough to find a game with such fine fishy gameplay.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: December 29, 2017, 10:45:15 AM »
Also started Resonance of Fate on my PS3. Has a hell of a learning curve, as I spent the first hour messing with tutorials, but it definitely shows promise.

I hate that fucking game so much. Good luck.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: December 29, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
Now I have another confession. I think amiibo's are fantastic. This makes me hypocrite as I was the first to shake a stick at the cash-grab-toy gimmick. OK, so maybe I downright denounced the concept. Thing is, now actually using them, the idea of collecting figurines that actually do something in game gives me the perfect reason to put something on a shelf and I am enamored.

I think you had it right the first time, bro.  Just because they have a tiny function in-game doesn't mean you're not littering your house with pointless trinkets.  Spend your money how you will, of course, but as an adult hobby, figurine collection seems like one of the least practical and least beneficial of them all.

I hate that fucking game so much. Good luck.

I loved it and still hated it, if that makes sense.  Frustrating lack of narrative and stupid difficulty spikes makes finishing the game a chore.  And yet the cast is awesome and the customization and battles are oddly addictive.  Also: what else out there is ANYTHING like this?  Just its uniqueness alone makes it worth a try.