Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 12:10:12 PM »
PS3's Escape Pipe trick. A rather unorthodox and convoluted bug fix from the olden days, but amusing nevertheless.

Also Ramza fucking murdering the hell outta Mustido.

Also also, several bits across Kattlox Island. Including popping up in a not so abandoned warehouse to A) crash a pizza party and B) circle strafe an 8 story tall giant robot that proceeds to level this section of town (finally).
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Today at 12:10:00 PM »
The Sega Genesis never really had good audio quality to begin with. And yeah, having to cheat or use a guide is not an indicator of good design in an RPG.
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 11:59:28 AM »
Say what you will about the rest of Generations of Doom, but that opening theme was actually pretty good, if in desperate need of better synth sampling.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 11:29:34 AM »
Gig in Soul Nomad is one of those rare instances where I found his English voice acting vastly superior to the Japanese.  Easily Yuri Lowenthal's best performance ever.  The scenes early on in the game where Gig mocks Danette for being stupid were hilarious because his pungent and acidic snark reminded me of some former RPGFanners who would just straight up skewer you if they thought you were being an idiot.

EDIT: Oh, how could I forget to mention some of my favorite comedy moments from Chrono Trigger.  I loved the scenes when Chrono would bring his companions home to meet his mom.  His mom's exchanges with Ayla and Frog were the absolute best.  I also laugh hysterically every time Ayla "snu-snus" Chrono on the side of the cliff when they first enter the prehistoric era.  Ayla's party in the DS version was a riot.  Soup became skull-smash (clearly an alcoholic beverage, by Robo's calculations), Lucca denying getting all white-girl-wasted, and Ayla being massively hung over the next day. 

« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 11:20:03 AM »
That 1980s cartoon Beverly Hills Teens pwns 90210, The Hills, all that.  Seriously, can 90210, The Hills, and today's "spoiled rotten rich kid drama" reality shows compete with this: http://www.forcesofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Beverly_Hills_Teens_Cast-1024x320.png

And though I griped about "y u no have moar battel theemz?" Phantasy Star III did the "multiple battle themes" bit horribly wrong.  I would hear multiple pieces of terrible music badly spliced together in an illogically nonsensical way throughout the course of one random battle.  It was one of of those instance where I wondered, "Were the programmers on drugs when they thought this would be a good idea?" 

Ugh, the story was Phantasy Star III's only saving grace.  Otherwise the grainy graphics, nails-on-a-chalkboard music, and plodding gameplay were abysmal.  I Gamesharked that game without guilt.  Okay, that's another gripe.  If I have to Gameshark a game in order for it to be even playable, then you know it's bad.  Xenosaga II is another one I Gamesharked with no regrets.  That game's battles were so poorly designed.  I had to find the needle in a haystack in order to get through even the simplest of normal skirmishes.
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 08:33:23 AM »
I think Legaia was one of the few instances where an "anime-thing" visually aged up the characters rather than vice versa.  Normally, characters are drawn to look way younger than they really are.
It's bad in any case! All media needs to stop this shit! I mean for fucks sake, why do they make 30+ year olds play high school girls in movies and tv shows!?!? Just knock it off already!

I think that sentiment rang more true during the 1990s with Beverly Hills 90210 being the scapegoat for that. 

Obvious reference, but I had to do it anyway.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 01:06:05 AM »
Somebody, get Reddit on the line. We're finally getting one of those questionnaires that used to be Japan only, and the first question involves asking "How many Ice Pillars strike Surtr's Spirit Bomb in Book 2's opening movie?" A.(17) B.(27) or C.(37)

That's not the kind of question I was hoping to test my mettle on.

(Looking at the actual video on my phone, its either 'B' or 'C' since 17 is way too few (unfortunately, the phone version hides several of those ice pillars just off screen, along with foreground hogging pillars blocking most of what should be visible; plus there's a fucking bunch from outta nowhere staying almost completely off screen until the very last half-second), my guess would be 'B'.)
General Discussions / Re: Humble Bundle
« Last post by Annubis on Yesterday at 09:18:34 PM »
Really fun games to play when having people over.
Yeah... people to play with is why I'm not getting it =/
General Discussions / Re: Humble Bundle
« Last post by kofvscapcom on Yesterday at 08:41:36 PM »
Wow, it has been awhile, but this bundle is really good so I feel like I have to poke people for this. If you don't have the jackbox party pack stuff it's really good. It includes all 3 of the party packs, Drawful 2 and a bunch of the You Don't Know Jack games. Really fun games to play when having people over. I also got the humble monthly for Tales of Berseria.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/jackbox-party-bundle
« Last post by Agent D. on Yesterday at 08:36:07 PM »
I also liked how the Kingdom Hearts games had different battle music in each of their worlds.
KH2's Pirates of the Carribean world music will always hold a special place in my heart as a strangely awesome beatdown theme.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10