Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Tomara on September 27, 2018, 04:31:51 AM »
Archery talk. Yesterday, I taught someone how to shoot with a sight. Took a few hours off my own practice time and several years off my life. The guy is in his fifties, diabetic (-> not much feeling in his hands, fucked up dominant eye), more confident than I'll ever be (slightly justified, he does have over a decade of experience with a crossbow), and not exactly the most co÷rdinated person I've ever met. He's the only person I know who managed to hit himself in the face while stringing his bow with a bowstringer (which is generally the safest method and should prevent exactly that). But, I:
- managed to rummage together a sight, tools and accessoires (a challenge, because the guy need to use a left-handed bow)
- helped him improve his stance, allowing him to get closer to a full draw (he has two frozen shoulders, so figuring out something that works for him is a challenge), though this does mean we'll need to find a different bow for him next time, because the one he's using now is actually too short
At the end of the evening, his groupings were pretty decent and nobody got hurt.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off teaching than doing.

... I'm the skill fodder of the guild, aren't I?

Speaking of guilds, I had a pretty awesome weekend. The guild threw a big party to celebrate their 165th anniversary and I did what I do and like best: helping out behind the scenes and stay far, far away from the actual partying. I did go to the buffets, though. While I helped with a lot of the prep for the brunch, dinner was a complete surprise. Okay, not complete, when they said it was going to be something big I was already convinced they'd be roasting a whole pig (and they did) and it was easy enough to figure out what decorations would be used, but I did not expect musicians playing medieval drinking songs. The biggest surprise, however, was the other food: the soups were all vegetarian! I ate so much mustard soup!

Actually, I ate a lot of soup throughout the weekend. Everyone did. I faced the consequences on Monday, when all the soup pots had the be scrubbed out. On the upside, it was cold outside, but the kitchen was so nice and warm.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on September 27, 2018, 03:59:49 AM »
I wanted to like this Tiki and her DQ Slime-like face, but her weapon and potential BST have me worried, not to mention we already had enough versions for a Tiki Emblem. Best thing I can say about this is: atleast it's Tiki and not Corrin.

Still going to pull, though. Blue is a 3/3 want for me, as is red. Green, I'm debating. Fodder would be good, but that's all there is to it for me. Colourless is a very clear nope. I might pull one if there's only one on a lucky circle (I wouldn't mind a Grima merge or Maribel), but that's it.
« Last post by Hathen on September 27, 2018, 02:50:32 AM »
At least I'd say the character reveal was (mostly) a pleasant surprise for once rather than one where you're just scratching your head like Grima being a Hero or Undead Fireball Lady. Only thing is that I think Adult Tiki would probably be more appropriate for the title, but the fanbase likes loli Tiki way more so there's that. The unit is busted as hell but she might herald the coming of DC weapon refines so I guess that's something to kinda look forward to if you want to use Xander or whoever again.

I was planning on rolling Green to get merges for Lector, and getting even more Steady Breath fodder is attractive as always, but I kinda hate that Spring Sharena is the other unit. She's a solid unit, but I already have a +10 Nino and she's kinda redundant there, and she really doesn't have much to offer in the way of skills. Not really worth eating her for Res Tactic and the list of units who would make good use of Swift Stance is pretty short (and the units I can think of would probably benefit more from a Bond skill).

Also I wouldn't say Jugdral/Valentia is completely out of the running yet. Even if we assume two of the remaining Legendaries will be the Nifls, there's still 3 slots to go. No matter who they choose someone's getting screwed though, for sure. Honestly though it doesn't feel like there's any really obvious choices left for them to fill those slots since they already gave us Marth.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on September 27, 2018, 02:31:04 AM »
@Rook My Hero Academia celebrates the tropes of shounen anime while refining the formula where it can. If you outright dislike those tropes, though, I could see it not really resonating with you. It's not like it's trying to reinvent the genre or anything. As a huge fan of shounen who also has been enjoying MHA, I'd argue it doesn't really need to. The passion it put into how its characters are written, how well-thought-out its setting is, and how there has been very little filler, leading to a much more consistantly-entertaining experience that I haven't seen since Hunter x Hunter finished airing...it's been easily the most fun out of any series this year that I've seen. Just my two cents.

Anywho: Started rewatching Mobile Suit Gundam UC, and I'm up to episode 6 already. I really should've rewatched this sooner, it's not as flawed as I thought it was when I was going months between episodes. Characterization was much more consistant, at any rate. Episode 4 was still very rushed, though, with entire subplots truncated to the bare minimum...I basically had to read quite a bit on the wiki just to figure out who Loni Garvey's parents were and why they were so important, when they died, what motivated Loni, why she seemed so crazy (I figured she was a cyber Newtype, but no, she was just a grief-stricken girl who was pushed towards piloting the behemoth her father designed). They kind of mentioned this in the show, but it was so slap-dashed that I couldn't really wrap my head around it...

I recall episode 6 was a little slow, so I'll save it and the final episode for tomorrow. Hopefully the finale is better than I remembered...
« Last post by Aeolus on September 27, 2018, 02:10:20 AM »
So unless they're going beyond 16 Legendaries, lol Jugdral and Valentia got fucking robbed (Roy not getting in is also kinda sad, but Elibe already has two other Legendaries to its name; either way the Ephraim dev strikes again). Meanwhile we now have a goddamn Tiki for every occasion (well, okay we don't have a Colorless or Mounted Tiki yet). The rest of the banner consists of Bridal Tharja, Karla, L!Ike for Red; Micaiah and Spring Catria for Blue; Spring Sharena, B!Ike and Lector for Green; and Jaffar, Maribelle and F!Grima for the dozenth time for Colorless. Its pretty ehh for me, no colors I can ignore but Colorless is totally empty for me so I'll end up leaning towards that, but hopes are high for a Karla and F!Grima finally.

As for Poncho Tiki herself, she's going to be the latest BST nightmare given her status as A) a Gen 2 unit, B) an Armor, C) a Dragon and D) a Trainee. They also FINALLY gave her Divine Breath, which of course means that she's running Lightning Falchion Breath++. She's also getting Fierce Breath (+4 Atk and -1 Cooldown on EP), Bold Fighter and Personal Skill 'With Everyone!' which gives +5 Def/Res to herself and anyone standing next to her.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Rook on September 27, 2018, 12:14:48 AM »
So I was bored and started watching My Hero Academia and watched about 18 episodes. Shonen isn't my thing but recently its been Grapest anime ever so I'd give it a try. Its fine I guess. However its so paint by numbers shonen that I fail to see what people see in it (dunno: maybe the reason its so popular is becuase its such a paint by numbers shonen). I mean jeez at least do 1 thing different like ship your MC w/ frog girl instead of boring moe girl or something.

Other than that Handebayo is good. I liked the twist in the middle where the MC
Spoiler: show
turned into a little shit, and I think would be a much more interesting anime if she stayed that way. unfortunately she's going to find redemption through the power of sprots and friendship by the end of the season. bummer. 

Oh and AoT its still really good! not sure why its not as popular as it once was. I enjoyed season 2 and Season 3 has been even better (arguably my fav anime of the year). Sure they are dragging out this "mystery" of the Titans but they are doing it well with little reveals with each episode instead of just saving it for say the final 2-3 episodes like some animes do.

Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Der Jermeister on September 26, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
Saw a key plot scene for Claudia in Romancing SaGa, and ended up losing both her animal companions. Luckily, I was able to fill in the gap with two story characters, which now entirely compose my party, after finding I could actually travel to a large variety of locations.

In Chapter 5 of Toukiden: Kiwami, and am taking my time with side missions.
« Last post by Andrew on September 26, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »
I played on Normal and found some TMs that were below my level that could one-shot me, so beware.

Thanks for the heads up!
« Last post by Arvis on September 26, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
I played on Normal and found some TMs that were below my level that could one-shot me, so beware.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Last post by Arvis on September 26, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
I admit I didn't get a shot of that :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]