Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread
« Last post by bigdeath on July 11, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »
I always up the difficulty of Beseria and I didn't have much a problem. And I'm terrible at timing. I'm not good at using Rokurou's counter though. lol
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Tales of Discussion 2: Dawn of the New Megathread
« Last post by Grainofariver on July 11, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
I'll just say that I'm terrible at reading opponents moves, getting proper timing and countering enemy moves. Its why I suck at fighting games and avoid them so I'm quite happy to see tales games move away from that. Yeah, Beseria is quite a button masher but theres still depth to the gameplay on higher difficulty. The less I have to worry about proper timing the better.
Thing is, on harder difficulties you kinda HAVE to be able to side-step and dodge. Healing is so reliant on break souls that you're gonna get annihilated if you don't avoid a healthy number of attacks. Given Graces' and Berseria's popularity I don't think this is the direction they're moving away from, but rather something we're gonna be seeing a lot more of. Personally I don't care: I like JRPGs and action games, so I'm fine either way. What bothers me is this in-between where neither aspect feels rewarding.

For example, party composition in Berseria was a complete joke. Since every character was designed to be competent on their own (a good trait from an action perspective!), it also means that the only character that matters is the one you chose. I played Berseria cycling party members out with each dungeon just to see different post-battle skits, and never noticed a difference in combat. Combined with the reduced significance of levels and skills/stats being tied to a god-awful equipment system (nevermind the RNG of random skills, why the HELL do I want to invest in upgrading a weapon a bunch of times when I know I'll find a new one in the next friggin' town!), it just felt really lame as an RPG

Unfortunately it didn't fare much better as an action game. All the environments are empty squares and circles, combos are limited by a stupid resource system, teammates can distract half the enemies in a battle, and this system of 'comboing' turns most enemies into sand-bags. Action-games are all about finding unique ways of challenging the player, but these elements -- inherited from older games -- keeps Berseria from providing the kind of engaging encounters I've come to expect from the best in the genre.

I don't care if they go back to the older style or not: I just want them to create something that can make combat feel rewarding again. Nier: Automata, Ys, Dark Souls 1... each of these games took a different approach to balancing their action elements and RPG elements, and in my opinion each one did so in a much, much better way than modern Tales.

The big downside for me with Beseria is the Dungeon design. Very bland with too many enemies, I don't bother to fight everything. Theres not much reward in doing so either. Its just a waste of time.
With you 100% there. This is my single biggest problem with the post-Xillia games. I complain about the combat, but I'd much rather see this fixed. Contrary to what I've typed up here, Berseria really is my third favourite in the series due mostly to the characters, but it might be higher if not for the terrible environments. The thing I enjoy most about Tales is the adventure, so when that takes you through bland field and bland cave, it's a bit of a damper on the overall experience.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Jimmy on July 11, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
DOUBLE PUNCH! YA!

No progress story wise in Bravely Second, but I did beat Belphegor. Turns out it had a rolling elemental weakness. Once I honed in on that I was able to kill him no problem. I had Yew using summons, so he was all-purpose, and I equipped both Edea and Magnolia with Shamanism so they could use Warhead and help out. I then swapped Tiz back to Astrologian to counter Sloth. It took a while, but it worked out.

I'm going to tackle Lucifer next. I'm going to try using Soul Mirror to counteract the counterattacks though I'm not sure if it can reflect counterattacks. We'll find out! I'm not sure how to beat Satan as I don't think I have anything that will nullify the all-Berserk skill he uses. I'll look into that more after Lucifer is done.

Jobs-wise, I think I've decided on the endgame jobs for all but Tiz. I'm going to have Yew be Yokai because of the -ja level spells (interestingly enough I've been working on some Old English and reviewed -ja stem nouns the past couple of days, so that was a unique coincidence). I'm going to stick with Valkyrie with Edea as it is still the powerhouse it was in the first game. I think I'm going to go with Guardian for Magnolia as it's pretty powerful and has some useful skills to amp it up. Not sure where I'll go with Tiz. I really like the sound of Exorcist, but it's hard to deny that level 11 Astrologian skill. I'll keep working on it.

In the meantime, Yew is working on mastering Yokai, Edea is working her way through Templar, Magnolia is on Kaiser, and Tiz is doing Patissier. I'm not sure how I like Kaiser. While useful, a lot of its skills could bite back if you're not careful. And I hate Patissier. Too much work for too little gain, but I'd like to have each job mastered by at least one character so...
Brush and Quill / Re: Book Thread Continued
« Last post by Jimmy on July 11, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
There's definitely a problem with speciesism in the Redwall books, but they're still pretty enjoyable. I never made it further into the series than Pearls of Lutra, but I've been thinking of continuing them since they're pretty fun and not too much of a commitment. I bet they'd be nice to relax with during the semester...
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Hathen on July 11, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Got Kagero on my free pull. Way to many of this lady and they still haven't given Poison Dagger a refine so for now I just throw her on a giant pileup of big boobs.

On that note, I gotta say this set of new weapons for the refinery are probably the biggest disappointments by far. A lot of refines in the past changed the way a unit is played in some way, the best ones so far probably being Alm and Lilina (there's other good ones but those are the ones I found the best in actually shifting how a unit is played). This set of refines are just better versions of the base weapon they come with anyway, and Nephenee definitely came out on top within that with the effectiveness to armors, though chances are people would still just go for the +SPD refine over the special refine because I see no point in running her as a pure enemy phase unit. Katarina ploys pretty well with that RES stat but Owltome is honestly kinda bad for her because her DEF is so low that she won't be taking much advantage of it. The biggest disappointment was definitely Titania though- well, the sprite is nice at least, but something to break her out of the mold of being purely a blue counter would've been nice, and the Tactics refine is so restrictive when most people run her on Cavalry teams to get mileage out of her rounded stats. I guess it's to make her pair up well with LIke and take care of everything he fears but I'm guessing lots of people who already had her built are going to stick with a Poleaxe or Slaying Axe they gave her.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Grainofariver on July 11, 2018, 03:06:15 AM »
I'll never understand the apparent disdain a lot of people seem to have for the 360. I bought mine new, and it lasted me roughly 10 years, with absolutely zero issues.
Well lucky you. I personally had bought mine new, and had to get it either replaced or fixed more times than any other console.
Right there with you. $400 for the console, $300 for repairs because the stupid thing always broke within weeks of the warranty expiring. I remember the last time it happened was right when they announced the slim. "No really guys, this one won't break!"

IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BREAK TO START WITH YOU DING-DONGS.

Then the thing they sent me back must have an extra fan in it or something, because it's so freaking loud it literally -- lit-er-a-lly -- drowns out the sounds of most games on my default volume. I had to borrow (and eventually just wound up keeping, since he didn't want it back) my friend's when I re-played Vesperia last year.

I'm glad you've never had any trouble Frost: I would never wish this crap on anyone. That said, unless Sony really screws it up, PC/Playstation (and I guess Nintendo when they release a not-stupid console) are it for me. Who knows though, Sony has gotten a really fat head the past few months.

Also I guess I should add that I beat DMC3 again on PC this time. I re-bought the HD collection during the Steam sale because my poor PS3 controller is on its last legs. New PS3 controllers are surprisingly expensive at this point, so while I can't afford that, I can drop 20 bucks to spare it more suffering.
General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Rucks on July 10, 2018, 10:10:26 PM »
gutted for you, my friend. condolences.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Rucks on July 10, 2018, 07:25:18 PM »
^ I just thought it was way too loud haha
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Jimmy on July 10, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
A little over 70 hours into Bravely Second now. I spent the last ten hours getting the Templar and Yokai jobs, defeating some of the Yokai beasts, and running around for Catmancy/Mastery skills. Before I proceed with the story, I'm going to go to the various dungeons/areas that have blue chests and get the items in those. Once that's finished, I'm going to take another crack at some of the Yokai beasts. I defeated four of them, but am having trouble with the other three. I'm hoping leveling up will help somewhat though I imagine I'll probably need to set up the party in a specific way as in some of the harder fights in the first game.

Jobs (all mastered jobs mentioned are only to level 10, not 11):

Yew has mastered Black Mage, Summoner, Sorceror, Red Mage, and is now working on getting Freelancer to level 10. I want to move him to Yokai next, but I'd like to have all the beasts defeated. Maybe the trick is to use the Yokai beasts against each other?

Edea is currently working on mastering Charioteer. She has mastered Valkyrie, Knight, Fencer, and Hawkeye.

Magnolia is working on Merchant. She has mastered Guardian, Dark Knight, Hawkeye, and Ninja.

Tiz is currently working on Catmancer. He has mastered White Mage, Bishop, Exorcist, and Astrologian.

Not sure what my final party will be jobs-wise. I think it may have to do with whatever level 11 skill looks most enticing as I don't think I want to grind anything beyond Freelancer and one other for each party member.
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Tomara on July 10, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »
I love compensation orbs, so of course I love the dumbasses that earn them for us. I hope we get them soon, because this is going to be one of those 'Will Tamara ever get a Takumi?' kind of months.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]