Author Topic: The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:16 AM »
Maybe you guys could help me with something? I'm looking for a comic or two to cover in an anime/manga magazine. We always dedicate some space to non-Japanese games/comics/movies animefans might find interesting, but it can be hard to find titles if you're not fully up to date when it comes to comics and well... I'm not fully up to date.

Basically I'm looking for graphics novels/first collected volumes that:
-were influenced or inspired by Japanese comics and/or (pop)culture
-are available in English
-are/were released somewhere between April and July 15th of this year

Korean and Chinese comics are welcome too.

Some titles that qualified in the past:
-I Kill Giants
-Monstress
-Attack on Titan Anthology
-Wayward
-Dramacon
-Tokyo Ghost
-Kill 6 Billion Demons
-Scott Pilgrim
-Milkyway Hitchhiking
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:25:07 PM by Tomara »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »
I'm going to have to figure this one out- I've read my fair share of "non-Japanese manga" but much of it is older than this year. 

I wonder if any of this year's Free Comic Book Day offerings fit the bill: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/catalog

Miraculous might fit, since though the show is a French-Japanese collaboration.  However, according to Action Lab Comics, much of the Miraculous comics came out last year. 

I'll have to look into this some more. 

EDIT:  If the whole "Japanese inspired/influenced" thing wasn't a requirement, I would wholeheartedly recommend Malika: Warrior Queen from Youneek Studios.  Vol. 1 came out earlier this month and it is a historical fiction fantasy about an African kingdom facing both civil war and the looming external threat of the warmongering Ming armada.  Writer Roye Okupe is Nigerian and Youneek Studios' creative team is all African.  However, several Asian artists were called upon to craft the Ming Dynasty concept art, so Malika is a multicultural collaboration.

Malika was my absolute favorite offering during Free Comic Book Day and the full Vol. 1 is spectacular.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:48:57 AM by Dincrest »
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."
     -Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn)