Author Topic: Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »
Honestly, I know the series isn't as popular as Zelda by any means, but it would make more sense to me if they were to develop a Fire Emblem live-action series.
Fire Emblem 4 as a live action series along the lines of Game of Thrones would be so freaking amazing. O.O I mean you have everything you need there for it to be amazing. Epic war? Check. Crappy romance? Check. Drama? Check. Evil cult trying to resurrect their dark god through incest? Check. It will never happen since we don't even have an official English translation, but I can dream of it.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »
Honestly, I know the series isn't as popular as Zelda by any means, but it would make more sense to me if they were to develop a Fire Emblem live-action series.
Fire Emblem 4 as a live action series along the lines of Game of Thrones would be so freaking amazing. O.O I mean you have everything you need there for it to be amazing. Epic war? Check. Crappy romance? Check. Drama? Check. Evil cult trying to resurrect their dark god through incest? Check. It will never happen since we don't even have an official English translation, but I can dream of it.

Yeah, it's a big dream that would never happen to be sure, but that is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned it. And to be honest, I can't think of a better way to actually bring FE4 to Western audiences. But Nintendo would never, ever allow that to happen.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 12:12:56 AM »
If they're smart, they'd give Link only a few rare (if any) lines, but they'll probably make him a chatterbox.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »
Only if his lines were the usual variations of Hiya! and Hup! and Waaaaaaaaa! or Hurg!.

Yeah, it's a big dream that would never happen to be sure, but that is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned it. And to be honest, I can't think of a better way to actually bring FE4 to Western audiences. But Nintendo would never, ever allow that to happen.

I don't know what's stopping a western release more, the fact that the villain brings up the Final Solution (as an alternate choice compared to the ongoing child hunts), that some of the ladies on your own team have rather unfortunate tastes in men, the fact that some of the gen 1 characters end up dying some rather gruesome deaths, the question about what happened to the gen 1 characters that didn't die at the end of gen 1, the unfortunate Jealousy mechanic, the question of whether to include the bug that allows gen 2's main character to fall in love with his own (half) sister, the set in stone plot based half-sibling incest, or the lack of a remake (ala the DS games).

And that doesn't even get into Thracia and some of the unfortunate implications that it made ("Say Delmud? How come you can use Beo's Sword when you're Nanna's brother and she's Finn's daughter and also can't use said sword and not because of her class?").

Also congrats on your 11 hundred and 11th post Jimmy.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 06:52:20 AM »
I don't know what's stopping a western release more, the fact that the villain brings up the Final Solution (as an alternate choice compared to the ongoing child hunts), that some of the ladies on your own team have rather unfortunate tastes in men, the fact that some of the gen 1 characters end up dying some rather gruesome deaths, the question about what happened to the gen 1 characters that didn't die at the end of gen 1, the unfortunate Jealousy mechanic, the question of whether to include the bug that allows gen 2's main character to fall in love with his own (half) sister, the set in stone plot based half-sibling incest, or the lack of a remake (ala the DS games).

And that doesn't even get into Thracia and some of the unfortunate implications that it made ("Say Delmud? How come you can use Beo's Sword when you're Nanna's brother and she's Finn's daughter and also can't use said sword and not because of her class?").

Also congrats on your 11 hundred and 11th post Jimmy.
Ignoring the fact that it would never get a U.S. release without a rerelease (and we know how many rereleased Fire Emblems got western releases to begin with). I think the fact that incest is a plot point would be the element of the game that is the strongest reason why we would never see it. Well that and the fact that the game is so casual with incest. For example, I'm 90% certain that Claude and Sylvia are unknowingly siblings that were separated and they are practically a canon pairing. I was also going to cite Seliph and Ceres, but looking at the wiki that seems to have been a bug.....which is hilarious to me as I recall that I got that by accident my first time through. So instead I guess I'll go with Shanan and his niece. Seriously game of thrones material right here!

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »
"Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience"

That sounds like one of the worst things ever.

I have a feeling that particular description is just Netflix attempting to sell the show to the Netflix viewers who DON'T know Zelda.
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
It would be nice to hear some sort of feedback from Nintendo that acknowledges the WSJ story and confirms some level of involvement in the reported talks.

Edit: Forgot to post this meme I made over the weekend. I think it's the first I've ever made, yet I can't remember... Anyway hope you all enjoy:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:36:29 PM by OrsonFury »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
It would be nice to hear some sort of feedback from Nintendo that acknowledges the WSJ story and confirms some level of involvement in the reported talks.

They're the only site to have reported it so far aren't they (with other sites just reporting their report)?
I'm half surprised this hasn't been debunked as a bad rumour.

I do agree that FE would lend itself way better.  But Zelda is way more popular a choice (IIRC, a rare case of a series that does better overseas than in the homeland).
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »

They're the only site to have reported it so far aren't they (with other sites just reporting their report)?

I do agree that FE would lend itself way better.  But Zelda is way more popular a choice (IIRC, a rare case of a series that does better overseas than in the homeland).

Best RPGs to make into a TV show:

In no particular order: Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Digital Devil Saga.

Green Light it. They would all certainly be better than whatever drivel the networks are puking all over the general public these days.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:07:20 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

I do agree that FE would lend itself way better.  But Zelda is way more popular a choice (IIRC, a rare case of a series that does better overseas than in the homeland).

Best RPGs to make into a TV show:

In no particular order: Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Digital Devil Saga.

Green Light it. They would all certainly be better than whatever drivel the networks are puking all over the general public these days.

I'd bet that Inuyasha would work well (for god's sake, nobody do a goddamn live action Inuyasha, it took years just to get through that goddamn slog of an anime the first time).

Then again, isn't that Seventh Son movie basically "JRPG: The Movie"? Just take that and make it into a TV show.

True Edit Rune: Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to a Suikoden TV series. Especially if they A) got the main series writer back (not sure if this is even possible), and B) picked up after the Five Runes war and went to the Holy Harmonian Empire.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:22:44 PM by Aeolus »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
Videogames feel like an untapped adaption black gold oil field.

Among the suggestions here, Zelda still feels like the bad choice besides its popularity.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
The problem with Zelda is that its incredibly straight forward plot-wise.

You have some story where "Many years ago, somebody (presumably Ganondorf/Ganon), stole the Triforce of Power (or is just being evil in general). While Princess Zelda has the Triforce of Wisdom (eventually, or maybe not; either way she needs to be kidnapped) which she divided into 8 pieces before being captured (or was necessary for some ritual or asleep or something; or not). Now Link must go reclaim those 8 pieces to save her (or whatever to reclaim the Master Sword instead)."

All but like three or four of the dozen plus Zelda games fall into this plotwise. Whether Zora Princesses are throwing themselves at Link's feet or Link's getting launched in a barrel off a catapult to break into a fortress. It doesn't matter, because it almost always essentially breaks down into the above at some point. It's hard to build a show based upon 4 sentence long paragraph.

Plus I doubt that even Netflix has the budget ready to throw at this for the show to do something like do justice to a Dark World type setting (que fucking blue lens filters all the goddamn time) or massive dungeons or rocking boss fights where Link is swinging around on Peahats like goddamn Spiderman.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Most critics agree that television right now is at an all time high in terms of quality. I don't know what you're watching, but I recommend checking around and you might be surprised.

Also, The video game series with the most potential to be turned into a TV show in my opinion would be Tomb Raider/Uncharted. Why nobody has tried to make an Indiana Jones style serial is beyond me.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »
If by "television" you mean, "the 4 networks that actually have more than one decent program on it, plus the two pay networks, plus the streaming and on-demand services that you can technically use on a television" then yes, I'd agree. Otherwise, no there's just more channels now with the decent programming all spread across a million different channels (which are largely own by the same 6 people anyways), many of which are in direct competition with eachother to the point where they often follow similar formats and styles.

Of course, I have Time Warner Cable, so take that for what you will...

...also, I'm not much for Television in general anymore (but would be willing to watch a Zelda TV series see I'm totally on-topic!!!), to the point where outside of Anime and the occasional J-Drama, I can't say I've actually watched more than maybe a dozen television programs that I felt were truly worth my time in all my years of watching TV - and 4 of those were cartoons. However, this also excludes mini-series, which are awesome - we seriously need more of those, and I'm glad The History Channel at least has caught onto that and put out more good mini-series.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »
If by "television" you mean, "the 4 networks that actually have more than one decent program on it, plus the two pay networks, plus the streaming and on-demand services that you can technically use on a television" then yes, I'd agree. Otherwise, no there's just more channels now with the decent programming all spread across a million different channels

^ this 100%

Network TV is littered with derivative crime drama's (they are all a mix between CSI, Law and Order and NYPD Blue at this point) and horrendously unfunny 3 camera sit-coms (Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men alone may have set back the concept of humor as we know it a good 15 years).  Cable is so bloated with reality TV (and the O'Reilly Factor) that it's exhausting to sift through all of the chaff in order to find the few bits of wheat that are worth consuming.  My TV watching habits have veered more and more towards alternative mediums because those are the only places one can regularly expect to be presented with something decent.

ANNNND SCENE
rant over

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"