Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4995 on: July 19, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Saw the live-action version of Beauty and the Beast. Sort of unnecessary, but decent nonetheless. I liked the direction it took with its casting and acting, with a combo of stereotypical-sounding French characters and neutral-sounding characters still indicative of its setting, something I wish Personas 3-5 did with their voicework so the acting didn't sound completely race-lifted (hey, this is an RPG site, so...).

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: July 26, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
Saw Spiderman: Homecoming while on vacation. It was fun, and enjoyable, but it isn't hard to see how Spidey's fortunes have changed since the start of the MCU. Once he was the most popular Marvel character, and arguably even more popular than Batman and Superman, but now he has to be awesome just to hang out with the Avengers, otherwise he gets yelled at and ignored. The action was also a little hard to follow. I still think the first and second Spiderman movies with Tobey Maguire are the best, but I think Spiderman: Homecoming comes in third place. Even though I think Andrew Garfield was probably the best casting choice for the character to date, the Amazing Spiderman movies were mostly garbage.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
Saw Spider-Man, too, and had a great time with it. Nothing else to say really, so I'll just post the song that was stuck in my head on the how from the theaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGN9fZvQhc

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »
I saw Dunkirk a few weeks back. I thought it was good, but at times a bit disorienting.

Also saw the new It a few days ago. Some really good performances from the young actors (I haven't watched Stranger Things so I'm not familiar with any of them), but the movie was just kinda "meh" overall for me. The discussion I've seen generated as a result of is a nice reminder of how fucking weird Stephen King's writing is, though.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: September 14, 2017, 05:08:55 AM »
Ok I finally watched the mummy as I said the last of the two movies I'll ever watch going forward (old movies are ok)

But yeah I kinda knew why... this was going to be a weird experience.

So basically it boils down to Tom Cruise and his whole career IMO, which of course has had some pretty great moments. A Few Good Men, the Mission Impossibles, quite honestly, and dozens of other things.

However, at the end of the day, he's still just all around carefree Americana which is nice, I like that about him and everyone else has. Heck even the Jack Reacher series was pretty entertaining.

So when he gets caught up in the whole egypt and England and everything and he's all "Wait leave me out of this!" It's a pretty great thing, but that said... well spoilers..

Yeah he picks the dumb blonde aryan bitch, in the end, over a genuine Egyptian goddess.

And that seems to be the choice of most Americans these days, quite a tragedy, really, but whatever, their adults and free to make their own choices... quite honestly he should of been ecstatic to see her drowning, I know I was.

Also as far as value goes it's sadly a bit limited, the psychotically racist/extremist arch New Zealand English dickus villain Russel Crowe, who's rampaging homoerotic overtones were certainly noted in this movie, somehow manages to "survive" and so then the fact that dumb blonde german aryan bitch cunt survives along with Anglo-Saxon fuckwad while yet more Middle Eastern culture is brutalized for no particular reason strikes me as well..

Yeah, fuck this shit, I was already on the way out before these things, and I'm glad this movie was made and had some value, but it's pretty much the sine qua non of all that's fucked in modern America.

But hey, there's one more, which is the ultimate expression of American fuckery, Transformers: The Last White, which I will be enjoying hopefully sooner rather than later...

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
I watched Moana. I wasn't crazy about how Maui looked on the poster, but in the movie itself I thought he was a really great character. His intro brought to mind a bit of how the Genie was introduced in Aladdin.

Similar to how I felt about Frozen and especially Zootopia, this movie again made me think that Disney's really been upping their game in recent years while a lot of Pixar's movies have been kinda "eh" for me. It actually got me interested enough to do a bit of reading on Polynesian culture.

Also saw Spiderman Homecoming. After two reboots I had a really hard time working up any excitement for this one, which is why I passed on seeing it in the theater. I gotta say it won me over though. I really liked the villain especially, would not mind seeing more villains like him in the MCU. If I had any problem with it it's that I felt like Spiderman wasn't in any real danger the majority of the time. Some crazy shit happens but it feels like he always comes out the other end with very few scratches. I'd place it just under Spiderman 2.

Finally, on the recommendation of a movie buff, I saw a movie called Farewell My Concubine. It's apparently a really well-regarded film, and it didn't take too long into the film for me to see why. Like a lot of great drama films it's hard to explain why it's great simply via a summation since the plot itself is pretty simple. Definitely not a movie to watch if you're not in the mood to deal with some heavy things though.

Reading about the film afterwards was pretty interesting by itself. In a headscratching but nevertheless typical decision, after initial screenings the movie was nearly banned in China but just ended up censored after international outcry. Don't think I'll ever understand the reasoning for this sort of thing. That aside, reading about the director was pretty interesting too. The fact that the director himself was a Red Guard in his youth adds so much significance to several scenes of the film for me.

EDIT: I saw some more movies and stuff. I saw the Lego Batman movie and I liked it enough. It got a couple good laughs out of me but there was this really weird "assembly line" feeling permeating throughout the film for me.

Blade Runner 2049 was one of my most anticipated films this year, and I was really excited when I heard initial responses were positive.

Visually, I liked it a lot. Thematically is where the movie dropped the ball for me, and that's what made the first movie exceptional. I really loved the movie at first, and it did set up some very strong symbols and themes, but it really lost me around the second half, where I felt it became a really generic scifi movie.

I'm writing this just after seeing it, so maybe I need some more time to process everything from it, but for me, I knew the first Blade Runner was one of my favorite films the instant I finished it. This was not the case for 2049.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:27:59 PM by Hathen »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #5001 on: October 14, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
I feel thematically, Blade Runner 2049 is much more strongly about the relationship you see with K and Joi --- or just generally the ideas about love.  I thought it was an incredible and incredibly successful film in most regards and I'd love to double dip on it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: October 15, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
It actually wasn't so much the "second half" of the film that lost me so much as it was the last 30 minutes or so. Still, after having some time to process the film I appreciate it a little more now. Some parts of it still bother me though. Guess I'll go ahead with the spoilers since the movie's been out for a while now.

Spoiler: show
The final action scene in the ocean was very visually striking, but I didn't get much from it beyond that. The final confrontation between Roy and Deckard, beyond just being pretty, was Roy teaching Deckard what it felt like to be hunted. Given 2049's focus on the womb and the supposed difference between being human and not to being born from one, as something of a follow up to the first film's obsession with eyes, I thought what was going to happen was some kind of action scene that would be visually reminiscent of a birth scene. Instead we have Luv declaring how she's the best, then K drowns her. I've tried thinking of how this sequence might've linked back to the themes or symbols the film was setting up, but I'm coming up with nothing.

There's also a part of me that thought Deckard's inclusion felt a bit unnecessary. The scene where he's talking to Wallace was the only one I felt was good (though strictly speaking I don't think you even really need Deckard in the room to pose that same question). I don't think it really matters if Deckard meets his daughter, plot-wise or thematically, so I thought it was a bit of an odd note to end the film on. On the other hand, the shots with the real/fake snowflakes on the hands at the end was really nice.

Also the inclusion of the resistance aspect of the plot was a bit out of left-field for me. It didn't feel like it really added anything at all and almost felt like a bad sequelbait scene.

Also I watched Donnie Darko and The Foreigner. I watched the former via Director's Cut, which I hear is some great blasphemy, but nevertheless I thought the film was fine. Kinda reminds me of Fight Club in that someone of a certain age will really love the film, but only because they completely misinterpret the point. The latter contains a hackneyed and convoluted conspiracy plot somewhat buoyed up by some good performances from Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. If you have a burning passion to see Jackie Chan with a dead serious grimace on his face I guess this is the film for you. It did have a couple scenes of Jackie Chan beating the crap out of people though, which we all know is the only reason people ever watch him.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5003 on: October 15, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
The Incredibles was on TV so I watched it.  I feel like this is one of the more underrated Pixar films (at least among the general populace because critics really liked it), but man is it good.  I love how it's more about the family dynamic than the superhero stuff and that it tackles more adult themes like the midlife crisis.  I also liked the depth of the antagonist.  Comic book and superhero films have evolved big time since The Incredibles, but even now I would have to say that The Incredibles remains one of my favorite superhero movies.  (I know I raved about the Guardians of the Galaxy films, but I consider them "comic book" films rather than "superhero" films, since none of the GOTG characters are superheroes in the traditional sense.) 

I hear The Incredibles is getting a sequel next year.  I hope it's good.  From what I understand, the creator had been thinking about doing a sequel for years, but didn't want to until he felt it was 100% "right." 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: October 15, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
Nosferatu (1922):  This is one of the earliest vampire movies, if not the first.  Being from the silent movie era, there are some aspects that might seem cheesy to a modern audience, but this film is still genuinely creepy.  Count Orlok (portrayed by Max Schreck) is a monstrous character, more a daemonic predator than a well-dressed gentleman of class.  Wherever he goes, he is accompanied by rats and pestilence.  He does not turn his victims to vampires, but kills them outright.

Some elements which today would be considered cliche, even comedic, appear here with the force of originality;  it's hard not to cringe when Orlok rises from his coffin.  One of the more memorable scenes was Orlok walking through a town, carrying his coffin lightly under his arm like so much baggage, an almost absurd juxtaposition of the mundane and the eldritch.

There are technical issues here (I guess night scenes could not be shot at night with 1920's film technology), but the cinematography is remarkable for the era, especially in the use of shadow.

Here's a picture of the Count, to trouble your dreams.

Dracula (1931):  This is acclaimed as a classic, but I have no idea why.  This movie is boring.  The pacing (and dialogue) are slow, the acting is uninspired, and the overall effect is about as frightening as a head of cabbage.  Bela Lugosi's Dracula isn't even interesting enough to be a potential target for parody; but at least van Helsing occasionally slips into mad-scientist territory.

Even by 1930's standards, the special effects are pathetic.  The bat is obviously being dangled from a fishing pole or somesuch (at least the wire wasn't obvious), Dracula passing intangibly through a giant spider web is implied by cutting away, and then back again (better to have left the scene out), and too much is done off-screen.  Dracula bites someone?  Off-screen.  Dracula gets staked?  Off-screen.  Dracula turns into a wolf?  We have to be told about it, second hand.  Forget about seeing the transformation, we don't even get to see stock-footage of a wolf running away!   When the subject of werewolves came up, Nosferatu at least provided a shot of some sort of wild dog.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:33:29 PM by ironmage »

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: October 16, 2017, 03:54:39 AM »
Finally got my Movie Pass card. I'm pretty sure it runs on dark magic but I cant wait to use it.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: October 24, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
Saw Thor: Ragnarok because as usual, Marvel movies get an earlier international release.

I thought the first Thor movie was incredibly bland, even compared to other Marvel origin stories, so I never saw the second one...or at least I don't think I saw it, if I did it was so forgettable I forgot I even saw it. Hmm. Anyway I quite enjoyed this one. For some it might lean a little too much into the humor but I found it a lot more enjoyable than the first one. I don't think it was as good as Guardians 2 or Spiderman: Homecoming but I liked it went all-in with the silliness inherent to the Thor character so there's a lot more variety to the visuals and is generally a fun time. The former two balanced the more serious character moments with the fun bits a lot better than this movie did though.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: October 24, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Happy Death Day was a lot better than I was expecting. I was worried the trailer spoiled too much but there was a lot more to the movie.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: November 19, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
I saw Doctor Strange, one of the MCU films I skipped on partly due to never hearing of the character. It has the same annoying cliches found in almost every Marvel movie, including a bad villain and throwaway female characters, but I will say that this movie is visually a lot more interesting than the other MCU films, and the ending action sequence and resolution were especially enjoyable.

Also watched the Power Rangers movie hoping for a movie I could endlessly make fun of, and was disappointed to find what I would consider a competently made movie. Was hoping for a cheesy/campy movie, but it played it more like a typical modern superhero movie. I feel that was a mistake since that puts it in competition with the oversaturated superhero market, and it falls pretty short in that light. It does have one hilarious line I remember though, but it was totally unintentional, along the lines of "You've done awful things, but that doesn't make you an awful person."

War For The Planet Of The Apes. Was hoping to see this in theaters but never got the time to when it was out. Not much to say other than that it was another great entry in a great series, though I personally liked Dawn a bit more. It makes me glad that this series has done pretty well because it shows there's still a way for the more serious and thoughtful scifi movies to do well, though I guess it helped that it's part of one of the most famous scifi IPs around.

Finally I also saw Looper. I honestly found it a bit predictable, but it was definitely one of the better scifi movies I've seen. It's also nice to see Bruce Willis in a relatively recent role where it looks like he actually gives a shit.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: December 10, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
I was clearing up some space on my PVR.

Annie Hall (1977):  This critically acclaimed romantic comedy won four Academy Awards (including beating Star Wars for Best Picture).  I think these accolades undeserved.  The characters were unlikeable, the relationship uninteresting, and the plot practically nonexistent.
The overall effect was that of a badly-paced, overlength Seinfeld episode, with most of the comedy edited out.  Allen's one-liners consistently failed to amuse; although he tries to present himself as an intellectual, he comes across as more pretentious than anything else.  (There's more insight into the human condition in the opening narration of a certain Monogatari episode than in this whole movie).
Perhaps if I stretch it, I could try to appreciate this as some sort of self-parody (a movie that mocks pretentiousness).  But given how tedious it was as a whole, I think that would be giving it too much credit.
The breaking of the fourth wall was an interesting device, and admittedly done effectively here...and perhaps if I wasn't so horribly bored I might have appreciated it better.

The H-Man (1958): This is a Japanese monster film by the same production team as Godzilla.  H-bomb testing creates a liquid monster which consumes people, leaving nothing behind but their clothes  (it occasionally assumes vaguely humanoid form, hence the "-Man").  Although there are some creepy moments, this isn't at the same level as Godzilla, and doesn't offer enough to make it recommendable.  However, it easily outclasses Annie Hall for entertainment value.