Author Topic: Things you can't bear in a JRPG

Der Jermeister

• PikaBluth
    • View Profile
Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
I think any text should be skippable as well, particularly for players such as I who would rather read the dialogue than listen to every voiced line completely.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
Trying to picture a deaf person attempting to lip-read a video game character made me laugh, then made me annoyed.  Subtitles/CC should be in everything.

Mostly deaf gamer here. I can enjoy some music but I cannot understand speech without lipreading. Sorry, graphics are not THAT good yet. I note that battles often have characters shouting stuff too but itís never captioned (guess it would get too distracting). I guess I am not missing too much though, especially when itís Xenoblade or Star Ocean...

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
And this is not even getting into those cutscenes where a narrator is speaking over a montage and his/her words aren't subtitled.  Even worse is when the narrator's voice is mixed too low and I hear the montage's sound effects more than the narrator. 

In other words, subtitles are good for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:17:09 PM by Dincrest »
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
Looking at you Persona....

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
I fucking hate random battles and I think they should remain in the past where they belong.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
I'm okay with random battles, since they make it easier to grind if need be.  (I'm not a fan of excessive grinding, but sometimes you have to.)  However, being thrust into a battle every 3 seconds is excessive so the encounter rate needs to be balanced.  Wild Arms 2 had a nice mechanic where, if you were about to go into an encounter with lowbie enemies, an exclamation mark would appear over the avatar's head and you could press a button to avoid it. 

And let me tell you, Lufia: Ruins of Lore had visible encounters and made me wish for random encounters instead because it was done in the most maddening way possible.  This RPGFan review says it better than I could: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/lufia_rol/index2.html

Even straightforward, basic RPG action is terrible in LROL. The game sports a very basic overworld approach, in which all enemies are visible at all times and, theoretically, avoidable. In reality it isn't so cut and dry. Whenever you move, the monsters on the map move as well, except they seem to know where you are going. Have you ever played hide and go seek with someone who knows exactly where all the hiding spots are? You will with LROL; the enemies cheat all over the place. Combine this with the fact that some enemies can move 2 spaces for every 1 you take, and that they re-spawn when you leave the area and return, and you have an exercise in frustration.

"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

Der Jermeister

• PikaBluth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:13 PM »
There are other RPGs with visible encounters that do them somewhat poorly, like Grandia and the SaGa games, where enemies charge you regardless of strength.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
How about games where they have  visible encounters, but the enemies are so fast that you practically have to be near the end of the area to escape them.

edit:  If you escape the battle  the enemy just blinks for a very short bit, and then attack you again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:48:54 PM by Chronix112 »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »
There are other RPGs with visible encounters that do them somewhat poorly, like Grandia

I had tried to play Grandia for the first time this past year, and ended up quitting about halfway through, because I couldn't stand that the bullshit camera angle makes it so that enemies can see you well before you see them.
Nothing like getting jumped regularly in just about any given dungeon...

How about games where they have  visible encounters, but the enemies are so fast that you practically have to be near the end of the area to escape them.

I immediately thought of those damn flies in the White Dragon's Cave in the Lunar Remake. Why even make enemy encounters visible if they came move like that?
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »
And let me tell you, Lufia: Ruins of Lore had visible encounters and made me wish for random encounters instead because it was done in the most maddening way possible.  This RPGFan review says it better than I could: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/lufia_rol/index2.html

Even straightforward, basic RPG action is terrible in LROL. The game sports a very basic overworld approach, in which all enemies are visible at all times and, theoretically, avoidable. In reality it isn't so cut and dry. Whenever you move, the monsters on the map move as well, except they seem to know where you are going. Have you ever played hide and go seek with someone who knows exactly where all the hiding spots are? You will with LROL; the enemies cheat all over the place. Combine this with the fact that some enemies can move 2 spaces for every 1 you take, and that they re-spawn when you leave the area and return, and you have an exercise in frustration.

Ruins of Lore is such a terrible game that I could be here all day picking it apart, but I'll limit myself to commenting on how similar the gameplay engine was to Lufia 2's, and how amazing it was to see it completely miss the mark (its amazing at how much jank and bugs both games had but RoL was almost completely unplayable, versus Lufia 2's *insert Grazte Empire here* and other minor afronts).

That said, my contribution to the discussion of onscreen rando encounts was the DQVII 3DS remake from 2016. High enemy density clogging narrow hallways made the change from pure Random Hajile almost completely pointless (the only real benefit was controlling at least one enemy you fought per encounter to make grinding for Monster Hearts or the Monster Park easier).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
Fuck you guys, I liked Ruins of Lore. It was buggy as hell but the music was great.

TASTY!

PandoraWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

edit:  If you escape the battle  the enemy just blinks for a very short bit, and then attack you again.

I've just purchased Chrono Cross on Vita, and although it's a great game, I always hated the battle system because visible enemies feel like random encounters and there's no rewards (experience, etc) from fighting, so it's just repetitive in vain.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »
Pet Peeves

1) Very slow starts where you can go several hours before getting any action at all. Looking at you, persona series

2) excessive grind - e.g. - Tales of Beseria where I want skip fights because there reward is low and theres SO MANY of them. At least there are no random battles so I often can skip them.

3) tedious crafting/upgrade system. Sigh, once again Tales of Beseria.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:07:07 PM by bigdeath »

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
Agreed on the crafting system employed in Berseria.  It was the weakest aspect of the game.  I think the entire loot system in that game was flawed.  I think with some serious revisions, it could be better, but not as it was presented in the game.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 12:41:52 AM »
3) tedious crafting/upgrade system. Sigh, once again Tales of Beseria.

I love Star Ocean 3, but jeez that crafting system is a huge pain in the ass.