Author Topic: Ys VIII

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Ys VIII
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
No, it is pretty bad. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/g6f8y

From that page...

That's not even mentioning the fact there is no space after the ellipsis.

OK, so I'm a native English speaker and I have literally never even heard of putting a space after an ellipsis.  I thought maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years so I did a little research, and indeed there are some people who put spaces before or after an ellipsis but that's not a more correct usage.  It's purely a style thing.  And the Chicago Manual of Style--one of the most widely used and respected style guides in the US--says no spaces.

I won't comment on the rest of that page but when you see things like this it really feels like they're grasping at straws for stuff to complain about...

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
Yep, probably a lot of out-of-context cherry picking by people who feel like NISA stole the game from XSeed.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:51 PM »
I feel like you guys are being fanboys or something...
The ellipses is the smallest thing on that whole page and you stuck to it? Really?

The sentence structure is a direct conversion from Japanese to English...
Localization is more than a machine translation. Some of those examples are direct kanji to English as per a dictionary. I'm about as knowledgeable as a primary schooler in written Japanese and even I can see it.
The sentence themselves follow the Japanese order instead of being rewritten into something easily understandable in English.

I mean, look at this word salad:

You can read it over and over and it still doesn't mean anything.

Also, the links there are to show that apparently half the description of food items have been applied to the wrong item.
Meaning there's a 50% chance that food consumables do something different than what is written.
There is no world where that is acceptable.

NISA has an history of putting the bare bottom effort into their localization and frankly, I don't understand why a company shouldn't catch shit for cutting corner. If they don't, they'll just keep cutting more of them. I'm glad that this blew over and that NISA has to do damage control. You should be too.

Der Jermeister

• Taking a Breath of the Wild
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
I remember calling NISA a few years ago about a game I had ordered, and it seemed they were staffed by people for whom English obviously wasn't a first language. Sort of explains things.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
I feel like you guys are being fanboys or something...
The ellipses is the smallest thing on that whole page and you stuck to it? Really?

A fanboy accusation?  Seriously?   I don't even like NISA...

I commented on the ellipsis thing because it stuck out to me.  It's simply not a valid criticism, so why does whoever made that page even complain about it (twice no less...)?

As far as the sentence structure goes, it looks perfectly valid to me.  Without the ellipsis it reads, "This is a trap that's used by Romun troops."  What is the problem with that?  I really don't see a single issue there.  So I can only guess that whoever wrote that doesn't like where the ellipsis is, but that has nothing to do with sentence structure.  It's an ellipsis to indicate a pause in spoken dialogue, and you can put those basically anywhere so long as that's where you want the pause to be.

I am not claiming that there aren't issues.  Obviously there are issues if NISA is releasing a patch.  But that page you linked to is doing a really bad job of presenting them...

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
I've been messing with the game for a week now, and honestly the translation is garbage. The script is so fucking....idk...trashy is a good start. I'm not pleased with it by any means. Hopefully they'll redo it well, may just leave it on the backburner till then. Otherwise, game is pretty fun. Flash guard and evade are awesome, though the evade has me a little miffed at times with the small window and the random special attack being stuck in its animation for ages before you can actually try to evade. The combat is really fast paced which I love, though the large enemies always seem to bring things to an immediate halt. I also really hate when developers make an enemy that you can attack and "kill" but it doesn't actually die for whatever reason and comes back to kick your ass again. Found 3 so far and I just hit chapter 3 I think. A little bit annoyed about it, especially since 1 of them was a pretty long fight to drop him. If you don't want us to fight and kill it, make it invincible!

TASTY!

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
Well since I've seen the translations for the Danganronpa series those are pretty good but how is the translation for the Disgaea series. I have only played parts of it not the whole series. I will say though at least NISA is addressing the issue looks like I won't be playing Ys VIII until the end of November now.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2017, 05:38:29 PM »
I haven't played every Disgaea game, but the titles I did play had pretty lively localisations. Even is some of the jokes are lame or references outdated, it's obvious someone put effort into those. Ys VIII, by comparison, feels like one of those rushed simulcast anime subs. It sticks uncomfortably close to the Japanese lines and there are just too many mistakes. NISA has definitely delivered better localisations, but it seems like their overal quality is on the decline. I guess we should be glad Ys VIII functions well on a technical level. NISA seems to release a game with a game breaking bug every other year or so...

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
I guess we should be glad Ys VIII functions well on a technical level. NISA seems to release a game with a game breaking bug every other year or so...
Unless you are pc gamer where the port went so bad they they still have not released the game, and have had their lips sealed about the port since it was delayed.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Disgaea is NIS's flagship series so NISA always seems to put a lot more effort into it than they do for their third-party localizations.

Remember Ar Tonelico 2...

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Disgaea is NIS's flagship series so NISA always seems to put a lot more effort into it than they do for their third-party localizations.

Or Atelier Shalie... or Mugen Souls Z...
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »
Well since I've seen the translations for the Danganronpa series those are pretty good but how is the translation for the Disgaea series. I have only played parts of it not the whole series. I will say though at least NISA is addressing the issue looks like I won't be playing Ys VIII until the end of November now.
This is actually what pisses me off about the sloppy localization of Ys VIII.  The Danganrompa games were all localized skillfully.  Seriously, NISA did a good job on all three games and there is little in the way of awkward dialogue of poorly written sentence structure.  The same can't be said of Ys VIII.  It's like they put in the B Team to translate the game.

On the other hand, I've had direct dealings in the past with NISA where I had issues with an order.  They went out of their way to fix the problem I had and treated me right.  If they're acknowledging that their efforts were flawed, then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until after I see the patch.  I think they'll make good on their mistakes.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:21 AM »

Well... There's Disgaea D2's fire spell bug. Basically, the first time of using a fire spell gave like a 99% chance of freezing the game. Something about the animations not loading correctly. Took them like a month to patch.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »

Well... There's Disgaea D2's fire spell bug. Basically, the first time of using a fire spell gave like a 99% chance of freezing the game. Something about the animations not loading correctly. Took them like a month to patch.

AT2 text overflow on the optional boss crashing the game.
Never got fixed.

You either have to abuse a bug to win that fight in one turn or play on an emulator because someone released a fix for the rom.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
I'm surprised anyone looked at those translation issues and came away concentrating on the ellipses.  That was horrible.

Also, for the record, it's more that the ellipses were there at all that was the issue, not that there wasn't a space after them... which is totally preferable for better readability, btw.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons