Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 05:39:35 PM »
Obligatory "we have a front page" post: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2018/8080.html

In all seriousness, I'm curious as to how they'll handle the updating of Grandia.  That game is old enough to drink and definitely needs some serious shine and polish.  I also wonder if they'll redub the English voices and freshen up the localization. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Last post by Der Jermeister on Today at 05:32:17 PM »
Cool, I'll probably get these.
Single-Player RPGs / Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Last post by Lard on Today at 05:21:47 PM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/08/grandia-grandia-ii-hd-remaster-announced-for-switch-grandia-hd-remaster-announced-for-pc

They said "this winter" so who knows when that is and when the NA release date will be.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 04:49:58 PM »
Cold Steel 2
OK, so I was really irritated on Friday because of some issues in my neighborhood and that made me forget that there actually are accessories that protect from Vanish.  Whoops.  So I just changed some accessories, tried the final final boss again, and obliterated it.  Whew.

Worth it, too, because.... man... that ending.  I definitely shed a tear.  Well done, Falcom.  Well done.  I spent 200+ hours with this cast of characters.  I'll miss them very much.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Demo)
Everyone just needs to play this demo now.  If you enjoyed VC1 at all, take an 60-90 minutes to try this demo out and see all it has to offer.  This game, man.  This game.

Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat
I've played this for 17 whole minutes and I LOVE it!  Just giddy to be playing FFVII again after so many years!
The first change I really noticed, besides the increased difficulty, is that each playable character has an "Innate" ability that helps to differentiate them from each other.  This is an extremely welcome addition.  Cloud's gives him a big boost to STR and MAG when anyone uses a Limit Break.  Barret's stacks boosts to his stats when he gets hit with an attack.  These boosts are dependent on what row he is in: boosts to STR when in the front, boosts to DEF when in the back.  This increased specialization means party-building and character customization is going to be even more fun!

Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy
Started this on a whim because Wife has been monopolizing Steam with marathon sessions of Stardew Valley and I don't want to start a really long RPG when Dragon Quest XI comes out in 15 days.
This... this is pretty cool!  I'm surprised just how much story is in only one episode.  Lots of fun.  I ended up making all the most popular story decisions.  That surprised me.  Favorite Drax joke so far:
PQ: "Man, slowest elevator in the universe."
Drax: "You cannot possibly know that!"
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 03:44:36 PM »
But the final boss is never really the final boss in any Pokemon game.  You have the robust post game which is usually quite challenging, so actually using the "uber boss reward" from the main game is feasible. 
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 02:46:07 PM »
And this is more of a specific annoyance than anything else, but I feel like in newer Pokemon games (e.g. X/Y, Sun/Moon) the Legendaries were total gimmes and, frankly, kinda weak compared to many garden variety Pokemon in my roster.  I would like to see a return of is having to rise to some kind of challenge to get the Legendaries.  If I have to work for my Legendaries, I'll value them more.
I take it you want the catch rates for the mascot legendaries raised up? They have been made considerably easier to get since Generation V.Taking the Sun and Moon ones as examples they both have the same catch rates as Oricoros.

I think you read me backwards.  I want Legendaries to be more challenging to catch than they have been lately.  Either with low catch rates or have some kind of grueling sidequest to get them.  Make me work for it. 

And then take a page from what folks have been saying about uber-bosses; make the reward (in this case the capture of the Legendary) worth the effort.  Superweapon Legendaries like Mew and Mewtwo are so worth the effort to get them because they're so powerful.  I don't like that the Legendaries in X/Y and Sun/Moon were total gimmes and weren't that great.  Yveltal and Solgaleo were pathetic.  I had garden variety Pokemon that were way better. 

And for more wishful thinking, I would like to see a future Pokemon installment go back to the jerk/bully rival.  Gary being an entitled "daddy's little rich boy" douchebag or Silver being a straight up criminal made encounters with them feel kinda "dangerous" and I wanted to strike them down.  Lately, the rivals have all been nice and friendly, and I almost felt bad trouncing them.

Yes. Lets make Legendaries so strong and hard to get that they become the most difficult challenge/most powerful Pokemon in the game again, just like R/B/Y's Mew~

Although not a pet peeve or anything remotely detestable, I sometimes question the logic of rewards given after optional super-boss battles. 

For example, defeating Ragu Ragla in Wild ARMs gives you the Sherriff's Star. It's not a bad prize prize as equipping it as an accessory negates all status effects.  However, do you really need it?  You already defeated the game's most powerful boss without it and the final boss will be a pushover in comparison.

~two....

« Last post by Der Jermeister on Today at 01:21:47 PM »
Speaking of catch rates in Pokemon, I'd like it if games eased up on elements of randomization. Say you have a 1/10 chance of getting a certain item or catching a Pokemon. Typically, each time you try to catch a Pokemon or kill an enemy for want of an item, your chance each time is still 1/10, and doesn't get any better. RPGs could implement a type of counter system that activates, for instance, on your tenth kill of a specific enemy or attempt to catch a Pokemon if your prior attempts have been unsuccessful, where you're guaranteed a catch or item, in which case the counter resets.
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 09:26:10 AM »
And this is more of a specific annoyance than anything else, but I feel like in newer Pokemon games (e.g. X/Y, Sun/Moon) the Legendaries were total gimmes and, frankly, kinda weak compared to many garden variety Pokemon in my roster.  I would like to see a return of is having to rise to some kind of challenge to get the Legendaries.  If I have to work for my Legendaries, I'll value them more.
I take it you want the catch rates for the mascot legendaries raised up? They have been made considerably easier to get since Generation V.Taking the Sun and Moon ones as examples they both have the same catch rates as Oricoros.

I think you read me backwards.  I want Legendaries to be more challenging to catch than they have been lately.  Either with low catch rates or have some kind of grueling sidequest to get them.  Make me work for it. 

And then take a page from what folks have been saying about uber-bosses; make the reward (in this case the capture of the Legendary) worth the effort.  Superweapon Legendaries like Mew and Mewtwo are so worth the effort to get them because they're so powerful.  I don't like that the Legendaries in X/Y and Sun/Moon were total gimmes and weren't that great.  Yveltal and Solgaleo were pathetic.  I had garden variety Pokemon that were way better. 

And for more wishful thinking, I would like to see a future Pokemon installment go back to the jerk/bully rival.  Gary being an entitled "daddy's little rich boy" douchebag or Silver being a straight up criminal made encounters with them feel kinda "dangerous" and I wanted to strike them down.  Lately, the rivals have all been nice and friendly, and I almost felt bad trouncing them. 
« Last post by Greganox on Yesterday at 11:59:34 PM »

General Discussions / Re: Whats the haps?
« Last post by Dincrest on Yesterday at 08:11:23 PM »
When a cousin of mine was visiting recently, he regaled me with many funny stories about an elder uncle we have who is notorious for his malapropisms.  One story that the entire family gets a kick out of was when this uncle first came to the US as a young man.  He was attempting to flirt with a lady and said that she looked like a parrot. 

A little context.  See, in India back then (and I think even now), the aquiline nose (sometimes colloquially referred to as a "Roman nose" or somewhat derogatorily "hawk nose") was the most desirable beauty feature.  However, that's not the case in the US at all.  So uncle's attempt to flatter a desirable American woman on her aquiline nose and colorful outfit in a very flowery manner totally backfired and was 100% lost in translation. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10