Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again.
Seiken Densetsu 3 feels kinda sexist to me, since overall, the 3 guys are much better than the three girls.

I'm not just saying that, because I played the game twice (once 3 girls, once 3 guys) and my 3 guys playthrough was much easier.
You could probably solo the game with Kevin or Duran which none of the girls could ever do.
I've beaten SD3 seven or eight times.  It's one of my favorite games ever.  I think that Lise is better than Duran, because her skills add so much more utility than his do, and if you want her to go full-offense like Duran's Dark classes, Lise's Vanadis is about as good (or better) than Swordmaster or Duelist.  Her dark classes are about even with Duran's light classes, but I like stat-downs more than Heal Light because the only ways to get stat-downs in the entire game are skills from Lise, Hawk, or Carlie, while there are dozens of items and spells for healing.  Also: Carlie is the best support character in the game and it's NOT close.  If Carlie is on your team, you can have your other two characters go full offense, which is extremely useful.  Angela is right down there with Duran as one of the worst two characters, though, especially since she's bad in the first 2/3 of the game before she gets useful spells.  

...but Kevin and Hawk are so much stronger on physical offense than the other four for the majority of the game that it's not an argument worth having.  Kevin = Hawk > Carlie > Lise > Duran = Angela.  Whatever.  I liked my 3 girls playthrough MORE than my 3 guys playthrough, but that's because I planned my classes ahead of time (Vanadis, Grand Devina, Evil Shaman) to a specific end (Demon Breath, Divina's Rank 2 spells, Vanadis' Light Shot Spear and stat-ups).  Yes, the men are mostly stronger than the women in SD3, but no, two playthroughs is not a good sample.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:37:25 AM by Monsoon »

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »
Also, I wanted to suggest that we eventually play through a co-op RPG. That could be really fun on the show, yeah?

Can we have a 3v3 race with Secret of Mana? :D

The only know way to play SoM with 3 people is in the same room. The way your thinking of doing it, which I won't outright say, only supports 2 players. :(

If we could though...I would totally win, just saying!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:29:37 AM by ScottC »

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »
Also, I wanted to suggest that we eventually play through a co-op RPG. That could be really fun on the show, yeah?

Can we have a 3v3 race with Secret of Mana? :D

The only know way to play SoM with 3 people is in the same room. The way your thinking of doing it, which I won't outright say, only supports 2 players. :(

If we could though...I would totally win, just saying!

I dunno, I can stack them Magic attacks like no one's business. ;)

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »
Assuming time allows for it, I'll probably also join in in playing along with the podcast. Depending on how far you get by the 2nd episode, I'll take note since it's been some time since I let the game lie fallow. Really looking forward to playing it though.

Totally, and if you need to use a game guide or whatever to help speed the process, there's no shame in that either. I occasionally check on gamefaqs in regards to Bracer points, not so much story/battles/etc.. ;)

If I recommend anything, however, is take the time to talk to everyone and see how wacky things really are in this game. ;)

I started playing the game in May of 2013, and I couldn't remember where I left off, so I checked and I am 31 hours in near the end of Chapter 3, I think, so i think I've got a decent buffer at least until the next episode. Haha right now I need to focus on Ar Nosurge!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2015, 02:06:30 AM »
Seiken Densetsu 3 feels kinda sexist to me, since overall, the 3 guys are much better than the three girls.

I'm not just saying that, because I played the game twice (once 3 girls, once 3 guys) and my 3 guys playthrough was much easier.
You could probably solo the game with Kevin or Duran which none of the girls could ever do.
I've beaten SD3 seven or eight times.  It's one of my favorite games ever.  I think that Lise is better than Duran, because her skills add so much more utility than his do, and if you want her to go full-offense like Duran's Dark classes, Lise's Vanadis is about as good (or better) than Swordmaster or Duelist.  Her dark classes are about even with Duran's light classes, but I like stat-downs more than Heal Light because the only ways to get stat-downs in the entire game are skills from Lise, Hawk, or Carlie, while there are dozens of items and spells for healing.  Also: Carlie is the best support character in the game and it's NOT close.  If Carlie is on your team, you can have your other two characters go full offense, which is extremely useful.  Angela is right down there with Duran as one of the worst two characters, though, especially since she's bad in the first 2/3 of the game before she gets useful spells.  

...but Kevin and Hawk are so much stronger on physical offense than the other four for the majority of the game that it's not an argument worth having.  Kevin = Hawk > Carlie > Lise > Duran = Angela.  Whatever.  I liked my 3 girls playthrough MORE than my 3 guys playthrough, but that's because I planned my classes ahead of time (Vanadis, Grand Devina, Evil Shaman) to a specific end (Demon Breath, Divina's Rank 2 spells, Vanadis' Light Shot Spear and stat-ups).  Yes, the men are mostly stronger than the women in SD3, but no, two playthroughs is not a good sample.  

I feel that Kevin still edges out Hawk in terms of damage since he's pretty much guaranteed a good power attack and takes less time to start up (you only need to buy a shitload of Dreamsee Herbs). Hawk doesn't quite have the durability that Kevin does and he needs to Class Change to get to his debuffs. Duran's just slow as hell and should be a tank or stopgap healer, full stop. Lize(Rise/Lisse/Lize/Risze?) is the definition of mediocre as she only has decent damage output until promotion then either gets buffs or debuffs (and if Hawk's around, really?) and then has to choose between mutlitarget buffs/debuffs or wasting her 2nd tier promotion (at least her durability's pretty good with all that Agility, Vitality and Wisdom plus Def/Mind Ups or Str/Int Downs, possibly even better than Duran's). Carlie's all about Healing and Angela takes forever to do anything but can nuke the pants off of a shitload of enemies (right up until she runs out of MP, then her tissue durability will let her get killed while an Angel's Grail will fully recharge her HP/MP) with the proper element, Deathspell, Ancient or Rainbow Dust.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I'm right at the end of FFX-2 and now I have to switch to Trails FC.  *sigh* LML (love my life). :P

100% serious: Trails FC was going to be my next RPG after X-2 anyways.  I should be able to juggle both, but since this is a game I can join in on a) I will, and b) I'll have to bump this new podcast to have precedence over my others.  How dare you guys make something so irresistible?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »

I feel that Kevin still edges out Hawk in terms of damage since he's pretty much guaranteed a good power attack and takes less time to start up (you only need to buy a shitload of Dreamsee Herbs). Hawk doesn't quite have the durability that Kevin does and he needs to Class Change to get to his debuffs. Duran's just slow as hell and should be a tank or stopgap healer, full stop. Lize(Rise/Lisse/Lize/Risze?) is the definition of mediocre as she only has decent damage output untile promotion then either gets buffs or debuffs (and if Hawk's around, really?) and then has to choose between mutlitarget buffs/debuffs or wasting her 2nd tier promotion (at least her durability's pretty good with all that Agility, Vitality and Wisdom plus Def/Mind Ups or Str/Int Downs, possibly even better than Duran's). Carlie's all about Healing and Angela takes forever to do anything but can nuke the pants off of a shitload of enemies (right up until she runs out of MP, then her tissue durability will let her get killed while an Angel's Grail will fully recharge her HP/MP) with the proper element, Deathspell, Ancient or Rainbow Dust.
Not disagreeing with any part of your assessment, but I stand by my mini-ranking. Hawk isn't as good as Kevin on offense, but his large number of useful skills in all his classes makes him around even. Carlie is high ranked because she has useful support skills and your healing problems are over if you pick her. Angela's later classes are good, but she's awful in the early game. I actually like her light classes slightly better for MT level 2 spells in the last few dungeons. You're right on about Lise (sometimes Riesz?) and Duran.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
Alright, so I just finished listening to the episode and it was VERY VERY GOOD!  I loved the inclusion of the background music especially.  I'll be picking Trails FC back up.  I don't know if I heard you guys mention it in the show, but I think you said in the forums that you're playing up to the Chapter 3 title for the next episode?  If you didn't mention it in the show, that is probably something that should be included in all future episodes.  Either way, until I hear otherwise, Chapter 3 will be my target.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jean Of mArc

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome to the forums!

After having listened to the first episode of the podcast, and having played the first little while of the game, here are my impressions so far:

- There's a lot more dialogue than I was expecting. It's well-written, but I occasionally find myself speed-reading it so that I can get through the game faster. I usually don't like to speed-read dialogue.
- The music is certainly notable. It's not Square-Enix level stuff, but it's definitely better than average. I also like that its battle theme is surprisingly plucky and fun; it's a nice change from the usual battle music tropes.
- Although the characters are tropey so far, I'm completely OK with that, as I haven't played enough JRPGs in my life for it to bore me.
- I like that the dungeons have a few more things to do in them than just wander around, fight things, fight the boss. An example is in the mines when you pull levers, talk to workers, and ride mine carts. It's nothing completely original, but I do like it when a dungeon feels like a place that matches its environment rather than just hallways with different skins. The design also lends itself to what kind of place it is, which is nice.
- I also like that there are story elements that happen within the dungeons themselves. I hate it in a game when entering a dungeon means suspending the story until you've exited the other side (except in games like Zelda where the dungeons are so good it doesn't matter).
- The battle engine in this game is pretty good. I like that location of your characters matters, as it would in an SRPG, and that the characters feel like it is equally valid to use attacks, spells, or special moves at any point.
- The graphics are nice and vibrant, but don't have a ton of personality to them. I'm not really a fan of pre-rendered CG sprites in a 3D world either, as all the characters and monsters are.
- I'm kind of wondering when the actual plot of the game will be revealed. So far, it feels like we're just meeting characters and running mission errands, but the plot hasn't really begun. Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled by Final Fantasy games, like IX, which immediately have a draw-you-in plot from the first scenes. Then again, I can appreciate that they are trying to get you familiar with the world and characters before the main conflicts begin (I assume there is conflict at some point?)

So yeah, those are my rambling thoughts. Overall I like it, but like some of the people on the podcast, I think I'd need a bit more time before the game would actually become memorable to me.

As for the episode itself, it was pretty cool for me to hear other people's thoughts on the parts of the game I was JUST playing. I usually play JRPGs alone, as my wife isn't a big gamer, my son is too young (3 months), and most of my friends don't play these kinds of games anymore. It's nice for me to hear other people talking about the same thing and having an open discussion about its design and flow so far, rather than reading another review that looks at it from the ending point. Putting in the background music was a nice touch too. And thanks for inviting thoughts from the crowd!

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
Seems everyone is into TitS now. I guess I'll stick around for a while too, but I probably won't be able to keep up, since this does not feel like the best title to remedy RPG-lethargy. I'm somewhere at Bose now, trying to get through chapter 1 for now at least.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
One little detail that I thought stood out was the fact that pretty much all the chests have different lines to read after you've opened them.

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
One little detail that I thought stood out was the fact that pretty much all the chests have different lines to read after you've opened them.

We mentioned that offhand during the podcast. It's one of those little localization touches that Trails is full of. :)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
- I like that the dungeons have a few more things to do in them than just wander around, fight things, fight the boss. An example is in the mines when you pull levers, talk to workers, and ride mine carts. It's nothing completely original, but I do like it when a dungeon feels like a place that matches its environment rather than just hallways with different skins. The design also lends itself to what kind of place it is, which is nice.
- I also like that there are story elements that happen within the dungeons themselves. I hate it in a game when entering a dungeon means suspending the story until you've exited the other side (except in games like Zelda where the dungeons are so good it doesn't matter).
Some mighty fine analysis here.  I think Trails FC excels in both areas.  I especially like, as you said, how the characters interact in the dungeon, as well as react to the dungeon itself.  having the characters talk openly about what they're doing and how they feel about it, not just in the larger scheme but even from moment-to-moment, makes the world really feel alive.  And, of course, it helps draw you closer to the characters.  Joshua may come about as interesting as wallpaper paste for now (I am a dude so maybe he's just not written for me?) but it didn't take very long at all for me to genuinely care about Estelle, as if she were real.

As for the episode itself, it was pretty cool for me to hear other people's thoughts on the parts of the game I was JUST playing. I usually play JRPGs alone, as my wife isn't a big gamer, my son is too young (3 months), and most of my friends don't play these kinds of games anymore. It's nice for me to hear other people talking about the same thing and having an open discussion about its design and flow so far, rather than reading another review that looks at it from the ending point.
I am in this exact situation myself (minus the newborn child).  Looks like Retro Encounter is the perfect cure for what ails us.

DaviKaze

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
About Joshua, if you pay close attention you can catch a lot of interesting foreshadowing as early as Perzel farms.  There's more to the character than what's presented at face value.  At the same time, this can make Estelle seem more interesting by comparison, since she's very open about her (often ridiculous) train of thought.

My first time throught I picked up a few leads on Joshua early on, and puzzling him out was my primary motivator for playing the game.
Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
^ Fair enough.  Now that you mention it, I still have a lot of obvious, unanswered questions about Joshua.  I think I have just been through a large chunk of game where none of the questions are addressed or even called to mind, so I kinda forgot about them.  Plus, you know, who cares about Joshua once Olivier shows up?  That guy is a paragon of interesting-ness....... >_____>