Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:26:24 AM »
The Shenmue OST really is amazing.  I say that as someone who has never played Shenmue.
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 10:52:28 AM »
I dare to blaspheme!

ShenMue was a gorgeous game with incredible music and some nifty ideas, but I felt like I spent the majority of that game just idling my time away.  And even then, nothing much really happened plotwise.  It felt like having an entire loaf of bread, but only 1 shmeer of peanut butter to use for all 12 slices.  ShenMue was an overhyped waste of time and money for me.  Great tech demo, sorry excuse for a game.  To me, it just felt like Yu Suzuki got too carried away with realism, and somehow forgot that everyday "real" life isnít always fun and can be a slog. 

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/11/15

Still, I'd say at least 90% of the pet peeves in this thread can be looked at on a case to case basis.  Although I dislike breakable weapons, there were games where I didn't mind and/or actually liked that mechanic.  In the random vs visible encounters debate, there are games that did visible encounters horribly wrong and I would have preferred random.  I'm not a fan of excessive grinding, but there have been games where I was okay with it.  And there are those annoyances that are specific to a particular game that would be a non-factor in others.  Conversely, there are cases like Legend of Dragoon that had a laundry list of flaws that would normally be dealbreakers for me, but I rather enjoyed that game. 

I think the only pet peeve I have that remains universal is "small text fonts with no menu option to make them bigger."  There is no getting around it, that is something that I dislike in all cases. 
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 10:37:20 AM »
Grandia II Anniversary Edition seemed to be a decent enough port for PC: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Grandia_II_Anniversary_Edition/index.html

I'm still curious as to how they'll gussy up Grandia 1. 

And, yes, Phantasy Star with auto-mapping is a win.  Those of us old enough to have played the original back in the day are certainly aware of having used copious amounts of graph paper to map out dungeons. 
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on Today at 10:04:26 AM »
I hope they do a better job of porting Grandia 2 to the Switch than the PS2 port job was.

Edit: But the real news of the day is the Sega Ages port of Phantasy Star 1. Automapping ftw.

Is this the PS2 remake or just a gussied up port of the original?

having bothered to actually read the link, I am disappoint.

I'm not. All I wanted was the original with more explanations and automapping. Which this has, plus other bonus features. If it ever gets localized, I'd get it in a heartbeat and marathon that sucker.

As for Grandia 1 & 2, I'll definitely get the Switch version at some point, whenever I get one of those. I have versions of both games, though, so I might wait for a sale.
« Last post by Rucks on Today at 09:42:06 AM »
I hope they do a better job of porting Grandia 2 to the Switch than the PS2 port job was.

Edit: But the real news of the day is the Sega Ages port of Phantasy Star 1. Automapping ftw.

Is this the PS2 remake or just a gussied up port of the original?

having bothered to actually read the link, I am disappoint.
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 09:22:36 AM »

« Last post by Rucks on Today at 09:05:34 AM »
nice!
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 07:26:46 AM »
But if a game is too realistic, it becomes dull and monotonous like ShenMue.

And speaking of Shenmue: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/shenmue-iii-launches-august-27-2019
« Last post by Dincrest on Today at 06:03:06 AM »
Gotta love JRPGs and their logic defying conundrums. 

I have an explosive magic spell that can crush mountains, yet I need to find a key to unlock a door in a rickety dungeon. 

The villain withstands my barrage of meteor spells yet is killed by a dagger (for plot purposes.) 

With a few exceptions (Tales of Destiny being one), JRPG houses don't have bathrooms/toilets. 

Animals carry cash. 

But if a game is too realistic, it becomes dull and monotonous like ShenMue.  Best thing about ShenMue was this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yNonPzOio
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 04:10:43 AM »
I was more down on the banner earlier, but then I pulled Brave Celica (+Spd/-Def) and Bector (+Atk/-Spd) in 55 Orbs. My biorhythm continues to oscillate. I'm not sure if I want yet another Axe Armor or currently the best Staff Mount for my freebie.

Brave Lyn was ridiculous entirely due to the fact that the game hadn't begun to powercreep to that extent until CYL1. Not only did she become our first Bow Knight back during the height of Horse Meta, but that the banner also debuted boosted BST, proficients with built in +3 stats, on top of an ability and character exclusive skills. This time the debut is only in regards to tier 4 skills despite some of the more overpowered prfs getting passed around. Granted tier 4 skills both suck and blow (watch Brave Celica fall off the desire meter in short order when other, less expensive options, start becoming available) as it continues to widen the gulf between budget options and the latest whale bait (while also diminishing older whale bait, albeit not nearly as bad). Also, DB4 costs 300 SP to learn from a base kit so 450 from inheritance, so 240 SP skills are going to climb up to 360 for base kit and 520 for inheritance (boy I hope you made good use of that SP glitch when it was available).

Anyways, Veronica's biggest issue isn't that she's amazing for a staff bot, but that she's amazing for a staffbot because Staffbots have been the most neglected weapon type in the game. Hell, there wasn't even a Prf staff prior to Loki and she's still unavailable, and prior to Maribelle and Nanna, the last Staffbot added was Genny who brought Wrathful Staff just to help begin to get staff users out of their launch hole (and the 5 star skills didn't even show up until months after the fact). Nevermind that we still haven't gotten a new Infantry Staffbot since her.

Sadly, Brave Celica went for another gimmicky Quad-build and doesn't have the stats to run it for the long term (see also: Olwen mk I) which sucks because she's the clear winner of the CYL2 redesign (and I'm so fucking glad she didn't get stuffed into Conrad's outfit). It also really blows that she doesn't have a good way to leverage her ludicrous Spd unlike Karla or Ayra (unless she can double up on Flashing Blade).

I want to see Ephraim's Special Fighter skill in action before I start throwing shade at it since it seems more like Quicken Pulse, et all where it only activates on the first turn of a given battle (so the HP conditional only becomes a concern in +_+s and CCs). Either way, he ended up as the Brave Roy of CYL redesigns this year.

Yes, they gave Hector Maltet instead of one of those other chump Lances. But considering how highly they consider Sol Katti over Murglis, I can see why they took this option. Legendary weapons. Accept no substitutes! The problem with Bector is the fact that we just got Lector on top of Vector a few months earlier so we're suffering from some serious Hector fatigue (which continues to call into question just why they felt the need to make Legendary versions of Ephraim and Hector considering the guaranteed Braves).

As for FE4 picks, I feel that Edain should be one (to go with Jamke, because otherwise why the hell use him for a GHeB instead of Brigid?) and then maybe Azelle, Erinys and Lewyn for color diversity (especially if they do a third Forging Bonds for that banner).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10