Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Ni No Kuni 2 Revenant Kingdom announced!
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on April 20, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »
Agreed on Goldpaw.  I also think Hydropolis is also particularly impressive.  I also like the Sky Pirates base.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Last post by MonCapitan2002 on April 20, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
I'm probably going to give this game a go around once I've dusted off Tales of Beseria and Whys VIII.
I have the game downloaded myself.  I plan to get into it once I clear my backlog.  My tentative plan is beat Ni No Kuni II and get the Plat.  Then play a shorter game, then tackle two of my back log games.
« Last post by Annubis on April 20, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
I'm probably going to give this game a go around once I've dusted off Tales of Beseria and Whys VIII.

Yeah... glad you did that edit. It was pretty tactless prior.
General Discussions / Re: Completion List 2018
« Last post by Arvis on April 20, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
1. Tales of Xillia 2

2. Trails of Cold Steel 1
Easily one of the Ten Best Games I Have Ever Played.

I'm not sure what more I can say beyond that.  At 125 hours, I've finished it without a guide, 4 points shy of max AP rank, and every single moment of it was pure RPG bliss.  Superlative story and world-building, great cast of characters, addictive customization and gameplay.  True the graphics and music weren't the best, but they didn't detract at all from the pure joy of playing this game.

Playing around with character builds really never got old.  And I still want to do more of it.  I love the addition of Master Quartz to the Trails formula.  While quartz setups weren't as strategic as the Sky trilogy's, they rewarded experimentation moreso and made each successful build feel intensely satisfying.  And unlike many other RPGs, using status effects is not only effective, but it's one of the best ways to go after most of the enemies in the game!  Even a lot of bosses!  That never got old either.

Even if there wasn't a sequel to this game, the cliffhanger ending still wouldn't lower my score.  By far the best RPG I have played in ages.  Honestly, I can't even think of the last time I played a better one.  I would even put this on equal footing with my all-time favorite Final Fantasies and above the Trails in the Sky games, despite that series having better writing and plot.  Some of the too-broad themes and anime tropes, as well as the low-budget feel, are honestly the only flaws in an otherwise perfect RPG, and when taking the game as a whole those are nitpicks.  All RPG Fans owe it to themselves to play this.

Final Score: 10/10

Up Next: Ni No Kuni 2
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Last post by Lian_Kazairl on April 20, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
The big guy you free from a cell is Sten. The old healer lady is Wynne. There wasn't a young healer lady, but there was a younger woman who is part of the church, Leliana (she's a rogue).

And the pirate, Isabela, is in both games, but she's only a party member in DAII.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Rook on April 20, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »
Even though I hate the 8-bit art style I've been playing a bit of 2064: Read only memories in between XBC2 because of our esteemed websites review. On chapter 4 and so far its one of the better written and acted VNs out there. I still hate the art style tho, it would have be an incredible game if they replaced the 1988 graphics with a 1988 anime look.
The Soundroom / Re: Good musicians in meh bands
« Last post by D-Rider on April 20, 2018, 12:18:46 AM »
One band comes to mind immediately.

I've always found Nightwish to be thoroughly mediocre, but Floor Jansen is a fantastic singer and I'm glad she's in a band that actually makes money these days.  Marco Hietala, their male vocalist/bassist is also mightily talented, and I enjoy his work OUTSIDE Nightwish quite a bit.
« Last post by Andrew on April 19, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".

Morrigan, Alister.... that, uh, big guy you free from a cell-thing... oh, and the dog! That's all I got.

Edit: Oh, and the old healer lady! (Was there also a young healer lady?)

I agree JRPG characters tend to be more memorable.

Don't forget about the Lesbian Pirate....or was she from DA2?

I didn't play DA2, but she could well be from DA:O and I don't remember her...
« Last post by Aeolus on April 19, 2018, 07:48:19 PM »
Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".

Morrigan, Alister.... that, uh, big guy you free from a cell-thing... oh, and the dog! That's all I got.

Edit: Oh, and the old healer lady! (Was there also a young healer lady?)

I agree JRPG characters tend to be more memorable.

Don't forget about the Lesbian Pirate....or was she from DA2?
« Last post by Aeolus on April 19, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10