Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Single-Player RPGs / Re: A JRPG About BOOBS!
« Last post by Grainofariver on Yesterday at 05:40:39 AM »
I think this:
Why bother localising Zero/Ao no Kiseki? We already have plenty of JRPGS.
Why bother making that Anthem game? We already have plenty of shooters.
Remember PT? Don't worry about it friend: you know how many horror games there are?
(Heck, why even bother making any video games when there's so dang many that most people have a backlog of things that they will never get to?)
is a straw man argument.  Was there anything said about apathy towards localizing anything?  Nope.  No nihilism here. 
As I said earlier, gratuitous sex and violence in video games will always be there.  So we get gaming news every so often that a few naughty games were toned down or denied localization.  Big deal.  There is plenty of unadulterated stuff out there to scratch whatever bizarre fetish itch you may have. 
Seems pretty apathetic to me friend.

In fact, looking at it now, I shouldn't have said, 'why bother localising/releasing', but 'who cares that X didn't get localised/released'.
The Soundroom / Re: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Basscappella
« Last post by ironmage on July 16, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
Here's the one I released this week, the Lost Woods theme from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Full version is here, and naked (no synth) version is here. Enjoy, let me know what you think and please subscribe.
In your "full" version, I hear no guitar at all, and your "naked" version sounded rather muddled.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but how about you start out by posting about what RPGs you enjoy, and what you're playing right now, or what kind of music you listen to (we've got threads for that), and maybe leave off posting links to your youtube channel for a bit.  Starting off your forum career by asking for subscriptions seems like bad faith.
The Soundroom / Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Basscappella
« Last post by ghaladen on July 16, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
Here's the one I released this week, the Lost Woods theme from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Full version is here, and naked (no synth) version is here. Enjoy, let me know what you think and please subscribe.

The Soundroom / Shining Force III - Balsamo Village - Basscappella
« Last post by ghaladen on July 16, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
First video I did, the Balsamo Village theme from Shining Force III. Full version is here, and naked (no synth) version is here. Enjoy, let me know what you think and please subscribe.

The Soundroom / Basscapella: New YouTube channel covering VGM on bass
« Last post by ghaladen on July 16, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
Title says it all, guys. I play bass, and (sometimes) use the help of a synth to cover video game tunes. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/ghaladen, and please subscribe if you like what you see. Full tunes are usually up on Fridays, and the corresponding Naked versions (without the synth, just straight bass tone) a week later. Thanks, and enjoy.

Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Arvis on July 16, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
..but...but...I highlighted the title in red.  It's not good for my ego if you all do the exact opposite of my recommendation. :-(

ROFL

Sorry man, didn't think anyone would even notice my post.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Octopath Traveler
« Last post by Arvis on July 16, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
I am waiting for it to be released on either the PS4 or PC.  I won't be buying a Switch just for this game no matter how appealing it is.

It's a Nintendo-published game so you'll be waiting a long time
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Octopath Traveler
« Last post by Aeolus on July 16, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
Another day, another chapter.

Cleared Ophilia's Chapter 2 twice (once to advance the story and again to see all the party skits; although I still need to see Alfin's take).

Things of note:

Found an old guy hopelessly lost in the river valley. Guided him back to his grandson, then immediately dragged him off to a side dungeon followed by the Chapter 2 River Town before letting him loose. I'm sure he'll find his way home just fine.

Beat up a giant moth.

Gave my thief a chemistry set.

Replaced the old man with an Archbishop. Who I then had to boot out of my party in favor of a snot nosed orphan, who ran off to the woods to feed himself and his friend to the wolves. Which led me back to the Archbishop to go into the woods with me (sadly I was not able to visually confirm if he shits in the woods or not).

For the second run, I bought a spooky Forbidden Staff for Ophilia. She was doing about 2k in damage to all enemies under a full boost before Break status. Peacock Dance and/or Break increased it to 3k.

Random dancing resulted in a fuckoff Golem punching a dire wolf in the face for 9999 damage.

(Edit: Corrected) Skits in order of appearance for Ophilia Chapter 2:

Cyrus > Alfyn > Primrose > Tressa > H'aanit > Therion > Olberic

If you don't want to beat the boss a second time, drag Therion and Olberic with you for your progress run.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Jimmy on July 16, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
I finished Bravely Second over the weekend. Here are my final thoughts: The story is good, and less repetitive than the first game's, but at the same time I'm not sure it was as strong as Bravely Default's. I did like how they incorporated the player more this time. The first game was pretty subtle about it, but this one was very overt. The battle system is still just as fun as the first game, but the job system has been downgraded somewhat. It's still fun, and you can develop some pretty powerful characters, but not as good as the first game. The change from 14 job levels to 11 also nerfed some of the old jobs slightly, which was disappointing. In the first game I had a dual-wielding, Dark Knight Tiz, who, with sword magic, could deal around 15,000 damage with a regular attack. I wasn't quite able to do that this time around, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. The new jobs were mostly disappointing, or simply rehashes of older jobs. I liked Guardian and Exorcist. Hawkeye was okay. Yokai was really just a higher-powered Black Mage because of the -ja spells, and Kaiser, while kind of cool, was very much a double-edged sword.

All in all, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Final jobs:

Yew was Yokai with Time Magic. I'm glad I went that route because Reraise was essential for the last boss fight.

Edea was a Valkyrie with Shamanism. This turned out okay, but the last boss had a dispel skill that kind of made it less useful. Jump is still great and Edea went mostly untouched damage-wise because of it. If I did it again I would probably swap Shamanism for Martial Arts to amp up her attack power somewhat.

Magnolia was a Guardian with Shamanism. Worked out well, but same problem as above with the dispel. I would swap Shamanism with the Dark Arts if I were to play it again because Guardian has high HP and the final boss is weak to dark attacks.

Finally, Tiz was a White Mage with Astral Magic. If I would have known about the dispel though I probably would have gone White Mage with Catmancy to increase his attack options, or possibly Exorcism because of the Tongues command.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: A JRPG About BOOBS!
« Last post by Dincrest on July 16, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
Back in bygone gaming eras, losing out on a particular game felt like a slap in the face, because how could I take my business elsewhere when elsewhere didn't exist?  The game industry, particularly the console industry, was more tightly controlled and smaller indie/art-house developers didn't have as many outlets (pretty much PC only.)  The idea of "how do you speak with your wallet if there's nothing to purchase" was absolutely true during earlier gaming generations, but nowadays it's a wide open market.  Or perhaps it's more difficult to speak with your wallet because there's too much out there available for purchase with more options emerging every day? 

I think this:
Why bother localising Zero/Ao no Kiseki? We already have plenty of JRPGS.
Why bother making that Anthem game? We already have plenty of shooters.
Remember PT? Don't worry about it friend: you know how many horror games there are?
(Heck, why even bother making any video games when there's so dang many that most people have a backlog of things that they will never get to?)
is a straw man argument.  Was there anything said about apathy towards localizing anything?  Nope.  No nihilism here.  Merely that just because one game didn't get localized doesn't mean ALL games in its cohort won't.  Several are already available and more are in the works, from companies of all shapes and sizes.  Just because one game got a hack job doesn't mean ALL games in its cohort will too.  There are plenty available now that are still in-tact and plenty more in-tact ones in the works from companies of all shapes and sizes. 

I still don't think Omega Z's denial by the censors amounts to much in the greater scheme of things, nowadays because the marketplace is so vast and wide open.  Tis nary a drop in the bucket.  Why cry over the cup of spilled skunky keg beer that is Omega Z when there is whiskey, vodka and other hard liquor flowing over yonder (in the form of dozens of unadulterated X-rated dungeon crawl JRPGs).  Or if spirits are too strong for you, there are/were/will be several beer, wine, etc. options in the cavalcade of titillating R-rated JRPGs (past, present, and future.)  Companies of all shapes and sizes proffer offerings aplenty to fill that empty cup.  Even if the more prominent companies don't have what you're hankering for, plenty of indie/art-house/doujin creators are/were/will be totally cooking up something to your liking.   

But, again, that's my mentality.  If A doesn't give me what I want the way I want it, then B, C, D, E, F, G, and H will be right there to proffer their competing wares that promise to give me what I want and/or more.  A doesn't get my business, F does (because F's offering is really good; the demo totally resonated with me so I bought it), I get my fix and live happily ever after.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10