Author Topic: Fall 2015 New Shows

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
Fall 2015 New Shows
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
So this is a place to talk about the new shows. I am making it separate from the general Television one because it seems to me it needs it's own.

The Player-Wesley Snipes amuses me in this. The first episode was ok. Like most first episodes it had to set stuff up, but did a good job of incorporating that into the story.

Blindspot-I am not sure how to feel about this one yet.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2015 New Shows
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
Hmmm...  my shows are:

Doctor Who - loved the first two episodes, as you would see in the dedicated Doctor Who thread.

Castle - haven't watched the first episode of this season (Season 08) yet

The Flash - starts first week of October!  Woot!

and my personal favorite tv show ever...

Person of Interest - apparently this is going to be its final season.  *le sigh*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »
Person of Interest - apparently this is going to be its final season.  *le sigh*

Wait, is that show actually worthwhile? It always sounded to me like a TV vigilante version of Minority Report that completely missed the point of Minority Report, which was that trying to stop crimes before they happen is not only impossible, it's actually quite dangerous and easily abused...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »
I liked the first episode of Blindspot, but yeah I'm not sure if it will hold my interest or not.

As for other new shows I've checked out, so far there's only one more:

The Muppets - May the divine power of the ghost of Jim Henson curse the ABC executives that let this travesty on the air! I mean, they've made two very entertaining Muppet movies in the last few years, where the hell were the guys that made those!?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »
Heroes Reborn was about as "good" (ie bad) as I thought it'd be. :/
Here's hoping it picks up (I mean, really, how good are series premiers)

Minority Report the TV show actually shows some promise and picks up on issues the movie kinda 'hushes' (like letting the criminals go who were arrested during the "precrime program").  But it does suffer from some "Futurama-isms" that this show is too serious to get away with.  What I mean is that THERE SURE IS A LOT of referencing to OUR generation even though this show takes place in 2060.  Meagan Good is seriously pretty, hell at least you get that for your time.

You're The Worst is the best show you never watched.  It's wonderfully cheeky and filthy and features some really clever dialogue.  You haven't watched it?  Get to it.  It's as solid a recommendation I can give.

Doctor Who was pretty good. (slight spoilers ahead)  I don't usually complain about the far-reaching realm of possible story lines since anything-goes in the Doctor Who universe.  But a few things I had trouble with like why The Doctor was worried about his morality during the first half of the first episode (it never got addressed) and the idea of a Dalek sewer was just way too convenient even for its own good.  Still, Missy can get a spin-off, even despite her brief camera time, she's seriously amazing (and a huge improvement over the previous version of that character), and I liked the spoilers, the switcheroos, and in general it kept me hooked.  And, c'mon, this may be the greatest thing I've seen all year (er, on tv)....

Rick and Morty is bringing its A-game into Season 2.  The latest episode about Purging people was violent (actually, there's been a lot of that this season), but featured so many damn good one-liners.  I'm happy this show exists; it does a lot with the cartoon medium and lets imagination do its thing.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
The new Muppets show is pretty funny. It's odd to see Kermit the Frog talk about his livelife with another girl (he broke up with Miss Piggy), and the humor is obviously adult oriented, but the Muppets are such kid friendly characters...it's awesome.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

Wait, is that show actually worthwhile? It always sounded to me like a TV vigilante version of Minority Report that completely missed the point of Minority Report, which was that trying to stop crimes before they happen is not only impossible, it's actually quite dangerous and easily abused...

Oh my yes.  It deals with all of that, and in wonderfully entertaining ways.  And it is actually a mythology-centric sci-fi show disguised as a procedural so casuals will watch it.  It's amazing.

The Muppets - May the divine power of the ghost of Jim Henson curse the ABC executives that let this travesty on the air! I mean, they've made two very entertaining Muppet movies in the last few years, where the hell were the guys that made those!?

Amen.

Doctor Who was pretty good.

I think even the most hardened, cynical Whovian would have to begrudgingly enjoy these first two episodes of Series 9.  Not OMG BLOW MY MIND awesome or anything, but it strikes a balance that should please most Whovians.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Fun fact: I hated the pilot of Person of Interest, but a few years later gave it another shot and now I'm all caught up and really eagerly awaiting the new season.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 06:39:46 PM »
I think Trevor Noah's first episode of The Daily Show was pretty damn good.  The second episode was a bit of a slip, but hell, even Stephen Colbert sounded pretty anxious his first week despite having The Report under his belt.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
The new Muppets show is pretty funny. It's odd to see Kermit the Frog talk about his livelife with another girl (he broke up with Miss Piggy), and the humor is obviously adult oriented, but the Muppets are such kid friendly characters...it's awesome.

This. A lot of what The Muppets pulled back in the day was considered adult, but got away with it due to its more all-ages feel and the fact that it was the 70s. At any rate, this version's alright. Kind of a bit too much of a The Office clone, but making it centered around Miss Piggy having a Late Night talk show is brilliant just because if it were real, she really would be the first female Late Night talk show host. Its something that there but doesn't really get addressed, and if this show can exercise insight like that more often, it'd all be worth it.

Other shows include:

Castle: Watched part of the first episode (skipped the second). After last season's meandering, I feel that maybe this season's trying to hew a little closer to the best seller genre that the show was a spoof of to begin with, but I'm still hesitant to really dive right back into this one just in case this goes right back to the meandering.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: First couple of weeks have passed and the show feels like its beginning to find its footing. Having Pope Week and Trump jokes helped a lot. Last night's was a humdinger with the inventor guy. I feel that this is definitely more Late Night talk show than the Colbert Report was, and that's okay too since there's still a bit of the Colbert Report bleeding into the Late Show which is making the transition smoother than it could've been.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: Caught most of the first episode and all of the second. I feel that Noah's trying to hard with filling Steward's shoes and using too much of his material. He definitely needs to find his rhythm and to bring more Noah to the table. The new correspondents are interesting thus far. It'll take another week or so, but I can see myself watching this on a regular basis.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore: This on the other hand, just isn't doing it for me. Wilmore has the occasionally good sketch, but his jokes are flat and his correspondents/staff just aren't that funny (except for the guy who speaks in the impenetrably flowery language, that bit's funny). There are good elements to his show like Keeping it 100 and the predominant minority perspective (i.e. focusing more on stories that don't affect Caucasians part of the 18-34 male demographic as much as the rest of the 18-34 male demographic), but Wilmore himself just isn't the guy who could bring the best out of this show.

Agents of SHIELD: Good start to the season. We're basically dealing with Brand X Mutants and getting alien worlds, and some more straight up Super Villains. Its amusing to see Sky/Daisy running around as a diplomat even though she seems to have reallocated her skill points out of Diplomacy (or is finding that ignoring that skill was kind of a mistake), as she now gets to deal with the very same drama bullshit that she was dishing out since the start of the show. Meanwhile Coulson's still carrying the show (lol at having Mac's Axe mounted on his office's wall) and Mac himself is still bringing some of the better one-liners to the show.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »
None of these are really new new but I don't care:

The Daily Show - I wish that Jordan Klepper had gotten to replace Jon Stewart, because as a correspondent he seems like he has such a perfect dim witted  personality to play a character similar to Stephen Colbert's except maybe not right wing.
Trevor Noah's alright, but it seemed like I hadn't heard of him and suddenly he was taking over, even though he was supposedly only around a few months.

Rick and Morty - S2E6 The Ricks Must Be Crazy was the highlight of this season for me, unless the finale tops it. Peace among worlds

South Park - S19E2 Where my Country Gone? set a really high bar last week for the rest of the season, it's beautiful and it may be a classic especially with several moments like this nugget of gold.
Episode 3 was pretty damn good last night too.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
@ Dice

Speaking of stunning women on new shows....

Meagan Good vs Priyanka Chopra from Quantico

There are no losers in that battle.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "glad I don't have the bloops"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
Fun fact: I hated the pilot of Person of Interest, but a few years later gave it another shot and now I'm all caught up and really eagerly awaiting the new season.

You're a wonderful person.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss
It sucks that I was sick while watching this so my attention was divided between my pain in the ass headache and watching the awesome season finale going on right in front of me.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
Supergirl: Don't know how I feel about this. First off, I'm not terribly familiar with the source material on this. Which second, makes it hard to figure out whether the hamfisted girl power dialog was from the comics or from the writers of the show (I could believe either/or, comics are notoriously sexist (among other things) even when they are trying to be progressive). And third, since when the hell has Jimmy Olsen ever approached suave?

Probably worth a three episode test, but I don't expect a miracle.

This. A lot of what The Muppets pulled back in the day was considered adult, but got away with it due to its more all-ages feel and the fact that it was the 70s. At any rate, this version's alright. Kind of a bit too much of a The Office clone, but making it centered around Miss Piggy having a Late Night talk show is brilliant just because if it were real, she really would be the first female Late Night talk show host. Its something that there but doesn't really get addressed, and if this show can exercise insight like that more often, it'd all be worth it.

That said, this version of The Muppets is, unfortunately, too mired in being an 'The Office' clone to even play to its potential. I don't think I'm going to be following this anymore.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.