Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:21:06 AM »
Glad we got a new singleplayer mode. That was the only thing they needed to announce to get me on-board.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:20:27 AM »
It looks like Betty and Cherie's designs actually got better, which is amazing.  But as expected, the rest of the female cast just got worse.
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 11:17:38 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles 4

This is slow-going, but I'm basically finished with it.  It's pretty much the perfect sequel to VC1 and the story is actually better than I expected.  There are some "morally gray" themes that actually aren't completely mishandled, which is nice for an "anime" RPG.

I have to admit that the Valkyria formula of throwing greater and greater odds at you for you to overcome really stresses me out, but it does feel good when you finally overcome them.  It's just tough starting another battle after finishing one.

Valkyria 4 does an excellent job of balancing its new class, Grenadiers, even though at times it does feel like they're a little overpowered.  However, rarely does it ever feel like it's balanced against the player.  Once you learn to think around Grenadiers, they're almost always an advantage for you.  I just made sure I prioritized the killing of all enemy Grenadiers as soon as possible, heh.

One thing that VC4 really does better than VC1 is in its Squaddies.  The recruitable characters here ALL have their own (optional) story chapters that you unlock by using them in battle.  It's something VC1 was begging for, since it had such interesting and well designed "generic" units.  So to see VC4 really step up to the plate in this area was fantastic.

I don't have many real complaints with the game.  One is that the interface is still stuck in 2007, like the original.  The other is that the "true" ending is locked behind beating the final boss on Hard mode, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.  Other than that, this is about as perfect as VC1!

FINAL SCORE:
9/10

Up Next: Octopath Traveler?
Besides Korean dramas, I started watching The Good Doctor, an American medical drama based on a Korean drama.  It's a pretty formulaic American medical drama.
I honestly enjoyed this game a great deal.

Because it's actually a really good game.

But yeah, it looked like Square was turning a corner for a while there, back in like 2015 around the time of FFVIIR announcement, but they've since just gone right back to being terrible again.  And Tabata quitting is the most damning evidence of all that the company is mismanaged.

If Square were a sports team, they'd need to fire all the coaches and start rebuilding.  Why the crap did they announce VIIR and make Nomura the director knowing he's directing HK3 and his inability to stick to a schedule?  Ridiculous.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Last post by Rook on Yesterday at 07:08:26 PM »
Why do I have a feeling that Square Enix in terms of managements is a total dumpster fire?  Seriously, they can't seem to stay on schedule for any of their projects.
To some extent the problem is announcing things LONG before they are ready to be announced (e.g., if I recall correctly, the director for the FF7 Remake wasn't even aware he was directing it till after it was announced). The inability to get anything done in a reasonable time just compounds the problem. I feel like it might be that they have perfectionist directors that are obsessed with maxing out the graphics so high that it takes 3x as long to get anything done than if went with a slightly lower or more stylized graphics, but that is entirely speculation.

Don't they still make their own engines for the AAA games? They seem to get out the unreal and unity stuff pretty quick.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality.
« Last post by Rucks on November 12, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
^ It's moronic and leads to delays, but because Squeenix is publicly traded and announcing AAA games drives up investment.  So there is incentive for them to get the word out on projects as soon as possible in order to bring in more cash.   
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on November 12, 2018, 12:29:56 AM »
If there's an upside to this, its that everybody's got a mark on their record at this point. Nobody's got the full 1700 Lyft anymore. Fake Edit: Apparently the 1680 thing is being caused by Aether cost fuckery and the actually flawless total is 1600. -_-; This mode is ruthless as hell.

I've since scored another Def loss, but at least this time it was close (my team made it to 7/7 and had even dropped an opponent before my final defender was knocked out).

Also, that's an odd bug (not surprising, just odd) and kinda sucks since I had a pretty strong position in that match from what I could see of turn 2.

Anyways, we've got our calendar now and it basically confirms the Book 3 update won't happen until at least mid December. We've got another Banner and GHeB. What's unusual this month is the lack of an Xmas/Winter Seasonal banner, especially with the lack of time between a possible Winter Seasonal banner and next year's New Year's possible Seasonal banner.

'Re'Edit: *snip* Less angry now. The TL;DR is that Lyft is too goddamn cutthroat and right now I want to disengage with it so that I no longer serve as a free punching bag for all the whales that are now profiting at my expense. The rewards aren't much to write home about anyways, and I'm gaining nothing from the replays either since most cut out at turn 1 with the rest featuring a steamrolling staring the other player's team. Having amended the above, I'm not touching the below.

If Book 3 does not change direction in a more F2P friendly way, I'm dropping this like the toxic waste that it, and all mobage slime, is.
« Last post by Hathen on November 11, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »
Yeah, even if you don't want the GHB/TT units, there's some crazy rare skills on some of them- I'd say Linus's Brazen ATK/SPD is probably the biggest one so far, a lot of the other ones like Ploys or Poleaxe are bit more niche in their application.

Also single screwups in this mode are really heavily punished so far. I've lost a single offensive match due to annoying dazzling staff and gravity stalling shenanigans, and at this moment its dropped me from Rank 1 to Rank ~12000 and counting. Means I'll be losing out on like 15+ Grails this cycle. I suppose the good news is that from here on out as long as I don't screw up again my rank can only go up.

I've had no defensive wins myself. I managed to get 1 KO on various defenses but 0 total wins. Like I said, this mode's big issue seems to be that things are so far pretty heavily stacked in the offensive side's favor. I think that's going to change a lot as people invest their resources differently though, because if you spend Dew on your Aether storage it means your base will end up lower level, causing enemy units to get more and more inflated stats. Also I don't think ragequitting results in a loss for you, if you're getting the "unable to replay" message it's very likely you ran into the now-known bug of Summoner/Ally Support screwing with the game's calculations and crashing the replay.
« Last post by Aeolus on November 11, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
I don't mind the new Aether mode, but the rewards are kind of pointless since they're sort of circular. Winning in Aether mode gives you rewards that allow you to build your keep better so you can... win more at Aether mode. Unless you want more Grand Hero Battle units, of course, though I'm not especially interested in them.

Some of them have the potential of being really good with multiple merges, but were usually hardcapped to whatever you've accumulated up to this point.

But also a bunch of skills are either exclusive or easier to obtain from GHeB/T_T reward characters. Such as:

F!Robin's Blue Tome Breaker and Gronnwolf (Rhajat has Keen Gronnwolf but is also 5 star locked)
Walhart's Chill Def (locked to King Chrom and RyoDancema a 5 star locked and seasonal)
Camus'/Walhart's Granni Shield
Michalis' Iote's Shield
Berkut's Berkut's Lance (also Water Boost, but who gives a fuck)
Gerome's Poleaxe
Ursula's Blarwolf (and by extension Keen Blarwolf)
Canas' Raudrowl (Katarina also has this but is 5 star locked)
M!Kana's Brazen Def/Res and Fortify Dragons (former found on Hardin while the latter is found on Ninian and Dream F!Corn, all 5 star locked)
Linus' Brazen Atk/Spd (only otherwise found on Winter Robin, another seasonal)
Marisa's Infantry Pulse
Joshua's Close Defense and Windsweep (there are 4 other units with Close Defense but are generally 5 star locked or seasonal, while only Alm shares the latter)
Arvis' Def Ploy (Flora and Summer Gaius also have it but one's seasonal and the other's 5 star locked)
Julius' and Olivier's Atk Ploy (otherwise exclusive to 5 star locked or seasonal units)
Saias' Spd Ploy (Dierdre's the only other source and also 5 star locked)
Valter's and Garon's Panic Ploy (otherwise locked to Zelgius and Luke; Garon's also a non 5 star locked/seasonal source of Distant Def)
Ethlyn's Spd/Def Bond (seasonal NYCamilla's the only other source)
Jamke's Heavy Blade (only regular Ike gets this and he's still 5 star locked)
Bride Marth's Ardent Service (also the only non-5 star locked source of Drive Atk)
Evil Takumi's Spd Smoke (see also Sigurd and Air Nino, both 5 star locked)

Unfortunately, Grails look to be the next Divine Dew/Seal Coins, so don't expect to be cashing in on these anytime soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10