Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Games / Re: Fire Emblem Heroes
« Last post by Aeolus on Today at 09:58:58 PM »
My Gamecube strategy is to go all in on either Horses and/or Fliers (since they get really good bonuses and I've got a fairly solid Horse Barracks going, though my Flier Barracks is in pretty bad shape right now and needs to be overhauled) and nope the hell out of Infantry (although with beasts like Keaton, I might be encouraged to shed off some of my Year 1 losers clogging the ranks), as I try to aim for the rank 25 rewards over any Army participation. Now if in my grind to rank 25, I score in the 1-3 tier on one of the first two rounds (or 4-10 on a round 3 like this one if I bother at all), then all the better, but I'm not grinding on whale lords for half a day non-stop to participate in that rat race (even with horses and a couple easy to clear map scoring 16k per battle). Admittedly, this would be a lot easier to do with some friended whales, but the biggest spender on my list is you Hathen, and by a wide margin. The stronger players I run afoul of in the Arena/AA and send friend requests to end up either ignoring me or loading me down with shitty reps and its another of the myriad of issues I have with the game.

As for Gustav, on the up side, at least getting horribly immolated hasn't stopped Gunnthra and Laegjarn from joining, performing well in CYL or in getting alts/FB coverage, so a Scythe to the chest shouldn't impact his playability too much. Although how many alternate Askrs are there for Gustav alts to pop in from? I think the bigger issue is that all this really accomplished is establishing Hel's actual motivation of having to show up every 20 years or so to drop another Askr king. All Alfonse managed to accomplish was extending his deadline from 9 days to 20 years. Meanwhile, if anybody's going to end up on the chopping block sooner rather than later, it'll be Kiran, who'll naturally manage to bullshit their way out of whatever death-clock contract Hel has planned for them.

For FE6's banner, the five highest ranking characters in the CYL polls still absent are Idunn, Rutger, Dieck, Lugh and either Wolt, Gonzalez or Percival. Given the general trend towards gender parity, and that Sue and Echidna are the highest females outside of Idunn, I suspect our next banner should consist of Rutger, Dieck, Sue and Echidna with Idunn as either a GHeB or a Mystic and Wolt as the T_T reward character. Now watch it either be more Lilina, Hector alts; Marcus, Wolt, and Alance with Tithe as the T_T reward character (and Idunn as the Mystic because come on), or Wolt, Bors, Lalum and Thite with Lugh as the T_T reward, Thite as the obvious demote and Bearded Hector as the Mystic (because fuck Int Syst).
Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Last post by Arvis on Today at 05:30:31 PM »
I can see why some people got out of control with screen shots.

Hey 
« Last post by Hathen on Today at 05:13:24 PM »
I had a round where my team ended up with a final score of like, 15. Only had like 2 areas at the end. I mean, if you don't have 2 or 3 people on your team to spam lances at the right times and carry everyone that's what will happen. Round 3 tends to be pretty consistent because the everyone around the world procrastinates so we all wait until then to spam our lances. Personally I find it worthwhile to go for the Rank 4-10 bracket in the first two rounds (top 3 is usually people dumping everything) and then emptying out on the last round.

Also, Legendary Roy won't save us from another Hector or Lilina alt. Lilina is designated FE6 waifu and Hector is second designated husbando of the franchise (after Ike). I doubt they'll resist the urge to put in beard Hector even though Lector really should've been that (and despite the fact everyone in the community will bellyache, secretly they'll be happy about it). WIldcard choice is a Shanna alt for a very belated celebration of her VG victory, but I don't think that'll happen.

RIP in peace Gustav. Place your bets on whether Sharena or Henriette gets it next. And yeah, Forging Bonds really has improved since they decided that it's a good vehicle for either character development or slice-of-life shenanigans with the Askrs rather than having the characters try to get into Kiran's pants the whole time. Although I want to say with Fates characters they're a lot better at preserving their character traits than they were with the Tellius beasts. Not too surprising I guess.

My free pull luck has ended it seems, since none of my summoning tickets got me anything shiny. Also after that free demonstration of Selkie's skill I've realized she's even more broken than I thought she was. At first I thought she would compare each stat individually for the bonuses, but instead it's just "lol just stack res for statblob".
« Last post by Frostillicus on Today at 10:19:40 AM »
Recently started DQ XI. Just got back into Heliodor With Erik.
I'm enjoying the game so far. It's very easy on the eyes. I can see why some people got out of control with screen shots. Yeah, the synth music is a bit of a letdown, especially after the symphonic opening. However, the prior kind of fits, with this game being such a huge nod to the earlier games in the series...
On that note, I can see why newcomers to the series have been let down by this game's... 'simplicity'. To us who have played the older titles (I've played almost all since the very first, which came free with my Nintendo Power subscription), it's a large part of this game's charm.
Also, as with DQ VIII, I love the European accents. However, the silent protagonist is honestly weird in this day and age. I'd even take Mario-style outbursts over absolutely nothing.
Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Infamous: Second Son
- About 45% done. A solid upgrade to the series in general. It's nice to have a protagonist who has some personality, even if he is a bit of a douche. Having multiple powers is pretty bad ass. Some of said powers remind me of Saint's Row IV quite a bit, which is a very good thing.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Hathen on Yesterday at 09:27:49 PM »
I mean, the self-insert being a main lord isn't really inherently a problem, like 80% of WRPGs do it, and a lot of the older FE lords were made super bland as to make them easy to project onto anyway.

I still prefer Mark if they need to have a self-insert. Even if they had made Mark a playable unit it wouldn't be so bad because for the most part you're just a guy sorta tagging along story-wise. I know a lot of people point to it as the beginning of husbando/waifu subtext when Eliwood/Hector/Lyn directly speak to the player, but they never directly flirt with you or anything stupid like that so it comes off as such a false equivalence to me when people compare Lyn to Camilla or something.

Or compare Mark with Kiran- story-wise they're basically filling the same role, but every single character wants Kiran's dick/vag so it makes all the text become insufferable.
« Last post by Rook on Yesterday at 07:22:30 PM »
I've played 4 chapters of Valkyria Chronicles 4 and its good, very good. Gameplay is yes VC1 w/ a new character class and you already knew that. This is fine, in fact its better than fine because VC1 is on my shortlist for all time favorite combat systems and its been way too long of a wait to play it again.

The new class is Grendiders. They seem to either napalm the entire map clean of enemies in 1-2 turns or are totally useless depending on the mission. 

As far as the story goes, its decent, but the story and characters aren't anywhere as well done as VC1 (VC1 is a tough act to follow in that dept - in fact pretty much everything about VC1 is a tough act to follow, its IMO the best game of the PS3 gen). I was worried that it was going to be all angst and raeg looking at screenshots but so far its just tropey anime stuff, passibly done.

The graphics - WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT USING THIS ART STYLE IN OTHER GAMES, to my knowledge there is this, and uh Grimgar, which come on isn't even a game (or is it??????) 

Music - decent enough.

But yea, buy it, because I'd like to see VC3 remade someday.

« Last post by Aeolus on February 20, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
At least Robin turned out to be the wrong chosen one, even if their status as a Lord is murky at best (they ended up overshadowing Lucina).

But yeah, the biggest issue with Kris is the fact that a lot of their relevancy was swiped from Mystery's Marth. Worse still is that you can't cover them in goofy hats/facial wear as that would've made them a whole lot more tolerable.

Corrin had the biggest issues though because of the whole 'romancing your siblings from two families thing' as well as only a handful of characters not falling into the camp of being within 2 degrees of them, on top of a full host of other plot centric elements.

Byleth is unfortunately looking like they're going to be the main Lord this time as well. Especially since out of all main house leaders and such, he's the only one confirmed to be a Sord Lord. Dimitri looks to have Lance proficiency, Edelgard having Axes and Claude getting on with the Bows.
« Last post by Aeolus on February 20, 2019, 06:17:25 AM »
New banner is up, and surprise surprise, Infantry got BST bumped again (the D.Flowers, they do nothing!). Now Keaton rocks 167 BST and Velouria rocks 168 while Kaden, Selkie and Panne remain at Gen 2 Horse BST.

Keaton, on top of being his expected min/maxed brick shithouse self, has a Superboon on his already staggering 41 Atk which means that only Reinhardt 2's mobility keeps him from getting completely shafted. Velouria's far more balanced, which continues to suggest that she's gonna be our demote (assuming there is one), although Kaden is also fairly balanced with horse stats so he might get the demote instead. Selkie to no one's surprise has min/maxed Spd and Res and fortunately, due to being stuck with Gen 2 Horse BST, really crappy Atk for this point of the game, although her weapon and skills make up for it, it does keep her from being too obscene (also, I was wrong about her weapon effect, she gains half the difference between her Res to her opponent's Res to every stat, its even more obscene because she ties Jagen for highest Horse Res, and the average is generally in the mid 20s). Panne unfortunately also shares Selkie's pitiful 29 Atk, but her Spd, physical bulk and weapon make up for it by giving +3 to every stat as long as she's not adjacent to beasts/dragons on top of horse effective damage. She also comes with Astra, Chill Spd and Def Smoke so something's getting sorta demoted.

As for pulls, I did pretty well all things considered. Got a neutral Keaton off of the first ticket (although, like a goddamn idiot I kept pulling on a virgin 3.0 multiplier, the reason why it was 3.0 and not 3.25 was because my second pull was a +Spd/-Def Ylgr). The rest of the tickets got me a high enough multiplier to pull a spare Dorcas (+HP/-Spd) out of as well. So a few pity breakers, a few wasted Orbs and at least one on banner unit with not terrible IVs is just right.

The FB this time around is amusing at least, unfortunately the same cannot be said about the game's actual plot and the dipshit driving it.

Edit: Leg got leaked and its Roy. The good news is that we 'might' not have to worry about getting a repeat of the Sacred Stones banner from last year if the designated Roy Alt is getting sprung on us now (though the threat of a repeat of last year's Thracia 776 banner remains ever present).

Incidentally, looking over my notes, now that the Fateswakening beasts (Yarne aside) are in, that leaves Anna, Severa, Naga, Nah and Emmeryn from Awakening and Rinkah, Anna, Lilith, Nyx and Forrest as the top five yet to make it in respectfully across both 2018's and 2019's CYLs. Naga and Emmeryn didn't do terribly well during Awakening's CYL1 which is why the remaining two were Kellam and Cynthia, meanwhile, Lilith got edged out of Fates' CYL1's top five absentees because Caeldori is nothing, if not consistent in her placement.

Incidental to that, I had to travel down to rank 40 in Fates to get the top 5 absentees, and rank 33 for Awakening's in CYL1. In CYL2, I only had to descend to rank 32 for Fates and rank 29 for Awakening. And in CYL3, I only needed to reach ranks 24 and 20 respectfully. And if you think those numbers are deep (well they are comparatively speaking), Awakening's least popular entry CYL1's and 3's were Walhart at ranks 48 and 54 respectfully while CYL2's was Sully at rank 52. On the Fates' side of things, both CYL1's Siegbert and CYL2's Gunter ranked 74th within Fates' roster, with CYL3 going back to Siegbert at rank 80.

Also, holy shit were the GCN teams bullshit this month. Only one round did more than dismally (at least I got to rank high in Army for those matches at 1st and 10th respectfully; fucking 3rd round tryhards all had at least 230k in score despite the team never occupying more than 5 territories in a given round).
« Last post by Hathen on February 19, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
I'd say Robin and Kris are about the same level, the only reason a lot of people think Kris is worse is because they have the original Mystery of the Emblem to compare it to (which, let's be honest, didn't really have much of a story itself). If anything Kris's importance is actually less so than Robin's is in his own game.
« Last post by Ranadiel on February 19, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.
Shouldn't that be more like Robin than Kris or Corrin? The one thing that I have heard about New Mystery is that Kris overshadows Marth making Marth look completely ineffective.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10