Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Aeolus on June 14, 2019, 11:12:30 PM »
From what I've seen of Yamato 2202 so far, its kinda meh. Like a B or C-level Marvel movie, there's a ton of flash and circumstance, and it does some of OG Yamato's 2nd season oddities better than the original version, but it lost more than it gained overall. I won't say that I regret watching it, but I wouldn't have made it a priority like I did knowing now, what I now know.
Anime, TV, and Movies / Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Last post by Mickeymac92 on June 14, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
Space Battleship Yamato 2202 - Up to episode 5 now, and this has honestly been excellent so far, with back-to-back surprises. I was afraid they were just doing a sequel for the sake of it, but so far it definitely feels like a natural continuation of 2199. I'm looking forward to watching more...I got distracted by all the E3 buzz, and forgot all about for about it a month now. Oops.

Gundam Build Fighters - I wasn't gonna watch this. It looked like Yu-Gi-Oh with Gundam in it, a naked advertisement for Gunpla with no substance. But damnit, once I saw some of the battle animations and enjoyed the honestly excellent Battle Prologue ONA, I finally gave in and watched some to try and get my Gundam fix.

I can't watch this. I hate the writing, the characters, the braindead plot, the annoying dialogues, how they bent over backwards to make everything be about plastic models being animated by some fictional particle when scanning the models and making virtual models based on them would've been a more sensible option. Eventually I started skipping to the battle sequences, and even with all the pretty animation, Gundam battles just aren't very exciting if I don't know or care about the context as to why they're fighting. I had seen some scenes on Youtube that cut all the character portions out, and I think it's telling when seeing those scenes as they were intended had far less impact. "Nothing" was literally better than what they wrote to justify these battles. Such a waste.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet - Sometimes, life is all about perspective. I hated the movie version of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin when I saw them a year or two ago, feeling like they were too childish, rushed, and out of touch with the franchise it's trying desperately to emulate. And I still hold to that to a degree, some of the scenes are down right cringeworthy, or at least head-scratching. It's also far longer than it needs to be, with some scenes feeling unnecessarily drawn out, or are arguably even exist as pure filler.

But boy, is it better than Build Fighters! Like a camel to an oasis, I needed this - political intrigue, interesting characters with goals and interwoven backstories, tragedy and triumph! Sure, it has cool battles, but here they actually mean something. I know the stakes, I have someone to root for, every movement counts, every minute I'm on the edge of my seat, and afterwards, there are consequences and things to ruminate on. A good story only enhances the action. I'm only 7 episodes in so far, but I've been enjoying every minute of it, warts & all!
video of grandia 1
https://youtu.be/rLSa-WNhGPQ

Woof. That's pretty damn lazy. Bet they're using the PS1 G1 and PS2 G2 versions as well. They had one goddamn job....
video of grandia 1
https://youtu.be/rLSa-WNhGPQ
That looks like a Grandia 1 rom running emulated with an HD filter =/
Far from impressive.
Single-Player RPGs / Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Last post by Aeolus on June 11, 2019, 04:06:21 AM »
As promised, I've separated out the bios that have accumulated and restricted them to just the students for the sake of making your choice between Griffondor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff easier. (as well as some Archtype comments):

- Black Eagles -

Edelgard: Imperial Princess of the Adrestian Empire and the house leader of the Black Eagles, she gives off a sense of nobility and dignity and calmly assesses her situation and those around her.

Hubert: The Tactician of the Black Eagles, and the eldest son of the Marquis Vestra(?). He has served Edelgard from a young age and will do whatever it takes to eliminate obstacles to her. According to Edelgard, he is calculating but honorable. (Is a Soren/Jakob expy?)

Dorothea: Once studied singing at the Mittlefrank Operahouse and admires Manuella. She feels uncomfortable about being the only commoner within the Black Eagles, but generally tries to get along all the same. (The only other inexperienced singer in the series to date has been Shigure but I don't think they were going for that. Maybe she'll be more like Fates' Layla. :v  )

Ferdinand: Eldest son of the Ageir Dukedom, a line that has long since served as chancellors to the Imperial Court, which brings him a great sense of pride. Hates losing. Especially in regards to Edelgard's natural talents. (...but Edelgard is Red, not Green)

Bernadetta: Only daughter of the Dukedom of Varley. Extremely shy around others and prefers to remain secluded in her room to pursue her hobbies. (hikomori much?)

Caspar: The second son of Count Bergliez family. As he's not expected to succeed his father as the head of his house, he instead focuses on training himself as a martial artist. Considered hotheaded but possesses a strong sense of justice. ("Go! Go! Power Ranger!")

Petra: The granddaughter of the King of Brigget, a suzarian island nation to the Empire. As a token of their allegiance, Petra was sent as an exchange student to the Officer's Academy. She's not yet fluent in the region's dialect, but is committed to its mastery. ("Ve vish to fight vith you.")

Linhardt: TBA

- Blue Lions -

Dimitri: Crown Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and house leader of the Blue Lions. He's a sincere and chivalrous young man who occasionally displays a hint of darkness beneath his demeanor.

Dedue: A peasant from Daska and a servant of Dimitri. Owes a great debt to Dimitri and is willing to die for him. Calm and gentle in spite of his stern and stoic face. (Is basically Benny but someone's servant now.)

Felix: The eldest son of House Fraldarius and refers to his longtime friend Dimitri as 'Boar'. Tries to act like a lone wolf and will duel anyone he perceives as a challenge. (Our resident Navarre apparently.)

Mercedes: Daughter of an Imperial Noble house, but left that behind to study Magic as a commoner within the Kingdom of Faergus. Generally friendly and caring to those around her, and claims that she's "a bit older" than your average student. Also good friends with Annette. (has 'Sickly/Dead Mom walking' vibes in spades)

Ashe: Adopted son of Lord Ronato of the Casperd region. He hold Lord Ronato in high regard, especially for sending him to the academy, despite his past as a commoner. He studies hard in order to follow in his adopted father's footsteps. (I have no strong opinions one way or the other; there's always one in these games)

Annette: The niece of the Baron Dominic. A graduate of the Faergus' Mage Academy and a long time friend with Mercedes. Cheerful and hardworking but occasionally takes missteps that lead to failure. (its too bad Mercie's hair isn't Green because we haven't had a female/female Red/Green Cavalier duo yet)

Sylvain: Successor of House Gautier after his older brother was removed from succession for lack of a Crest. Generally acts like an older brother type, but fancies himself a ladies man. (return of the Sain/Inigo/Soleil)

Ingrid: TBA

- Golden Deer -

Claude: Heir of House Riegan, the leading house of the Leicester Alliance and house leader of the Golden Deer. He seems easygoing enough, but will occasionally show a side you shouldn't let your guard down around.

Lorentz: Eldest son of House Gloucester, and snobbish noble who can occasionally reveal his serious nature. Tries to make moves on the ladies with little to no success. (Is basically Virion minus being the Archiest Archer.)

Hilda: The only daughter of the Goneril Dukedom. Has a tendency towards slacking off and sweet-talking others thanks to having been spoiled by her father and brother. She comes off as a noble lady and enjoys fashion and fancy things. (FE7's Serra, down to the hair.)

Raphael: Son of a Merchant family of Leicester. He's had a hard upbringing due to losing his parents in an accident. Generally optimistic, and spends more time worrying about what's on the menu and hitting the gym than he does on lectures and hitting the books. (voted most likely to get left behind to watch the castle)

Lysithea: Eldest daughter of the house of Count Cordelia. She's 15 yrs old as the youngest student admitted in this year. A magical prodigy but is still a hard worker despite her many talents though she hates being treated like a child. (the Ricken x Cordelia ship isn't my first choice, but at least she isn't just another Ricken clone like Hayato was)

Ignace: The second son of a merchant family within the Alliance. Since his elder brother is inheriting the family business, he chooses to become a knight to please his parents, despite feelings towards wanting to aspire to something else. Has a kind demeanor and a disposition towards nature and art. (shota quota reached)

Marianne: The foster daughter of the Duke of Edmund. Deeply pious. And though she rarely speaks in the presence of others, she is at home with nature and communing with birds and animals. (she too took lessons from Mordecai)

Leonie: TBA
And that's why we're all waiting on pins and needles for this HD remaster.
Urgh, why??? That was one of the main things I had hoped they'd fix...
It had the slowdown.
I forgot, did the Steam version of Grandia 2 have that awful slowdown every other version has or is it perfect?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10