Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 10, 2016, 07:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377173 Posts in 15097 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
  Show Posts
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 841
16  The Rest / General Discussions / Re: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:47 PM
My comment on this isn't going to add any meaningful discussion, but hey I'll put my $0.02 in.

The thing about cut content is....  I don't give a shit.  

Oh my god, fucking petting???  Really?  Literally adds *nothing* to what I enjoy in the games, or any game that's featured it (PokÚmon had it so they "love me more" or some shit, quite frankly I'd rather not have at all and save the time, same with Kingdom Hearts 3D adding it; sure it was cute and fun the first 15 times, after that it just got tedious since there was almost literally nothing to it).  I like Fire Emblem for it being a staple of the SRPG genre with cool plots and interesting characters (sometimes).  Xenoblade X's boob slider?  I have BARELY thought about it *at all* playing the game nor do I see how it was relevant to begin with (people would have said fuck all if it wasn't included in the game from the get-go but it's the removal of said feature that got people angry).  I guess I'm kinda "aww shucks" about the cut scenes from Breath of Fire IV.  Except I'm not, because they're on YouTube and I can still watch it.  Final Fantasy VI had some sprites edited.  OH NO! .... But oh well, slightly covered up butts really have no impact on me especially against the overall title's impact (though I do like the sprite work in the SNES games and Amano is a fantastic artist, so it's definitely a loss, but really, not boycotting-levels).

I never got that "Nintendo playing the parent deciding what's right for it's kid's eyes".  They been doing this for decades now, so I'm surprised people are surprised.  Also, a lot of parents, as much as it's silly to say, really appreciate that about them.   And sure I'm all for uncut stuff and it's great when people aren't magically covered up more or a cool gory scene plays out... but I guess that I just never really gave too much a crap for it.  I still end up enjoying games without feeling like a piece of its "soul" was gutted and left of the cutting room floor.  I honestly feel like the reason this has so much press these days is because it's been such a hot-button issue to bandwagon on (and certainly the extension that SJWs are being used as a scapegoat for this).  I guess I just don't get why it matters so much.  I do believe in artistic integrity, but I'm not convinced all decisions in gaming are in the name of "art", and sure what counts as such is arbitrary in many ways.  But most of all, a lot of these changes are minor and cosmetic that I really don't feel the overall grade or score I'd give a game would be hampered by changes like this in games.  I'm never like "Hey Breath of Fire IV is a solid 8/10, but it would have been a 9 if I got to watch that scene where Ursula drops her pants!", or "Fire Emblem Fates is only getting a 4 from me --- I loved it, but I couldn't pet my fellow soldiers".  

Nintendo is a business and they're loved by so many parents because of that family-friendly attitude.  Sure it sucks for the adult player at times, but that's just Nintendo.  I also don't think it's much more complicated than the stuff that's more 'culturally acceptable' in Japan doesn't always fly here and vice versa.

tl;dr: Censorship/editing sucks, but it's no cause *I'd* raise a pitchfork for and not the hill I'd die on.  
17  Media / Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn on: February 03, 2016, 05:47:52 PM
If you care even a little bit about Digimon, got buy Cyber Sleuth. It's amazeballs.

So tempting if not for the fact the Canadian dollar is in the shitter.  So many good games this year, it's just too perfect that the economy would fall apart right at the same time!
I'm afraid $80 for a game is hard to justify. T__T

I also haven't been following along till recently (mainly because of all the good buzz), but was this actually released overseas or are y'all playing the Asian import?
18  Media / General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:36 PM


omg...  (she's been right before, fingers crossed!?!)
19  Media / Single-Player RPGs / Re: Star Ocean 5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:17:12 PM
Maybe her overseas voice will reflect the tougher part.  I'd like to think so.
20  Media / Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:52 PM
I was the happiest little girl seeing how awesome the quick travel in Trails of Cold Steel is.

I just bought a Wired 360 controller for my PC gaming.  I am loving Undertale so much that I want to NOT play it on a keyboard anymore...
By the way, Fangamer's Official Undertale Merch is awesome.  I need those figures. D:
21  Media / Single-Player RPGs / Re: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:33 PM
Ramza Beoulve Gets An Introduction Trailer For Dissidia Final Fantasy
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/03/ramza-beoulve-gets-introduction-trailer-dissidia-final-fantas

What the what? Ramza, waifu material now?

Can everyone fly in Dissidia?
Because I don't remember Ramza flying FFTA.

THat was my first question too.  I do remember it's a pretty weird fighting game from the get-go
22  The Rest / General Discussions / Re: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread on: February 03, 2016, 02:29:17 PM
Social justice and feminism have become "bad words" because people are sick of the "everything is problematic" idea put out by a lot of people that support those movements.
For me personally though, I'm tired of certain things (double standards, privileges, things that disadvantage men and women) being ignored universally by feminists in favor of things like combating manspreading, polehogging, and banning the word bossy. (serious or not, that last one's pretty dumb)
I'm especially tired of buzzwords like rape culture or sexism getting thrown around to the point that they lose their meaning.

"People should learn what feminism is."
I'm also tired of anti-feminists/critics of feminism being dismissed as misogynists and stuff like gamergate or meninism (a parody) being labeled as whiny, so I suggest they find out what this pushback is actually all about.

»\_(ツ)_/»

edit: The petting minigame just comes off to me as a reeeeaaally innocuous thing similar to the way couple caress each others' faces sometimes not to get all hot and bothered but just a sign of affection, PLUS the entire "pedophilia" aspect wasn't very relevant since (afaik?) the minigame isn't very perverted.
And the thing about one-to-one translations being boring, I think everyone (at least the vast majority) of people crying foul want the game unaltered in the sense that they want it to get across everything in the script that was originally intended even if it uses an indirect translation but not going so far to change the context.

edit 2: This is a good example of the way many critics of feminism see feminism, and no they may not all be like this but it seems like an awful lot of them act this way.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Ol9PF

Fans of meninism I think dip in and out of being completely serious (the Twitter account is...really weird lately with it's respect to humour these days too).  I'm not convinced all of its fans think it's a parody, and there's definitely a big culture on the net of people who get together to take a piss on feminists.

Double standards are a huge problem, I catch myself thinking about this all the time and do the best I can to be gender neutral or think courteously and considerately to both sexes.  But I think it's important to understand that overt and serious sexism, to both men and women, is easy enough to stop or quell... It's the smaller more nuanced expressions of it that are much harder.  The "ban bossy" didn't do much for me, but I do agree with the whole "You _____ like a girl!!" as an insult.  Or you get Red Pillers literally using lines like "women are much less logical and too emotional" as an argument and often or blame their critical thinking.  Gamergate hates censorship, and it's great when they're taking on issues about it, but then a ton of hot topics about those vile "SJWs/White Knights" or any Anita Sarkeesian video become huge over there because of a pretty strong anti-feminist leaning.  I totally think the depiction of women in videogames has for too long been an issue, but I'm all for complaining how too often men are usually giant muscular heroes who are "too tough" to show emotion when the reality for both genders is a lot more complicated.  Frankly, I think media and games will get more interesting if we can stop adhering to certain representations like this.

The Fire Emblem minigame wasn't that bad, innocuous as you say, but still highly bizarre and eyebrow raising to almost everyone when it was revealed.   I mean who seriously "pets a person" in real life?  I definitely feels out of place in the Fire Emblem series.  I think I actually would have preferred a "stylus touch on the lips" to kiss them (ok, that might be weird still for younger characters) than this sort of PG-13 approach to pet them (unless it's the gaming's best euphemism for other acts) ...  It sucks it's gone, but I also stop myself and think "is this the best idea they could think of?"

I'm all for posting links to instances of feminist-abuse, but uh, that post is tagged the "anti-feminist circlejerk" for a reason.  The girl is clearly off her wagon, and the dude is a douche.  Any reasonable person to argue those issues with will likely do more of what those two didn't.
23  The Rest / General Discussions / Re: Youtube on: February 02, 2016, 11:38:16 PM
https://youtu.be/Mh5LY4Mz15o
Watch this brief history of Japan and feel like acid burned some knowledge into your mind!
24  Media / Game Journals / Re: A Game Journal Reborn on: February 02, 2016, 08:15:48 PM
Finished Ico. I never got a chance to play this when it came out for PS2 but it still really hold up well for a first time player. I liked that the game never held your hand. It made solving the puzzles more rewarding. None of them were that difficult to figure out, not enough to want to check it up online anyway. The waterwheel section and piston jump were annoying though, even though I knew what I had to do.

Ico is crazy athletic. I started off thinking Yorda was just weaker than average but nope, Ico is just that good. Yorda seems to be able to do what a normal person would do. It is not her fault she can't fall 15 metres and just walk it off.

I really love that athleticism, it what really makes the Ico Trilogy feel cohesive in a strange way.  When the heroes run, their legs can barely keep up with them, when they jump their arms flail to keep the momentum going, when you're hanging on to a cliff you're struggling to bring yourself up, and interacting with Yorda, Agro, or Trico[?] the Griffon-Cat feel more tricky to interact with than act as simple bystanders obeying every command you shout.  Like you said though, while Agro or Trico have an excuse, Yorda's lack of super athletic ability is what makes travelling with her a little tricky.



The Last Guardian E3 2015 trailer demonstrates this so damn well.  The fleshy sound of the kid's feet hitting the stone, the way he quickly runs down some steps, how he loses balance on a narrow bridge, or the way he kinda gets pushed by Trico's giant head and body.  My favourite though is the little instances where while running the kid comes into contact with a higher elevated platform that sort of 'disrupts' his straight path and has him trip a little before he keeps running.  It makes the visual a lot more interesting than your usually game just allowing the running animation to continue and clip through objects.



I think that's one reason the games have stood out so well and stood up so well in time is because the way they animate the characters is so damn interesting.
25  Media / General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic on: February 02, 2016, 11:38:26 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194016278&postcount=1

Black Rose Valkyrie for PS4.

By Compile Heart------WAIT, I know what you're thinking, but the designs aren't moeblobs, and they actually got Kosuke Fujishima of Ah Megami-Sama/Tales of fame.  So there's that.


Not bad!
(well, the part where you play as a "lead male with five heroines" sort of dipping back into Compile Heart roots, but definitely looks different than the usual :P )
26  Media / Single-Player RPGs / Re: FINAL FANTASY XV, This is a fantasy based on reality. on: February 02, 2016, 11:15:30 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194031258&postcount=1
PC release looking more real.
27  Media / Single-Player RPGs / Re: Star Ocean 5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:50:28 AM
https://youtu.be/3jjfYeCnlGU

Character Trailer: Anne
What's important:
> Probably the only female character I think looks cool (since Checkers, Sailor Moonface, and mandatory loli in mystical garbs look like dead-ends on sight)
> Seems to like cats the way Ashton likes barrels (...sometimes I can't believe I talk about this stuff sometimes)
> Looks like a genderbent Rufus (à la VP2)
> She's 28 (holy shit, so old asfarasJRPGgirlsgo)
> 60 fps video
> Seamless cutscenes
> PAs
> Cool combat
> Less crazy camera (hopefully not bullshot/video'd)
> Higher fuctioning Tales of Zestiria? :P

Still looks pretty. 
28  Media / General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic on: February 01, 2016, 09:38:00 PM

neil degrassi street is silently blowing his brains out right now


...

We need a 'post like' feature.
29  Media / General Games / Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic on: February 01, 2016, 06:00:31 PM
And in other ne-SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS!!! http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/01/adventures-mana-release-north-america-europe-japan-february-4/

Out Thursday. Be there, or be Squeenix.

What a flop of a joke...

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE ENIX

30  Media / Single-Player RPGs / Re: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread on: January 31, 2016, 01:04:19 AM
And like I said earlier, I think Kuja is one of the most underrated FF characters and a fantastic villain.  I'd say he's one of the top 5 villains of the series.

The more I think about it, the more you're definitely right, which probably feeds the fact he is underrepresented since I had to think about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 841


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!