I want to preface my list by saying it is in no way based in logic. Meaning, looking at it objectivly one would have to say the current gen represent the best we have ever had in terma of quality and graphics. My list will be completly emotional. The systems I had the most fun with.
1). Sega dreamcast.
The dreamcast came out when I was a freshman in college, and gave us the greatest leap in graphics we will ever see. Psx to the dreamcast was night and day. Also, the japanese games being released were amazing. Seaman, shenmue, jet set radio, code veronica. Not to mention online play. Simply put I will never be as into gaming as I was in 99 and 2000
2) sony playstation. King of the rpg. And the greatest game ever made ff7
Probably deserves higher but I played the ps2 more now that its a dead system than when it was out. Great rpgs, although the fall of the jrpg began here
4) xbox 360
Took online gaming to a new lvl. Friends list, gamerscore. Spiritual succesor to the dreamcast. Just a great system all around.
This ame out in 92. The amazment of cd gaming and 32 bit graphics was a sight to behold when compared to the snes. 3do had a lot of great games. Including immercenary, a game about an mmo that captured the world matrix style. Now you jack in to stop it
3DO? I had that and regret it dearly. The only game worth playing on it was the port of Star Control II
My top 5
1) PSX: Sure the games didn't age well but for the 1st couple of years every game I played I loved. From arcade style stuff like NBA Jam, Philosoma, some of the fighting games that showed up, to wipeout, g-police (such a hard fucking game), warhawk, twisted metal... god the list is never ending.
2) 360: The pure addiction and immersion to games like oblivion, reach, the myriad of FPSers is a testament to how fluid and easy online play is on this. Also: Mass Effect series. Borderlands
3) Sega Genesis. Even though I never owned this the awesome shooting games and shit like star control and herzog zwei kept me sleeping over at my cousins house.
4) SNES. Countless hours playing FF4 and Secret of Mana, Actraiser and Axelay
5) PS2: I've owned this now for 10 years and I'm just now starting to appreciate this RPG powerhouse.