As some of you might be aware, the alpha demo for the PS4 "Souls Clone" Nioh hit PSN this past tuesday. My first hour or 2 with the game left me feeling rather negative, but with the help of a friend who lives and breathes technical bullshit mechanics, I was able to receive the proper instruction (which the game does a TERRIBLE JOB of giving, by the way) and achieve the mindset necessary to break through that initial barrier of "what the shit am I doing dear god dear god." The game is as much about decreasing the enemies' stamina as their health bar, and you've gotta get used to those cancels too.
Anyway, Tecmo Koei's got a survey to fill out for all of you who got a chance to play it:
Nordic Americans: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_us
The Nippon: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_jp
I had some (I think) good critique to give and I'm interested to see what you all think.
1. Tone down equipment degradation for armor, especially since there doesn't seem to be any good way to keep an eye on it until its defense has ALREADY been halved. That's not great.
2. Make the target lock indicator stand out more, and consider having movement when locked on be a strafe. There were a few times I retreated and then tried guarding but I was facing the opposite direction. That's not great.
3. Dodging does a Ki Pulse in low stance, and attack skills do a Ki Pulse in high stance. Maybe have guard do a Ki Pulse in Mid stance.
4. I don't think elixirs heal enough.
5. There's a ton of items in this game, and only 3 shortcuts? The controller has an entire side of the touchpad free, use it to access a "quick menu for more shortcuts a la Blüdbourne.
All in all, my negative experience became a more positive one once I got a good handle on how you're generally meant to play, but this game is NOT for everyone. Heck, maybe even MORESO than the From Software property it imitates.