Author Topic: Artimicia's Food aid plea

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's Food aid plea
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
Replacing food with this stuff sounds like a great way to go insane.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »
A blender would probably do a better job, but again there's nothing in the official instructions about needing a blender.  It's kind of deceptive to pretend you don't need one if you actually do.

That's just how it is with those protein/meal replacement/whatever powder drink mixes. They sell 'em under the pretense that you can simply shake or stir 'em up, but of course that will never, ever match the mixing ability of a blender.
Using a food funnel, pour in a little bit of the mix at a time as the blender runs, and it should come out smooth as butter.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
Have you checked out BlueApron or GreenChef, Artimicia?

My dad has been doing that for a month and loves it. Everything comes in the box. Perishables last a few days so the ingredients are always fresh when they arrive. The food comes with a recipe that has pictures and directions under each step that are easy to follow. The end result? Getting restaurant quality food for a decent price IMO.

If I'm in a bind, I can always throw an omelet together with ingredients and spices I find in the kitchen or I'll make a sandwich melt or quesadilla. My go-to recipe though is heating up some sausage in a pot for a few minutes, transfer that over to the grill. Meanwhile, I cook up some pasta and sauce to which I add my own spices to the sauce. Badda bing badda boom.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Experiments with Soylent pt 3:

So I still have a bunch of this Soylent powder that I don't actually like and was trying to see what else I could do with it.  When you mix the powder with just a little bit of water (much less than you would use for the drink) it has a consistency almost like bread dough.  So the idea of making some sort of baked good out of it seemed worth a shot.

I looked around a bit and there are recipes out there.  I found one for Soylent muffins that I liked because it didn't add much.  There are others that add quite a few extra ingredients but I'm trying to maintain the nutritional completeness of the original formula.  So anything with added sugar/fat/etc. is no good.  I just want it to be more palatable.

But this muffin recipe looked promising and also quite simple.  I added some nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract for flavor and some steel cut oats for texture to my 'bread dough' mixture then put it in muffin cups and baked it.  Almost as simple as making something from a mix, really.  Unfortunately the end product left something to be desired...the recipe did warn that the muffins might be gooey on the inside but this was beyond simply being gooey.  I cooked them until the outside was golden brown and any more felt like it would be burning it but the inside was still practically raw.  I don't know exactly what it is about Soylent that makes it so hard to cook properly...but the outside edges that actually got cooked tasted good enough for me to give this another shot.  I think next time I will abandon the idea of making muffins at all and just put a thin layer of the dough in a jelly roll pan, and then cut it into bars or something.

And yes before anyone points it out I am aware of the irony of going through these baking experiments to use a product that is supposed to be all about bypassing baking.  But 1) I still have a bunch of this crap I want to use up.  And 2) these recipes are pretty simple and there is still some appeal to be able to make a bunch of muffins/bars/whatever in a batch that I can then eat whenever I don't want to bother cooking and still get a nutritionally complete meal out of it.

On the topic of nutritional completeness I do have some concerns about the baking process itself.  For instance it's pretty well known that vitamin C is very temperature sensitive and just the act of baking this stuff will destroy any vitamin C that was originally present.  I'm not too concerned about vitamin C itself because I can get enough from other sources, but I don't know enough to know what happens to everything else in it...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
I honestly applaud you for trying to use it all and not just throwing it out

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
I honestly applaud you for trying to use it all and not just throwing it out
^
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Oh MY GOD The Shake burger has CHEESE IN THE MIDDLE??!!!

Sacrilege!

UGH! Seriously who puts cheese in the middle of a burger, I think I've lost my interest in Shake Schack for now.

Plus those fancy pants NYC prices...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
That sounds pretty dang good, though.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
Ummm... the Jucy Lucy (a cheeseburger with melted cheese inside the beef patty) is an iconic sandwich  to Minneapolis in much the same way that the cheesesteak is iconic to Philadelphia or the pastrami on rye is iconic to New York City.  In other words, the "molten lava cheesburger" has been an Americana thing for decades and will continue to be an Americana thing.  Besides, I like the idea (even though I'll never eat one because vegetarian.)  It's like the burger version of molten lava cake. 

Yes, a vegetarian approved of the inside out cheeseburger. 

(Truth be told, the only meat eating that truly offends me is when people order a steak more than medium rare or fish more than rare.  If you order the doneness of your steak more than medium rare or fish more than rare, I will rake you over the coals as a culinary failure because you ruined/asked someone else to ruin perfectly good pieces of meat by overcooking it.  The poor animal's already dead, there's no need to kill it more.  So don't ruin, or ask people to ruin, steaks and fish.  Respect your food.) 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:19:02 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
Ummm... the Jucy Lucy (a cheeseburger with melted cheese inside the beef patty) is an iconic sandwich  to Minneapolis in much the same way that the cheesesteak is iconic to Philadelphia or the pastrami on rye is iconic to New York City.  In other words, the "molten lava cheesburger" has been an Americana thing for decades and will continue to be an Americana thing.  Besides, I like the idea (even though I'll never eat one because vegetarian.)  It's like the burger version of molten lava cake. 

Yes, a vegetarian approved of the inside out cheeseburger. 

(Truth be told, the only meat eating that truly offends me is when people order a steak more than medium rare or fish more than rare.  If you order the doneness of your steak more than medium rare or fish more than rare, I will rake you over the coals as a culinary failure because you ruined/asked someone else to ruin perfectly good pieces of meat by overcooking it.  The poor animal's already dead, there's no need to kill it more.  So don't ruin, or ask people to ruin, steaks and fish.  Respect your food.)

Well that's a cool history tip, but nonetheless, I've never had one and it does not sound good to me...

That looks good to me

I don't know if it's Olive Garden Breadsticks good but.... yeah.

Anyway these days I'm subsisting off Home Depot hot dog stands (it used to be a COMPusa hot dog stand), as an addendum to the always reliable Olive Garden.

I also saw a contest to go to Italy and eat things on TV somewhere so I thought about entering that...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:57:15 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.