Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Poland's Finest Hour

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 3: Poland's Finest Hour
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
I'l have a lot more to say soon, but I think it makes a pretty but clusterfucky first impression with way too many popups, menus, clicks, and other stuff. Feels a little janky.

After a few hours it comes together though, and it's quite fun. Fantastic atmosphere, really captures a unique European fantasy vibe.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
My plan was to get it free with the purchase of a new GTX960 (that deal's good til the end of the month, btw).

I was planning on doing the same.

Then I remembered I don't do much gaming on my PC, so I thought better of it...though if it's good till the end of the month, that gives me time to lose my senses again. If not, then I probably won't ever be getting Witcher 3. Doesn't seem like my kinda game from what I've seen.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
there's some semi-frequent technical hiccups on ps4, it might just be me for expecting it to be as polished as dragon age inquisition though. Also the inventory managing can be quite clunky later, especially if you end up hoarding stuff fallout 3 style.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:14 AM »
I'm still way behind on my Witcher playthoughs. Have both the first and second to beat before I take a bite into the third one (as well as a possible computer upgrade).

I have to say, for a game that was so largely anticipated, It's rather disappointing that while Dragon age III got 35, Final Fantasy XV is on 50 and the Tales of thread is now on its 125th page, this game is currently barely pushing 4 pages.
Heck, even a portable remake of a PS2 classic is getting more buzz on these forums than this game.

Ah well, I guess its my ever so growing dislike for the modern jRPG talking (among other things).
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 03:19:01 AM »
I do wish there was more chatter on this. Although maybe it's because everyone's playing!

It took over my weekend. Combat's a bit clunky (bit still fun) and the game has a lot of jank, but holy moly the quests and world design are just so good.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
I haven't played it yet but the graphical downgrade looks pretty horrendous. You guys gonna mention that in your review or do you take the stance that you're just judging the final product you get?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
I haven't played it yet but the graphical downgrade looks pretty horrendous. You guys gonna mention that in your review or do you take the stance that you're just judging the final product you get?

Really? Really!?

...wow.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »

Really? Really!?

...wow.

I have no idea which part you're objecting to. The fact that I care a lot about when they lie about graphics or the fact that I'd ask someone if they consider that relevant in the review? It wasn't supposed to be rhetorical (which maybe you thought). I was genuinely asking whether people consider that worth including in the review. That doesn't strike me as something there's a clear answer to.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:40:47 AM by timmyFd »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
Okay, I apologize. I haven't followed this game much at all and hadn't heard anything about graphical downgrades from anyone playing it. So I just assumed it was a swipe at the debate in the DQ8 thread, another conversation I haven't been paying all that close attention to.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 12:18:34 PM »
Haha! Detective rating E-. No, this is completely different beast. It's not an issue of graphical quality affecting the game, it's an issue of lying to generate more hype than the game might otherwise get.

I think the general wisdom is that this isn't within the remit of reviewers to cover, and that their job is just to review the final product they're given. I guess the problem that then arises is that you're left with an incentive structure where developers are free to lie as much as they want as long as the final game is good.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
So lessen learned: "Never put much stock into a big game that sells itself on graphics until the game is out." Lets file that between "don't fund a kickstarter that has next to nothing to show" and "don't buy a western grand-scale open world game until the inevitable game-breaking bugs have been ironed out." All of which should be under the category called "reasons not to pre-order games."

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
Haha! Detective rating E-. No, this is completely different beast. It's not an issue of graphical quality affecting the game, it's an issue of lying to generate more hype than the game might otherwise get.

I think the general wisdom is that this isn't within the remit of reviewers to cover, and that their job is just to review the final product they're given. I guess the problem that then arises is that you're left with an incentive structure where developers are free to lie as much as they want as long as the final game is good.

Oh my, what could have possibly happened between 2013 and 2015 that could be responsible for downgrading a games graphics?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:07:47 PM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »

Oh my, what could have possibly happened between 2013 and 2015 that could be responsible for downgrading a games graphics?

The second royal baby? ISIS? (I'm not actually sure what you're implying the answer is)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:22:25 PM by timmyFd »

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »

The second royal baby?

You're getting closer timmy, but no. Keep trying.
I'll give you a hint, it has something to do with stations, boxes and toasters.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:24:41 PM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
I think the game still looks pretty good, but yeah what they showed back in 2013 was really amazing (and as I recall it was actual working gameplay so it's not like it was just prerendered cutscenes or impossible angles like a lot of games show early on). Shame that they couldn't make the final game look nearly as good. Guessing it has a lot to do with how they had to make it work with consoles as well.

I seriously doubt it's worth bringing up in a review, it's ridiculously common for developers to hype their games with hyperbole and even straight lies, but it's not like that's a marketing tactic exclusive to video games so the only reason you should fall for it is if you're really naive. I don't see any reviews on this site mentioning the promised features in recent Bioware or Bethesda games, for example. I think the only one I can think of is Fable, and that's probably because it's the most infamous example of such (also it came out 10 years ago).